pf almost where I need it but I'm stumped - BSD

This is a discussion on pf almost where I need it but I'm stumped - BSD ; I have a pf firewall setup like so: internet -> 2wire DSL router -> [obsd + pf + NAT box] -> switch internal network I can see the internet fine outbound and I can ping and ssh to any box ...

  1. pf almost where I need it but I'm stumped

    I have a pf firewall setup like so:
    internet -> 2wire DSL router -> [obsd + pf + NAT box] -> switch <->
    internal network

    I can see the internet fine outbound and I can ping and ssh to any box
    on the internal network from the outside. I can also see my webpage.
    Buth there are two things I can't nail down.
    1. There's a link on the webpage that goes to a .htaccess protected
    folder. From the internal network I can click that link, answer the
    auth user and password and I can get to the content of the folder.
    From the internet I can get the webpage but when I click the link it
    just sits there, never sending me the .htaccess auth box. What
    protocol or port is involved in this? The DSL router is set to allow
    ssh and http requests in and any traffic out (I'll double check this
    last statement.)
    And,
    2. Concurrent with the installation of the firewall but possibly just
    a coincidence, I can no longer print from any host on the internal
    network to an HP laserjet4 with a jetdirect card. I can ping it. I'm
    under the impression the print job goes directly from a host on the
    internal network through the switch and to the printer without ever
    having to be passed through the firewall's ruleset. If that is indeed
    the case then the jetdirect card has died and I'll borrow one from
    work to check this theory out. Would a setup as described above
    include the firewall in host-to-host packets?

    thanks

    tf

  2. Re: pf almost where I need it but I'm stumped

    On Sep 16, 6:29 pm, thefro...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a pf firewall setup like so:
    > internet -> 2wire DSL router -> [obsd + pf + NAT box] -> switch <->
    > internal network
    >
    > I can see the internet fine outbound and I can ping and ssh to any box
    > on the internal network from the outside. I can also see my webpage.
    > Buth there are two things I can't nail down.
    > 1. There's a link on the webpage that goes to a .htaccess protected
    > folder. From the internal network I can click that link, answer the
    > auth user and password and I can get to the content of the folder.
    > From the internet I can get the webpage but when I click the link it
    > just sits there, never sending me the .htaccess auth box. What
    > protocol or port is involved in this? The DSL router is set to allow
    > ssh and http requests in and any traffic out (I'll double check this
    > last statement.)
    > And,
    > 2. Concurrent with the installation of the firewall but possibly just
    > a coincidence, I can no longer print from any host on the internal
    > network to an HP laserjet4 with a jetdirect card. I can ping it. I'm
    > under the impression the print job goes directly from a host on the
    > internal network through the switch and to the printer without ever
    > having to be passed through the firewall's ruleset. If that is indeed
    > the case then the jetdirect card has died and I'll borrow one from
    > work to check this theory out. Would a setup as described above
    > include the firewall in host-to-host packets?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > tf

    Fixed, FWIW. And yes, I'm a bonehead.

    tf