Newbee Alert - dump and USB drives - BSD

This is a discussion on Newbee Alert - dump and USB drives - BSD ; Sorry if this is grossly the wrong group for this newbie question but I was going to post this in the "a.p.c.o.f. newbie" group and there seems to be no activity in that forum. We've not installed FreeBSD 7.0 (yet) ...

  1. Newbee Alert - dump and USB drives

    Sorry if this is grossly the wrong group for this newbie question but
    I was going to post this in the "a.p.c.o.f. newbie" group and there
    seems to be no activity in that forum.

    We've not installed FreeBSD 7.0 (yet) but I've downloaded and burned the
    ISOs to do this.

    This will be for our new webserver which will need to be backed up
    system wise on a very infrequent basis. The webpage data itself will be
    downloaded and backed up via FTP access.

    The question is; does "dump" and "restore" allow writing to a simple
    attached USB drive? Looking in the Man Pages it refers to tape drives
    and floppies and DVDs.

    The ultimate goal is to (pardon the M$ windows term) DriveImage the hard
    drive to quickly rebuild the web server in the event of a hard drive
    meltdown.

    I did download the FreeBSD Handbook so I will be mining my way through
    that. But I haven't (yet) seen a reference to being able to "dump" to an
    attached USB drive.

    Make a snapshot first then write that to the USB drive?

    Thanks guys
    tje

  2. Re: Newbee Alert - dump and USB drives

    * teastman@classicengineering.com wrote:

    > This will be for our new webserver which will need to be backed up
    > system wise on a very infrequent basis. The webpage data itself will be
    > downloaded and backed up via FTP access.

    You might want to look at rsync, which should speed up your regular file
    based backup.

    > The question is; does "dump" and "restore" allow writing to a simple
    > attached USB drive? Looking in the Man Pages it refers to tape drives
    > and floppies and DVDs.

    Yes, USB drives are not really special. The usual way would be to mount a
    file system on the USB drive and write the dump to a file using "-f".

    Stefan
    --
    No reading beyond this point

  3. Re: Newbee Alert - dump and USB drives

    Stefan Walter wrote:
    > * teastman@classicengineering.com wrote:
    >
    >> This will be for our new webserver which will need to be backed up
    >> system wise on a very infrequent basis. The webpage data itself will be
    >> downloaded and backed up via FTP access.

    > You might want to look at rsync, which should speed up your regular file
    > based backup.
    >
    >> The question is; does "dump" and "restore" allow writing to a simple
    >> attached USB drive? Looking in the Man Pages it refers to tape drives
    >> and floppies and DVDs.

    > Yes, USB drives are not really special. The usual way would be to mount a
    > file system on the USB drive and write the dump to a file using "-f".
    >
    > Stefan

    Most excellent - and thank you!

  4. Re: Newbee Alert - dump and USB drives

    teastman@classicengineering.com wrote:

    > The question is; does "dump" and "restore" allow writing to a simple
    > attached USB drive? Looking in the Man Pages it refers to tape drives
    > and floppies and DVDs.

    Yes you can dump on any sort of drive.

    dump -0 -f /some/file /some/filesystem
    cd /some/filesystem; restore -f /some/file

    Important stuff : the -0 (zero level dump, that is everything)
    and the fact that dump operates on filsystems, not arbitrary
    directories (that is /some/filesystem must be a mount point of
    a complete filesystem, see /etc/fstab. You may need the -L option
    which uses UFS2 snapshots to freeze the state of a live filesystem.

    -f specifies a file which may be - (the standard output or input)
    allowing e.g. to send dumps remotely.

    --

    Michel TALON

+ Reply to Thread