Gnome - Slow startup time. - BSD

This is a discussion on Gnome - Slow startup time. - BSD ; Hi people, I originally posted this to the freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org mailing list a couple of days ago and have had no response. Out of desperation I am posting here in hope someone may know what the problem is. ================================================== =========== Hi ...

  1. Gnome - Slow startup time.

    Hi people,

    couple of days ago and have had no response. Out of desperation I am
    posting here in hope someone may know what the problem is.

    Hi All,

    I am running Freebsd 7.1 Beta/i386

    I have a weird problem where gnome takes a very long time to start up.
    After logging in via gdm, the application menu and task bar at the
    bottom appears instantly, but the gnome splash screen stays in the
    middle of the screen for a good 2-3 minutes. No desktop icons are
    visible. After a couple of minutes has elapsed, the desktop icons appear
    and everything seems normal.

    I am able to ping $HOSTNAME (so it wouldn't be dns lookups slowing
    things down)

    I also have gnome_enable="YES" in my /etc/rc.conf

    I am not seeing anything major in my .xsession-errors, just a couple of
    warnings about secure memory for gnome keyring.

    Since that post, I have installed freebsd 7.1/i386 and cvsup'd it to
    RELENG-7 (seems to be 7.1-PRELEASE according to uname after a rebuild),
    did a buildworld, pkg_add'd xorg and gnome2.

    Same problem on a diff machine! Stock standard kernel too.

    Whats causing this silly issue!!

  2. Re: Gnome - Slow startup time.

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:10:23 +1000, alex wrote:

    > I am running Freebsd 7.1 Beta/i386
    >
    > I have a weird problem where gnome takes a very long time to start up.
    > After logging in via gdm, the application menu and task bar at the
    > bottom appears instantly, but the gnome splash screen stays in the
    > middle of the screen for a good 2-3 minutes. No desktop icons are
    > visible. After a couple of minutes has elapsed, the desktop icons appear
    > and everything seems normal.
    >
    > Same problem on a diff machine! Stock standard kernel too.
    >
    > Whats causing this silly issue!!

    I had the same issue on one of my servers when I was curious about Gnome
    on FreeBSD. But, being a server, I didn't find Gnome remotely necessary,
    so it remains disabled. I would like to know why it has such trouble
    starting, though.

  3. Re: Gnome - Slow startup time.

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:45:49 -0500, Sean Fritz wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:10:23 +1000, alex wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Freebsd 7.1 Beta/i386
    >>
    >> I have a weird problem where gnome takes a very long time to start up.
    >> After logging in via gdm, the application menu and task bar at the
    >> bottom appears instantly, but the gnome splash screen stays in the
    >> middle of the screen for a good 2-3 minutes. No desktop icons are
    >> visible. After a couple of minutes has elapsed, the desktop icons
    >> appear and everything seems normal.
    >>
    >> Same problem on a diff machine! Stock standard kernel too.
    >>
    >> Whats causing this silly issue!!

    > I had the same issue on one of my servers when I was curious about Gnome
    > on FreeBSD. But, being a server, I didn't find Gnome remotely
    > necessary, so it remains disabled. I would like to know why it has such
    > trouble starting, though.

    I'm no expert, but you can see a little of what is going on by looking
    for error messages in your ~/.xsession-errors file. In my experience
    these startup delays are caused by some component (often something like
    the power manager or the screen saver) timing-out while attempting to
    connect to one of the now-mandatory GNOME background daemons, such as
    hald, and failing. This sort of thing happens to me quite often, but
    then it seems to go away by itself for a while, before coming back
    again. Clearly there is something deeply flakey going on, but I don't
    know what. Probably several somethings competing for king-of-badness
    position. One thing that I've found to be sometimes effective is to
    delete all of your gnome dot-file state (~/.gnome*) and let gnome re-
    build it from scratch. The downside to this is that you then need to
    reapply all of your personalizations again from scratch. Almost enough
    grief to make me go back to using a config-file based window manager...

    Naah.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

  4. Re: Gnome - Slow startup time.

    Thanks for the replies guys,

    This has me stumped. I have the same issue on 2 different machines. Even
    creating a test user account and trying to log into gnome with it yields
    the same issue, even root has the same problem!

    I did find a google thread with others having the same issue, with with
    earlier version of freebsd, to it leads me to conclude its not specific
    to 7-stable.

    Should I bother with a PR?

  5. Re: Gnome - Slow startup time.

    alex wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies guys,
    >
    > This has me stumped. I have the same issue on 2 different machines. Even
    > creating a test user account and trying to log into gnome with it yields
    > the same issue, even root has the same problem!
    >
    > I did find a google thread with others having the same issue, with with
    > earlier version of freebsd, to it leads me to conclude its not specific
    > to 7-stable.
    >
    > Should I bother with a PR?

    I had a similar problem with gnome running slowly at startup.

    It turned out the problem was caused by not having my hostname resolve
    to an IP address. Adding an entry to /etc/hosts fixed the problem in my
    case.

    --
    “Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.”
    Homer Simpson

  6. Re: Gnome - Slow startup time.

    alex wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies guys,
    >
    > This has me stumped. I have the same issue on 2 different machines. Even
    > creating a test user account and trying to log into gnome with it yields
    > the same issue, even root has the same problem!
    >
    > I did find a google thread with others having the same issue, with with
    > earlier version of freebsd, to it leads me to conclude its not specific
    > to 7-stable.
    >
    > Should I bother with a PR?

    I had a similar problem with gnome running slowly at startup.

    It turned out the problem was caused by not having my hostname resolve
    to an IP address. Adding an entry to /etc/hosts fixed the problem in my
    case.

    --
    “Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.”
    Homer Simpson

  7. Re: Gnome - Slow startup time.

    ToadWarrior wrote:

    > alex wrote:
    >> Thanks for the replies guys,
    >>
    >> This has me stumped. I have the same issue on 2 different machines. Even
    >> creating a test user account and trying to log into gnome with it yields
    >> the same issue, even root has the same problem!
    >>
    >> I did find a google thread with others having the same issue, with with
    >> earlier version of freebsd, to it leads me to conclude its not specific
    >> to 7-stable.
    >>
    >> Should I bother with a PR?

    > I had a similar problem with gnome running slowly at startup.
    >
    > It turned out the problem was caused by not having my hostname resolve
    > to an IP address. Adding an entry to /etc/hosts fixed the problem in my
    > case.

    Likewise have host in /etc/hosts and Gnome runs OK here.
    Gnome has always wanted the above so I just do it now.
    Gnome likely starts a little more quickly than KDE.

    - I startup in Blackbox and go from there to KDE when useful to do so. Gnome
    only on-board to 'have a look' at it...

    cu
    --

    Bill