portversion weirdness - BSD

This is a discussion on portversion weirdness - BSD ; I've been following the standard procedure outlined in the book "Absolute FreeBSD" and various websites on using portversion, portupgrade, and pkgdb to manage ports. Everything works great, but I think there may be problems with the database regarding port version ...

  1. portversion weirdness

    I've been following the standard procedure outlined in the book
    "Absolute FreeBSD" and various websites on using portversion,
    portupgrade, and pkgdb to manage ports.

    Everything works great, but I think there may be problems with the
    database regarding port version tracking. First, I noticed this on my
    laptop, after not using it for a few months, then cvsup-ing the ports
    tree and updating a bunch of my favorite ports, then doing a

    portversion -v -l "<"

    would suddenly return results that suggested that my installed
    versions were higher than what the ports tree had. Obviously this is
    incorrect, and I've tried running pkgdb -F and pkbdg -u to fix the
    database, but this changes nothing.

    Well, I didn't care much since it was just my laptop and I could still
    update things fine on it, but soon enough my main workstation started
    exhibiting the same behavior. Has anyone seen this or is there some
    database maintenance step I'm missing?

  2. Re: portversion weirdness

    Bruce C. Miller wrote:

    > Well, I didn't care much since it was just my laptop and I could still
    > update things fine on it, but soon enough my main workstation started
    > exhibiting the same behavior. Has anyone seen this or is there some
    > database maintenance step I'm missing?

    First off, make sure the date/time on your system is correct.

    --
    “Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.”
    Homer Simpson

  3. Re: portversion weirdness

    Bruce C. Miller wrote:
    > I've been following the standard procedure outlined in the book
    > "Absolute FreeBSD" and various websites on using portversion,
    > portupgrade, and pkgdb to manage ports.
    >
    > Everything works great, but I think there may be problems with the
    > database regarding port version tracking. First, I noticed this on my
    > laptop, after not using it for a few months, then cvsup-ing the ports
    > tree and updating a bunch of my favorite ports, then doing a
    >
    > portversion -v -l "<"

    'portversion -vL=' is similar but doesn't need quotes...

    > would suddenly return results that suggested that my installed
    > versions were higher than what the ports tree had. Obviously this is
    > incorrect,

    If you fetch the index file (make fetchindex or portsdb -F) rather than
    building it yourself, sometimes you'll get a slightly outdated version.
    In that case, portversion will tell you that you have installed ports
    that are newer. Check the version shown in the port Makefile to be
    really sure.

  4. Re: portversion weirdness

    On Oct 1, 6:51 pm, ToadWarrior wrote:
    > Bruce C. Miller wrote:
    > > Well, I didn't care much since it was just my laptop and I could still
    > > update things fine on it, but soon enough my main workstation started
    > > exhibiting the same behavior. Has anyone seen this or is there some
    > > database maintenance step I'm missing?

    > First off, make sure the date/time on your system is correct.
    >
    > --
    > “Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.”
    > Homer Simpson

    It is.

  5. Re: portversion weirdness

    On Oct 1, 7:48 pm, Warren Block wrote:
    > Bruce C. Miller wrote:
    >
    > > I've been following the standard procedure outlined in the book
    > > "Absolute FreeBSD" and various websites on using portversion,
    > > portupgrade, and pkgdb to manage ports.

    > > Everything works great, but I think there may be problems with the
    > > database regarding port version tracking. First, I noticed this on my
    > > laptop, after not using it for a few months, then cvsup-ing the ports
    > > tree and updating a bunch of my favorite ports, then doing a

    > > portversion -v -l "<"

    > 'portversion -vL=' is similar but doesn't need quotes...
    >
    > > would suddenly return results that suggested that my installed
    > > versions were higher than what the ports tree had. Obviously this is
    > > incorrect,

    > If you fetch the index file (make fetchindex or portsdb -F) rather than
    > building it yourself, sometimes you'll get a slightly outdated version.
    > In that case, portversion will tell you that you have installed ports
    > that are newer. Check the version shown in the port Makefile to be
    > really sure.

    Thanks, updating the index with portsdb -F seems to have done the
    trick for me. I suppose my ports tree update process wasn't updating
    it.

+ Reply to Thread