Exiting X server crashes system - BSD

This is a discussion on Exiting X server crashes system - BSD ; Hi, I installed 7.0 from the CD with X. Startx was very slow (>2 mins) but eventually worked, and loaded I think twm which was pretty useless.. so I tried to exit with the normal ctrl+alt+backspace but screen went black ...

  1. Exiting X server crashes system

    Hi,

    I installed 7.0 from the CD with X. Startx was very slow (>2 mins) but
    eventually worked, and loaded I think twm which was pretty useless..
    so I tried to exit with the normal ctrl+alt+backspace but screen went
    black and the entire system hung - i.e. my remote session aborted and
    the keyboard leds stopped responding too.

    After many hours googling and reinstalling I eventually got mouse
    working and installed fluxbox wm from the ports. I also did Xorg -
    configure and put `exec startfluxbox` in .xinitrc. Starts up fine and
    works really well, until I want to exit X when it hangs. I tried
    exiting with "init 6" and it also crashes.

    This is quite a big problem as this machine has no case so I
    physically contact the jumpers with a penknife to reboot it :P This
    obviously corrupts the filesystem, one time my user accounts were
    corrupted and root became passwordless.

    I have never touched FreeBSD until today and I only use command line
    on linux. Could anyone give me some idea of how to diagnose and fix
    this problem?

    Thanks
    Herman

  2. Re: Exiting X server crashes system

    hermante@gmail.com wrote:

    > I installed 7.0 from the CD with X. Startx was very slow (>2 mins) but
    > eventually worked, and loaded I think twm which was pretty useless..

    That long a time for startx sounds wrong, but without details of the
    system and graphics card, it's hard to say. Could be DNS timeouts, too.

    twm is a default you get free. It's enough to make sure X works without
    all the overhead of the popular desktop environments.

    > so I tried to exit with the normal ctrl+alt+backspace but screen went
    > black and the entire system hung - i.e. my remote session aborted and
    > the keyboard leds stopped responding too.

    Happens with some graphics cards, like Unichrome with DRI enabled. Or
    it could be some other problem.

    > After many hours googling and reinstalling I eventually got mouse
    > working and installed fluxbox wm from the ports. I also did Xorg -
    > configure and put `exec startfluxbox` in .xinitrc. Starts up fine and
    > works really well, until I want to exit X when it hangs. I tried
    > exiting with "init 6" and it also crashes.

    Please give exact error messages or behavior in addition to hardware
    information.

  3. Re: Exiting X server crashes system

    Thanks for replying Warren.

    It is an onboard graphics, some sort of VIA chipset. The processor is
    athlon xp 2400+

    scanpci gives this

    pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0x3116
    VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8375 [KM266/KL266] Host Bridge
    pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x01 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0xb091
    VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
    pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x11 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0x3177
    VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
    pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x5333 device 0x8d04
    S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]

    There aren't any error messages, it just hangs when I try to exit X.
    As you said the long startup may be DNS problem as the machine has
    only connection to a hub but not to the internet.

    Some possibly relevant lines from Xorg.0.log

    (II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 495 64KB banks (31680kB)
    (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 30.00-62.00 kHz
    (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using vrefresh range of 55.00-75.00 Hz
    (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using maximum pixel clock of 100.00 MHz
    (WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size

    (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 31680 kB
    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR Family BIOS
    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 2.0
    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: S3 Garphics Incorporated.
    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: VBE 3.0
    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Rev 0.0
    (WW) VESA(0): Failed to set write-combining range
    (0xe0000000,0x1ef0000)
    (II) VESA(0): virtual address = 0x28964000,
    physical address = 0xe0000000, size = 32440320
    (==) VESA(0): Write-combining range (0x0,0x1000) was already clear

    This last line is repeated about 200 times throughtout the file.

    No idea where else to look. How would I go about checking if I have
    the best driver for this graphics controller and possibly getting a
    new one?

    Thanks
    Herman

    On Sep 26, 1:21*am, Warren Block wrote:

    > That long a time for startx sounds wrong, but without details of the
    > system and graphics card, it's hard to say. *Could be DNS timeouts, too..
    >
    > Happens with some graphics cards, like Unichrome with DRI enabled. *Or
    > it could be some other problem.
    >
    > Please give exact error messages or behavior in addition to hardware
    > information.

  4. Re: Exiting X server crashes system

    OK, the long startup time is fixed by adding my hostname to /etc/
    hosts.
    The crashing problem is fixed by installing the xf86-video-savage from
    ports. I think I get the hang of this now

    On Sep 26, 9:11*pm, herma...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for replying Warren.
    >
    > It is an onboard graphics, some sort of VIA chipset. The processor is
    > athlon xp 2400+
    >
    > scanpci gives this
    >
    > pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0x3116
    > *VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8375 [KM266/KL266] Host Bridge
    > pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x01 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0xb091
    > *VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
    > pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x11 function 0x00: vendor 0x1106 device 0x3177
    > *VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
    > pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x5333 device 0x8d04
    > *S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
    >
    > There aren't any error messages, it just hangs when I try to exit X.
    > As you said the long startup may be DNS problem as the machine has
    > only connection to a hub but not to the internet.
    >
    > Some possibly relevant lines from Xorg.0.log
    >
    > (II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 495 64KB banks (31680kB)
    > (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 30.00-62.00 kHz
    > (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using vrefresh range of 55.00-75.00 Hz
    > (II) VESA(0): Monitor0: Using maximum pixel clock of 100.00 MHz
    > (WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
    >
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 31680 kB
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR Family BIOS
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 2.0
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: S3 Garphics Incorporated.
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: VBE 3.0
    > (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Rev 0.0
    > (WW) VESA(0): Failed to set write-combining range
    > (0xe0000000,0x1ef0000)
    > (II) VESA(0): virtual address = 0x28964000,
    > physical address = 0xe0000000, size = 32440320
    > (==) VESA(0): Write-combining range (0x0,0x1000) was already clear
    >
    > This last line is repeated about 200 times throughtout the file.
    >
    > No idea where else to look. How would I go about checking if I have
    > the best driver for this graphics controller and possibly getting a
    > new one?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Herman
    >
    > On Sep 26, 1:21*am, Warren Block wrote:
    >

    > > That long a time for startx sounds wrong, but without details of the
    > > system and graphics card, it's hard to say. *Could be DNS timeouts, too.

    > > Happens with some graphics cards, like Unichrome with DRI enabled. *Or
    > > it could be some other problem.

    > > Please give exact error messages or behavior in addition to hardware
    > > information.

  5. Re: Exiting X server crashes system

    hermante@gmail.com wrote:

    > OK, the long startup time is fixed by adding my hostname to /etc/
    > hosts. The crashing problem is fixed by installing the
    > xf86-video-savage from ports. I think I get the hang of this now

    To make it easier to help you in the future, please avoid top-posting,
    trim your responses, and don't post the same question to multiple
    places, at least not at the same time.

    The ProSavage was the motherboard video I was thinking of with lockup
    problems. It's just the video, the machine still seems to be running.
    The last one I set up has been out in use (with DRI disabled) for the
    last few years. It should be coming back to me for an update sometime
    soon, and if it still has problems under 7.x and recent xorg I hope to
    work on debugging it.