TUN/TAP frustration - BSD

This is a discussion on TUN/TAP frustration - BSD ; I'm trying to install TUN/TAP ( http://vtun.sourceforge.net/tun/ ) on FreeBSD 7.0. Which package should I use? Of the packages on that page, the all fail with /bin/sh dependencies. (I'm assuming the /bind/sh dependency is because I'm trying to install the ...

  1. TUN/TAP frustration

    I'm trying to install TUN/TAP (http://vtun.sourceforge.net/tun/) on
    FreeBSD 7.0.

    Which package should I use? Of the packages on that page, the all
    fail with /bin/sh dependencies.
    (I'm assuming the /bind/sh dependency is because I'm trying to install
    the wrong OS package on BSD. Is this correct?)

    Thank you

  2. Re: TUN/TAP frustration

    MVSGuy wrote:

    > I'm trying to install TUN/TAP (http://vtun.sourceforge.net/tun/) on
    > FreeBSD 7.0.

    Why? Simply no need...

    > Which package should I use? Of the packages on that page, the all
    > fail with /bin/sh dependencies.

    No packages, nothing to install. Included in the operating system.

    > (I'm assuming the /bind/sh dependency is because I'm trying to install
    > the wrong OS package on BSD. Is this correct?)

    See man tun and man tap. These are already available in the system. Look at
    the age of what you quoted above. The FreeBSD one is for 4.0? Why on earth
    try to install code for 4.0 on a 7.x machine? You're just shooting yourself
    in the foot.

    tun is already built into the GENERIC kernel. In lieu of rebuilding a kernel
    to include tap, you can simply load the if_tap.ko kernel module. As far as
    setting it up for your needs, go through the man pages.

    -Jason

  3. Re: TUN/TAP frustration

    > tun is already built into the GENERIC kernel. In lieu of rebuilding a kernel
    > to include tap, you can simply load the if_tap.ko kernel module. As far as
    > setting it up for your needs, go through the man pages.
    >
    > -Jason

    Thank you for your reply. As you can see, I'm working with
    instructions that are greatly outdated
    (http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey/cook...s/herctcp.html )

    I was able to load if_tap.ko and confirm it's available using
    'kldstat'.

    At what point might I expect to see it show up under 'ifconfig'?

    Regards,
    MG

  4. Re: TUN/TAP frustration

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:53:25 -0700, MVSGuy wrote:

    >> tun is already built into the GENERIC kernel. In lieu of rebuilding a
    >> kernel to include tap, you can simply load the if_tap.ko kernel module.
    >> As far as setting it up for your needs, go through the man pages.
    >>
    >> -Jason

    > Thank you for your reply. As you can see, I'm working with instructions
    > that are greatly outdated
    > (http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey/cook...s/herctcp.html )
    >
    > I was able to load if_tap.ko and confirm it's available using 'kldstat'.
    >
    > At what point might I expect to see it show up under 'ifconfig'?

    According to the man page, just after you "ifconfig tap0 create"
    Never had occasion to do that sort of thing myself, though.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread