Where are fkey strings assigned? - BSD

This is a discussion on Where are fkey strings assigned? - BSD ; Where are the strings that fkeys send assigned? man atkbd points out there are 64 fkeys and list the keys to which they are usually mapped. Fkeys send ascii strings, such as fkey01 (usually mapped, on pc style keyboards anyway, ...

  1. Where are fkey strings assigned?

    Where are the strings that fkeys send assigned?

    man atkbd points out there are 64 fkeys and list the keys to which they are
    usually mapped. Fkeys send ascii strings, such as fkey01 (usually mapped,
    on pc style keyboards anyway, to F1) which sends '^[[M' (where ^[ is the
    escape character).

    However, it appears to me that some of the fkey strings are next to useless.
    For example, fkey56 appears to send '+' which is not so much of a problem,
    since it is usually mapped to keypad + (without num lock), as it seems
    redundant since keyboard + already sends '+' any key can be mapped to the
    single character + very easily. There is a similar situation with fkey52,
    usually mapped to keypad - witout num lock.

    So far as I can tell, the + sent by fkey56 is exactly identical to the +
    send by keyboard + (shift =), keypad + with num lock (or any other modifier
    key). Neither applications nor the shell seem to have anyway of telling
    whether the + came from a key mapped to + or a key mapped to fkey56.
    That's fine. If "Hello, world!" were mapped to fkey56, it *should* look to
    any application exactly as if the keyboard alpha/punctuation were punched
    one at a time.

    So where are the fkey strings set? And more to the point, can they be
    edited without recompiling everything?

    --
    Lars Eighner SAVE BEASTIE! "What do you do when you're debranded?"
    usenet@larseighner.com http://larseighner.com/

  2. Re: Where are fkey strings assigned?

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:09:45 +0000 (UTC),
    Lars Eighner wrote:
    > Where are the strings that fkeys send assigned?
    >
    > man atkbd points out there are 64 fkeys and list the keys to which
    > they are usually mapped. [...]

    And right above that list:

    Function Keys
    The AT keyboard has a number of function keys. They are numbered as fol-
    lows and can be associated with strings by the kbdcontrol(1) command.

    Which leads us to:

    -f # string
    Set function key number # to send string. Refer to the man page
    for the keyboard driver (e.g. atkbd(4)) for available function
    keys and their numbers.