BBS/Forum port? - BSD

This is a discussion on BBS/Forum port? - BSD ; Hello, Can anyone recommend a port? I'm looking for a BBS/Forum type of package of the type which is in prevalent use in web sites all over the internet. If not a port then any other downloadable BBS/forum system. Thanks....

  1. BBS/Forum port?

    Hello,

    Can anyone recommend a port? I'm looking for a BBS/Forum type
    of package of the type which is in prevalent use in web sites all
    over the internet. If not a port then any other downloadable BBS/forum
    system.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: BBS/Forum port?

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:10:29 +0100, John wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a port? I'm looking for a BBS/Forum type of package
    > of the type which is in prevalent use in web sites all over the
    > internet. If not a port then any other downloadable BBS/forum system.

    You won't find a port/package because these are web server applications.
    First you install a web server. There are several available in the ports.
    After you have your web server installed and _configured_ to make sure
    that it is secure, then you install the web server applications, one of
    which is forum software.

    There is a comprehensive list of available Forum Software found here:
    http://thinkofit.com/webconf/forumsoft.htm

    At minimum, you will also need to install a database application. Which
    one, depends on which forum software you select. There may be other
    applications required in addition to the database. What these are,
    depends on the forum software you select.

  3. Re: BBS/Forum port?

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:20:04 -0500
    Speechless wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:10:29 +0100, John wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a port? I'm looking for a BBS/Forum type of package
    > > of the type which is in prevalent use in web sites all over the
    > > internet. If not a port then any other downloadable BBS/forum system.
    > >

    > You won't find a port/package because these are web server applications.

    There are at least the latest versions of phpbb and a somewhat older
    yabb in the ports tree:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi...orum&stype=all

    Michael

  4. Re: BBS/Forum port?

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:01:46 +0200, Michael Ross wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:20:04 -0500
    > Speechless wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:10:29 +0100, John wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone recommend a port? I'm looking for a BBS/Forum type of
    >> > package of the type which is in prevalent use in web sites all over
    >> > the internet. If not a port then any other downloadable BBS/forum
    >> > system.
    >> >

    >> You won't find a port/package because these are web server applications.

    > There are at least the latest versions of phpbb and a somewhat older yabb
    > in the ports tree:
    >
    > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi...orum&stype=all
    >

    > Michael

    ah! I thought so, next i will have to recompile thttpd with php
    for these to work i believe.
    ho hum.

+ Reply to Thread