Extreme NooB Question DesktopBSD and FTP config - BSD

This is a discussion on Extreme NooB Question DesktopBSD and FTP config - BSD ; Hi guys. Bear with me please I just got DesktopBSD installed Monday. It's basically FreeBSD 6.3 RC2 with KDE 3.5.8 as the GUI. Seems to mostly be working well. This is a VERY simple testbed machine; 2Gig ram 40Gig IDE ...

  1. Extreme NooB Question DesktopBSD and FTP config

    Hi guys. Bear with me please I just got DesktopBSD installed Monday.
    It's basically FreeBSD 6.3 RC2 with KDE 3.5.8 as the GUI. Seems to
    mostly be working well.

    This is a VERY simple testbed machine;
    2Gig ram
    40Gig IDE HD
    low end nvidia (256meg?) AGP video card
    simple 3Com 10/100 NIC
    Attached to internet through our company's aDSL router and temporarily
    using a static IP

    I have Apache1.3 Modperl installed and working (copied a dummy backup of
    our webpage to it and it's listening and responding to IP requests). So
    it's on the internet.

    My question is in FTP setup not Apache. I think (NooB alert) that
    FreeBSD comes with ftpd built in right? But I am not seeing all of my
    config files for FTP.

    I found my FTPusers file and the inetd.conf file but I am not finding my
    ftpchroot nor do I see ftpwelcome or ftpmotd files. Aren't they in
    the same directory?

    Now I am wondering if I properly installed FTP.

    Now if I have to install an FTP package (I don't mind doing that) which
    one should I go after? I will also need to remote in to the server to
    maintain it.

    Our eventual intent is to offer our clients an FTP area to upload and
    download collaboration files where they can see their multiple projects
    (probably multiple sub-directories) but not the projects (directories)
    of our other clients.

    We will have to monitor and manipulate this FTP interface and
    periodically clean these Project directories on a regular basis. So we
    need to have secured (remote) access to this server to be able to do that.

    Sorry that was so long winded - I'm new at this.

    tje

  2. Re: Extreme NooB Question DesktopBSD and FTP config

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:48:10 UTC, teastman <""
    wrote:

    > I found my FTPusers file and the inetd.conf file but I am not finding my
    > ftpchroot nor do I see ftpwelcome or ftpmotd files. Aren't they in
    > the same directory?

    You create them if you need them. They are not essential. See 'man
    ftpd'.

    You might consider installing vsftpd instead.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

+ Reply to Thread