console font size - BSD

This is a discussion on console font size - BSD ; Hello, I'd like to know if it is possible to use a lower console font size, as is in a default installation of Slackware. Anyone know about this? Thanks, Steve...

  1. console font size

    Hello,

    I'd like to know if it is possible to use a lower console font size,
    as is in a default installation of Slackware. Anyone know about this?

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: console font size

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:34:42 UTC, Steven Borrelli
    wrote:

    > I'd like to know if it is possible to use a lower console font size,
    > as is in a default installation of Slackware. Anyone know about this?

    man vidcontrol

    should get you started...

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  3. Re: console font size

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:34:42 UTC, Steven Borrelli
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'd like to know if it is possible to use a lower console font size,
    > > as is in a default installation of Slackware. Anyone know about this?

    > man vidcontrol
    >
    > should get you started...

    On my laptop, which has an Intel graphics card, i use the following
    in /etc/rc.conf, which gives a very nice display:
    font8x16="iso15-thin-8x16.fnt"
    font8x14="iso15-8x14"
    font8x8="iso15-8x8"
    allscreens_flags="MODE_356 green black"
    Fonts are very small and clean this way. This requires a kernel
    with
    options SC_PIXEL_MODE

    --

    Michel TALON

  4. Re: console font size

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:58:10 UTC, talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel Talon)
    wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    > > On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:34:42 UTC, Steven Borrelli
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'd like to know if it is possible to use a lower console font size,
    > > > as is in a default installation of Slackware. Anyone know about this?

    > > man vidcontrol
    > >
    > > should get you started...
    > >

    > On my laptop, which has an Intel graphics card, i use the following
    > in /etc/rc.conf, which gives a very nice display:
    > font8x16="iso15-thin-8x16.fnt"
    > font8x14="iso15-8x14"
    > font8x8="iso15-8x8"
    > allscreens_flags="MODE_356 green black"
    > Fonts are very small and clean this way. This requires a kernel
    > with
    > options SC_PIXEL_MODE

    Exactly. All the possible options are explained in that man page (and
    its references).

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  5. Re: console font size

    In our last episode,
    <2150b411-77a7-47f7-a228-49e4041f55cd@a2g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
    the lovely and talented Steven Borrelli
    broadcast on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:

    > Hello,

    > I'd like to know if it is possible to use a lower console font size,
    > as is in a default installation of Slackware. Anyone know about this?

    See man vidcontrol. /etc/rc.conf should allow you to set font-8x16,
    font-8x14, and font-8x8. Depending on your choice of video mode, the system
    should pick the appropriate font, but if you want a smaller font than the
    video mode suggests. you could simply assign a smaller font to the
    font-8x?+ variables. You also can edit fonts with at least a couple of
    utilities in the ports, but it is a lot of trouble for a whim.

    --
    Lars Eighner SAVE BEASTIE! "What do you do when you're debranded?"
    usenet@larseighner.com http://larseighner.com/

+ Reply to Thread