PCBSD ssh out - BSD

This is a discussion on PCBSD ssh out - BSD ; Hi all, I can ssh out on PCBSD, but I can not ssh into my BSD box. Any ideas? I have googled relentlessly, but no luck. My BSD box denies me access to it. Says: ssh 192.168.2.101 ssh: connect to ...

  1. PCBSD ssh out

    Hi all,

    I can ssh out on PCBSD, but I can not ssh into my BSD box. Any ideas? I
    have googled relentlessly, but no luck. My BSD box denies me access to
    it. Says:

    ssh 192.168.2.101
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.101 port 22: Connection refused

    What's going on here?

    Thanks,

    tsai

  2. Re: PCBSD ssh out

    Begin <48cf8694$0$17644$ec3e2dad@unlimited.usenetmonster. com>
    On 16 Sep 2008 10:12:36 GMT, tsai wrote:
    > I can ssh out on PCBSD, but I can not ssh into my BSD box. Any ideas? I
    > have googled relentlessly, but no luck. My BSD box denies me access to
    > it. Says:

    `PCBSD' or `BSD'? Both exist and there is a difference. I'm going to
    read `PCBSD'. Next time, please write that, and include version numbers
    and so on. Altough probably not in this case, they might turn out to be
    important.

    > ssh 192.168.2.101
    > ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.101 port 22: Connection refused
    >
    > What's going on here?

    You're telling your ssh client program to connect to 192.168.2.101
    port 22 (the default) and it tells you that the other side isn't
    listening to your request; it refuses to answer. Pretty much what
    the error message says.

    Now, if I was to hazard a guess as to why it does that, I'd say that
    would be because the other side is not running a ssh server (ssh daemon,
    sshd).

  3. Re: PCBSD ssh out

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:19:15 +0000, jpd wrote:

    > Begin <48cf8694$0$17644$ec3e2dad@unlimited.usenetmonster. com> On 16 Sep
    > 2008 10:12:36 GMT, tsai wrote:
    >> I can ssh out on PCBSD, but I can not ssh into my BSD box. Any ideas? I
    >> have googled relentlessly, but no luck. My BSD box denies me access to
    >> it. Says:

    > `PCBSD' or `BSD'? Both exist and there is a difference. I'm going to read
    > `PCBSD'. Next time, please write that, and include version numbers and so
    > on. Altough probably not in this case, they might turn out to be
    > important.
    >

    >> ssh 192.168.2.101
    >> ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.101 port 22: Connection refused
    >>
    >> What's going on here?

    > You're telling your ssh client program to connect to 192.168.2.101 port 22
    > (the default) and it tells you that the other side isn't listening to your
    > request; it refuses to answer. Pretty much what the error message says.
    >
    > Now, if I was to hazard a guess as to why it does that, I'd say that would
    > be because the other side is not running a ssh server (ssh daemon, sshd).

    could be so but pcbsd also comes with a firewall running by default.
    you can configure it somewhere in the system menu. kde-start-system etc.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  4. Re: PCBSD ssh out

    Hello,

    jpd wrote:
    > Begin <48cf8694$0$17644$ec3e2dad@unlimited.usenetmonster. com>
    > On 16 Sep 2008 10:12:36 GMT, tsai wrote:
    >> ssh 192.168.2.101
    >> ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.101 port 22: Connection refused
    >>
    >> What's going on here?

    > You're telling your ssh client program to connect to 192.168.2.101
    > port 22 (the default) and it tells you that the other side isn't
    > listening to your request; it refuses to answer. Pretty much what
    > the error message says.

    Well, technically, it *did* answer - it sent a RST packet, which means
    "I hereby refuse to talk to you on that port". Samne effect, though.

    > Now, if I was to hazard a guess as to why it does that, I'd say that
    > would be because the other side is not running a ssh server (ssh daemon,
    > sshd).

    Yep.

    Question 1: is the ssh daemon running?

    - use ps(1) to find out.

    Question 2: is the ssh daemon listening on the IP address he tries
    to reach?

    - use netstat(1) (netstat -af inet) to find out

    Question 3: is there a firewall blocking access?

    - use ipfw(8) to find out.

    Regards

    Christoph Weber-Fahr

  5. Re: PCBSD ssh out

    On Sep 16, 5:12*am, tsai wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I can ssh out on PCBSD, but I can not ssh into my BSD box. Any ideas? I
    > have googled relentlessly, but no luck. *My BSD box denies me access to
    > it. Says:
    >
    > ssh 192.168.2.101
    > ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.101 port 22: Connection refused
    >
    > What's going on here?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > tsai

    Sounds like a firewall issue, or something with the sshd config file.
    So you can ssh out from your PCBSD machine. But you cannot ssh into
    your BSD system (BSD, meaning FreeBSD?). Either your firewall on the
    BSD box is blocking inbound port 22, or "PermitRootLogin no" is
    specified in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

+ Reply to Thread