X not recognizing the sysmouse - BSD

This is a discussion on X not recognizing the sysmouse - BSD ; This is one I've never seen before . . . Everything configured nicerly, and the ever-so-useful mouse in the console works just fine. X configures nicely, and works, ut the mouse doesn't. The only error in .xsession-errors is for a ...

  1. X not recognizing the sysmouse

    This is one I've never seen before . . .

    Everything configured nicerly, and the ever-so-useful mouse in the
    console works just fine. X configures nicely, and works, ut the mouse
    doesn't.

    The only error in .xsession-errors is for a missing application.

    in xorg.conf, section ServerLayout has

    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"'

    Section InputDevice has

    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4" "5"

    (I manually changed the 3buttons setting)

    rc.conf enables moused, but moused was running before I uncommented
    that line. Could it starting from somewhere else (where???) be
    causing this problem?

    I have managed to type this in in firefox in X.

    thanks

    hawk

  2. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    dochawk wrote:

    > rc.conf enables moused, but moused was running before I uncommented
    > that line. Could it starting from somewhere else (where???) be
    > causing this problem?

    X or hal or sysmouse or something runs moused automatically if it
    doesn't find it already running. The behavior is different than
    enabling moused in /etc/rc.conf.

    http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.c...27.freebsd-x11
    http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.c...27.freebsd-x11

    It's on my list of things that I may eventually sometime if time permits
    get back to thinking about getting ready to see if investigating it
    should be placed on the list of things I may get around to doing
    sometime.

  3. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
    dochawk wrote:

    > This is one I've never seen before . . .
    >
    > Everything configured nicerly, and the ever-so-useful mouse in the
    > console works just fine. X configures nicely, and works, ut the mouse
    > doesn't.

    What does the mouse cursor do in X ? Does it sit still in the
    middle or shoot off to the left hand side ?

    > The only error in .xsession-errors is for a missing application.
    >
    > in xorg.conf, section ServerLayout has
    >
    > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"'
    >
    > Section InputDevice has
    >
    > Identifier "Mouse0"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "Protocol" "auto"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"

    Does /dev/sysmouse exist ?

    > rc.conf enables moused, but moused was running before I uncommented
    > that line. Could it starting from somewhere else (where???) be
    > causing this problem?

    That's odd.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  4. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
    > dochawk wrote:
    > > Everything configured nicerly, and the ever-so-useful mouse in the
    > > console works just fine. X configures nicely, and works, ut the mouse
    > > doesn't.

    > What does the mouse cursor do in X ? Does it sit still in the
    > middle or shoot off to the left hand side ?

    It sits in the middle. Today it's an arrow, but I think it was an X
    yesterday.

    > Does /dev/sysmouse exist ?

    Yes. Yesterday, there was a functional mouse on the consoles; today
    there is not.

    However, /etc/rc.d/moused reports a running process. The behavior
    does not change after restartin the daemon.

    > > rc.conf enables moused, but moused was running before I uncommented
    > > that line. Could it starting from somewhere else (where???) be
    > > causing this problem?

    > That's odd.

    Annoying, too

    I am running hal for Sam's atheros patch to use my wifi. I'm also
    using the nvidia x11 driver.

    hawk

  5. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
    dochawk wrote:

    > Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
    > > dochawk wrote:
    > > > Everything configured nicerly, and the ever-so-useful mouse in the
    > > > console works just fine. X configures nicely, and works, ut the mouse
    > > > doesn't.

    > > What does the mouse cursor do in X ? Does it sit still in the
    > > middle or shoot off to the left hand side ?

    > It sits in the middle. Today it's an arrow, but I think it was an X
    > yesterday.

    OK that lets out one common bug.

    > > Does /dev/sysmouse exist ?

    > Yes. Yesterday, there was a functional mouse on the consoles; today
    > there is not.
    >
    > However, /etc/rc.d/moused reports a running process. The behavior
    > does not change after restartin the daemon.

    Try killing moused (make sure it dies) and then running it with -d
    and -f arguments added. With a bit of luck there will be informative
    messages.

    > hawk

    Been missing you in afc BTW, 'twas a better place with you in it.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  6. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
    > dochawk wrote:
    > > > Does /dev/sysmouse exist ?

    > > Yes. Yesterday, there was a functional mouse on the consoles; today
    > > there is not.
    > >
    > > However, /etc/rc.d/moused reports a running process. The behavior
    > > does not change after restartin the daemon.

    > Try killing moused (make sure it dies) and then running it with -d
    > and -f arguments added. With a bit of luck there will be informative
    > messages.

    curiouser and curioser.

    IT tells me

    moused: proto params f8 80 00 00 8 00 ff
    moused: port : /dev/psm0 interface: ps/2 type: sysmous model:
    IntelliMouse

    It gives me plenty of activity when I move the mouse.

    Oh, and I think I said the pointer was an X previously; now it's an
    arrow in the middle of the screFen.

    > Been missing you in afc BTW, 'twas a better place with you in it.

    I'm trying to find my way back, but it seems that rather than a
    glitch, my newsserver was dropped without notice. I'll be back once I
    get an nntp server--reading it with google is just to painful.

  7. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
    dochawk wrote:

    > Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:10:09 -0700 (PDT)

    > > Try killing moused (make sure it dies) and then running it with
    > > -d and -f arguments added. With a bit of luck there will be informative
    > > messages.

    > curiouser and curioser.
    >
    > IT tells me
    >
    > moused: proto params f8 80 00 00 8 00 ff
    > moused: port : /dev/psm0 interface: ps/2 type: sysmous model:
    > IntelliMouse
    >
    > It gives me plenty of activity when I move the mouse.

    Sounds promising - does X work under these conditions ? If so look
    in /etc/rc.conf and see if it's getting launched with iffy parameters.

    > Oh, and I think I said the pointer was an X previously; now it's an
    > arrow in the middle of the screFen.
    >

    > > Been missing you in afc BTW, 'twas a better place with you in
    > > it.

    > I'm trying to find my way back, but it seems that rather than a
    > glitch, my newsserver was dropped without notice. I'll be back once I
    > get an nntp server--reading it with google is just to painful.

    Try motzarella.org - it's free with effective splorge and spam
    filters - it works for me.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  8. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    On Oct 7, 5:43 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

    [moused -d -f]

    > > IT tells me

    > > moused: proto params f8 80 00 00 8 00 ff
    > > moused: port : /dev/psm0 interface: ps/2 type: sysmous model:
    > > IntelliMouse

    > > It gives me plenty of activity when I move the mouse.

    > Sounds promising - does X work under these conditions ? If so look
    > in /etc/rc.conf and see if it's getting launched with iffy parameters.

    X works entirely save for the mouse; I've been using it with firefox
    to post these (until this message,
    sent from firefox on the darkside)

    I got irritated enough to rip it all out; there were a couple of
    other odd quirks, like vipw not working
    even after a couple of updates an buildworlds.

    I very cleverly deleted the extra servers in xorg configurattion--
    including vga. I've now learned
    about rmconfig, but not before wiping the freshly built ports

    > > > Been missing you in afc BTW, 'twas a better place with you in
    > > > it.

    > > I'm trying to find my way back, but it seems that rather than a
    > > glitch, my newsserver was dropped without notice. I'll be back once I
    > > get an nntp server--reading it with google is just to painful.

    > Try motzarella.org - it's free with effective splorge and spam
    > filters - it works for me.

    I have it working for their public access groups, but once more, the
    battle with trn for authentication on an external server is
    engaged . . . I have my old file from before the earthlink server was
    yanked.

    What do I use for the user name on that? the bare username for
    motzarella? username@motzarella.org? the email address I created
    with them?

  9. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    On Oct 12, 4:03*pm, dochawk wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 5:43 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:> On Sat,4 Oct200818:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
    >
    > *[moused -d -f]
    >
    > > > IT tells me

    > > > moused: proto params f8 80 00 00 8 00 ff
    > > > moused: port : /dev/psm0 interface: ps/2 *type: sysmous model:
    > > > IntelliMouse

    > > > It gives me plenty of activity when I move the mouse.

    > > * * * * Sounds promising - doesXwork under these conditions ? If so look
    > > in /etc/rc.conf and see if it's getting launched with iffy parameters.

    > Xworks entirely save for the mouse; I've been using it with firefox
    > to post these (until this message,
    > sent from firefox on the darkside)
    >
    > I got irritated enough to rip it all *out; there were a couple of
    > other odd quirks, like vipw not working
    > even after a couple of updates an buildworlds.
    >
    > I very cleverly deleted the extra servers in xorg configurattion--
    > including vga. * I've now learned
    > about rmconfig, but not before wiping the freshly built ports

    Ah-hah! i
    This time, I got X working before adding the nvidia drivers or
    swapping ath for a newer version, and I now have mouse, nvidia, and
    wireless. Still a couple of bugs on the wireless, but I should even
    have it running encrypted soon.

    Now to continue the battle with trn & motzarella.org . . .

    hawk

  10. Re: X not recognizing the sysmouse

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 20:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
    dochawk wrote:

    > Now to continue the battle with trn & motzarella.org . . .

    Try putting leafnode in the middle.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/