Is it possible to get an old module to work with 7 kernel? - BSD

This is a discussion on Is it possible to get an old module to work with 7 kernel? - BSD ; In 5* and 6* my Olympus camera mounted with umass as an msdos drive (da?s1). With 7-STABLE umass panics. Is there some way of making an old umass module work with the new kernel? Downgrading the whole system for a ...

  1. Is it possible to get an old module to work with 7 kernel?

    In 5* and 6* my Olympus camera mounted with umass as an msdos drive (da?s1).

    With 7-STABLE umass panics.

    Is there some way of making an old umass module work with the new kernel?
    Downgrading the whole system for a camera seems rather drastic, but I am not
    sure what else to do.

    --
    Lars Eighner SAVE BEASTIE! "What do you do when you're debranded?"
    usenet@larseighner.com http://larseighner.com/

  2. Re: Is it possible to get an old module to work with 7 kernel?

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:53:36 +0000 (UTC),
    Lars Eighner wrote:
    > In 5* and 6* my Olympus camera mounted with umass as an msdos drive (da?s1).
    >
    > With 7-STABLE umass panics.
    >
    > Is there some way of making an old umass module work with the new kernel?
    > Downgrading the whole system for a camera seems rather drastic, but I am not
    > sure what else to do.

    Write a PR? Especially now with 7.1 upcoming, detailed problem reports
    seem to be in order.

    I don't know whether it's possible to downgrade umass that way as I have
    no idea what the relevant KPI changes are. You could try and find out, of
    course, but it'll likely be more work than downgrading the entire system.

  3. Re: Is it possible to get an old module to work with 7 kernel?

    Lars Eighner wrote:

    > Downgrading the whole system for a camera seems rather drastic, but I am not
    > sure what else to do.

    You should fill a PR for this and ask on the freebsd-stable@ mailing
    list.

    Compile a kernel with WITNESS and all debugging options on, then you
    should get a crash dump of the panic.
    See
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...rneldebug.html

    Hope this help.

  4. Solved (Was: Is it possible to get an old module to work with 7 kernel?)

    In our last episode, , the
    lovely and talented Lars Eighner broadcast on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:

    > In 5* and 6* my Olympus camera mounted with umass as an msdos drive (da?s1).

    > With 7-STABLE umass panics.

    > Is there some way of making an old umass module work with the new kernel?
    > Downgrading the whole system for a camera seems rather drastic, but I am not
    > sure what else to do.

    As it turns out, the Olympus card can be read from my HP printer using the
    HP Device Manager from the hplip port. This is not really the right
    solution, as it used to possible to read the camera as a flash drive with
    umass loaded (which cannot happen at boot to avoid the printer, which must be
    a ugen device, being grabbed by umass).

    --
    Lars Eighner SAVE BEASTIE! "What do you do when you're debranded?"
    usenet@larseighner.com http://larseighner.com/
    TIP: Save a ttyvX scrollback buffer where X is the ttyv number with
    #vidcontrol -PH < /dev/ttyvX > capture-file.txt

+ Reply to Thread