Re: L2TP/IPSec on OpenBSD? - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: L2TP/IPSec on OpenBSD? - BSD ; On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 07:49:59 -0500, Aaron W. Hsu wrote: > Hello All, > > Does anyone know if OpenBSD supports L2TP over IPSec VPN connections? I > can't seem to get things working, but I am wondering if ...

  1. Re: L2TP/IPSec on OpenBSD?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 07:49:59 -0500, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > Does anyone know if OpenBSD supports L2TP over IPSec VPN connections? I
    > can't seem to get things working, but I am wondering if L2TP is even
    > supported at all. If it is, can somebody point me in the right
    > direction?
    >
    > Aaron Hsu

    Aaron,

    come up several times over the years; the last time at the end of 2007.
    The short answer is "no" -- all the longer answers suggest alternatives,
    such as OpenVPN or SSH tunneling.

  2. Re: L2TP/IPSec on OpenBSD?

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 02:17:59 -0500, Aaron W. Hsu scribbled:

    > I saw a reference to an OpenVPN solution, but I couldn't find any
    > information on actually using it, so I was wondering if someone has a
    > link to that?

    Aaron: OpenVPN has been in the ports tree and packages system since
    OpenBSD 3.5. There were some "HowTo" documents written by users in 2005,
    pointers to two of them may be found in the OpenBSD Journal. If you've
    never seen the Journal, click on http://undeadly.org

    You might be able to find more up to date information through the gentle
    art of Google Fu. Good luck to you.

  3. Re: L2TP/IPSec on OpenBSD?

    "Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
    news:0tWdnZHhs5I6dETVnZ2dnUVZ_vninZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Josh Grosse writes:
    >
    >>On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 07:49:59 -0500, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

    >>> Does anyone know if OpenBSD supports L2TP over IPSec VPN connections? I
    >>> can't seem to get things working, but I am wondering if L2TP is even
    >>> supported at all. If it is, can somebody point me in the right
    >>> direction?

    >>come up several times over the years; the last time at the end of 2007.
    >>The short answer is "no" -- all the longer answers suggest alternatives,
    >>such as OpenVPN or SSH tunneling.

    > I saw a reference to an OpenVPN solution, but I couldn't find any
    > information on actually using it, so I was wondering if someone has a
    > link to that?

    Heh - I lost my OpenVPN cherry on Sunday. Was surprisingly easy to set up,
    and works well. I suggest you refer to the OpenVPN Howto pages, perhaps
    supplemented with:

    http://blog.innerewut.de/2005/7/4/op...2-0-on-openbsd

    I'd also suggest you stick with a tun0 (not "tun" as in some of the
    docs)(i.e. routed) interface, rather than the tap (i.e. bridged) interface -
    it's basically easier and more efficient *unless* you explicitly need a
    bridge, and actually want e.g. broadcasts included in the tunnel.

    And yell if you need help. I don't check here often these days, but I'll try
    to come back soon...

    Steve
    --
    http://www.fivetrees.com