screen and no more pty's - BSD

This is a discussion on screen and no more pty's - BSD ; Hi there, I have an error message which I have never seen before on all my FreeBSD installation. I upgraded an FreeBSD 6.3 installation to FreeBSD 7.1-p4 (with csup sources, make buildworld, make buildkernel.... etc.). I have done this many ...

  1. screen and no more pty's

    Hi there,

    I have an error message which I have never seen before on all my FreeBSD
    installation.

    I upgraded an FreeBSD 6.3 installation to FreeBSD 7.1-p4 (with csup
    sources, make buildworld, make buildkernel.... etc.). I have done this
    many times before, never had any problems with that.

    But suddenly screen wouldn't start anymore. I get these errors when I
    start screen:

    No more PTY's.
    Sorry, could not find a PTY.
    [screen is terminating]

    Of course I searched Google for an answer, but I did not find a solution.

    Does anyone know, what is going on?

    Grtz,
    Martijn

  2. Re: screen and no more pty's

    In article <48cd5565$0$3752$e4fe514c@dreader15.news.xs4all.nl>, - martijn - wrote:

    > I upgraded an FreeBSD 6.3 installation to FreeBSD 7.1-p4 (with csup
    > sources, make buildworld, make buildkernel.... etc.). I have done this
    > many times before, never had any problems with that.
    >
    > But suddenly screen wouldn't start anymore. I get these errors when I
    > start screen:
    >
    > No more PTY's.
    > Sorry, could not find a PTY.
    > [screen is terminating]
    >
    > Of course I searched Google for an answer, but I did not find a solution.

    It certainly sounds like you should update your ports collection
    and build the latest GNU screen. As a consequence of the port build,
    your new screen binary should see the correct pty ranges. If it
    doesn't, with the latest version of the port, please file a PR.

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...creen/Makefile

    --Karl

  3. Re: screen and no more pty's

    Karl Wiebe wrote:
    > In article <48cd5565$0$3752$e4fe514c@dreader15.news.xs4all.nl>, - martijn - wrote:
    >> I upgraded an FreeBSD 6.3 installation to FreeBSD 7.1-p4 (with csup
    >> sources, make buildworld, make buildkernel.... etc.). I have done this
    >> many times before, never had any problems with that.
    >>
    >> But suddenly screen wouldn't start anymore. I get these errors when I
    >> start screen:
    >>
    >> No more PTY's.
    >> Sorry, could not find a PTY.
    >> [screen is terminating]
    >>
    >> Of course I searched Google for an answer, but I did not find a solution.

    > It certainly sounds like you should update your ports collection
    > and build the latest GNU screen. As a consequence of the port build,
    > your new screen binary should see the correct pty ranges. If it
    > doesn't, with the latest version of the port, please file a PR.
    >
    > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...creen/Makefile
    >
    > --Karl

    Sorry for not mentioning it, but I did update the ports collection and I
    rebuild all my ports, including screen.

    I also checked and made sure that 'device pty' is in my custom kernel
    config.

    The strange thing is that I have several other FreeBSD 7.1 installation,
    which don't have this problem at all....

    Martijn

  4. Re: screen and no more pty's

    - martijn - wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have an error message which I have never seen before on all my FreeBSD
    > installation.
    >
    > I upgraded an FreeBSD 6.3 installation to FreeBSD 7.1-p4 (with csup
    > sources, make buildworld, make buildkernel.... etc.). I have done this
    > many times before, never had any problems with that.
    >
    > But suddenly screen wouldn't start anymore. I get these errors when I
    > start screen:
    >
    > No more PTY's.
    > Sorry, could not find a PTY.
    > [screen is terminating]
    >
    > Of course I searched Google for an answer, but I did not find a solution.
    >
    > Does anyone know, what is going on?

    Do an ls -l of the ptys and see if they are being deallocated (reassigned to root).
    If not, a reboot should reset them.

    > Grtz,
    > Martijn

  5. Re: screen and no more pty's

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:

    > Do an ls -l of the ptys and see if they are being deallocated (reassigned to root).
    > If not, a reboot should reset them.

    I already rebooted the machine, no luck.

    This is what I get with a 'ls -l /dev/pty*':

    crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 94 Sep 15 19:51 /dev/ptyp0

    No more... other FreeBSD 7.1 show this:

    crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 133 Sep 15 12:53 /dev/ptyp0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 135 Sep 15 12:53 /dev/ptyp1
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 137 Sep 15 19:52 /dev/ptyp2

    Do I miss some pty's? If so, how are these created?

    Martijn

  6. Re: screen and no more pty's

    In article <48cea102$0$3194$e4fe514c@dreader28.news.xs4all.nl>, - martijn - wrote:

    > I already rebooted the machine, no luck.
    >
    > This is what I get with a 'ls -l /dev/pty*':
    >
    > crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 94 Sep 15 19:51 /dev/ptyp0
    >
    > No more... other FreeBSD 7.1 show this:
    >
    > crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 133 Sep 15 12:53 /dev/ptyp0
    > crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 135 Sep 15 12:53 /dev/ptyp1
    > crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 137 Sep 15 19:52 /dev/ptyp2
    >
    > Do I miss some pty's? If so, how are these created?

    Normally, devfs should take care of the allocation on the fly. Are
    you using devfs on all the newly-upgraded-to-7.1 machines?

    Are you using a custom kernel? If so, did you reuse a conf file
    from a previous version of FreeBSD?

    On the machine that's having trouble, was it upgraded from a different
    version of FreeBSD than the others? Was there any difference in how
    mergemaster ran?

    --Karl

  7. Re: screen and no more pty's

    Karl Wiebe wrote:

    > Normally, devfs should take care of the allocation on the fly.

    I already thought so...

    > Are you using devfs on all the newly-upgraded-to-7.1 machines?

    There is nothing in the /etc/devfs.conf files, if that's what you
    mean... btw I mistyped the 7.1 version, they are 7.0-p4 machines.

    > Are you using a custom kernel? If so, did you reuse a conf file
    > from a previous version of FreeBSD?

    I always use a custom kernel, but I did not reuse the conf file. I
    always copy the new GENERIC file to a new conf file and do the necessary
    from scratch.

    > On the machine that's having trouble, was it upgraded from a different
    > version of FreeBSD than the others? Was there any difference in how
    > mergemaster ran?

    Yes. This trouble machine is a 'old' testing machine. It went from
    FreeBSD 5.5 to FreeBSD 6.2 and I upgraded it to FreeBSD 7.0.

    The no-problem machines are upgraded from FreeBSD 6.2 to FreeBSD 7.0, or
    are new FreeBSD 7.0 installations.

    Best regards,
    Martijn

  8. Re: screen and no more pty's

    In article <48cf394b$0$3223$e4fe514c@dreader28.news.xs4all.nl>, - martijn - wrote:
    > Karl Wiebe wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you using devfs on all the newly-upgraded-to-7.1 machines?

    > There is nothing in the /etc/devfs.conf files, if that's what you
    > mean... btw I mistyped the 7.1 version, they are 7.0-p4 machines.

    Well, just to be ultra-clear, does the problem box have a devfs
    mounted on /dev? Last I knew, you could run FreeBSD without devfs,
    but then you'd have to make sure to "/bin/sh MAKEDEV all" in /dev
    (only if you're *not* running devfs).

    >> Are you using a custom kernel? If so, did you reuse a conf file
    >> from a previous version of FreeBSD?

    > I always use a custom kernel, but I did not reuse the conf file. I
    > always copy the new GENERIC file to a new conf file and do the necessary
    > from scratch.

    Well, that should be OK then. I take it you reviewed UPDATING for
    any relevant changes to the customizations you use?

    >> On the machine that's having trouble, was it upgraded from a different
    >> version of FreeBSD than the others? Was there any difference in how
    >> mergemaster ran?

    > Yes. This trouble machine is a 'old' testing machine. It went from
    > FreeBSD 5.5 to FreeBSD 6.2 and I upgraded it to FreeBSD 7.0.
    >
    > The no-problem machines are upgraded from FreeBSD 6.2 to FreeBSD 7.0, or
    > are new FreeBSD 7.0 installations.

    By some miracle, did you save the output from your mergemaster run,
    using script(1) or what have you? I would suspect something unfortunate
    happened, possibly corrupting your config w.r.t. devfs and /dev.

    You might also consider a fresh install on this problem box, it
    might save time in the long run (when compared with the detective
    work needed to isolate the problem).

    HTH, HAND.

    --Karl

  9. Re: screen and no more pty's

    Hi Karl,

    Karl Wiebe wrote:

    > Well, just to be ultra-clear, does the problem box have a devfs
    > mounted on /dev? Last I knew, you could run FreeBSD without devfs,
    > but then you'd have to make sure to "/bin/sh MAKEDEV all" in /dev
    > (only if you're *not* running devfs).

    Yes, devfs is mounted on /dev. MAKEDEV was removed on FreeBSD since
    devfs became mandatroy.

    > Well, that should be OK then. I take it you reviewed UPDATING for
    > any relevant changes to the customizations you use?

    Yep, I always check the UPDATING file before upgrading. :-)

    > By some miracle, did you save the output from your mergemaster run,
    > using script(1) or what have you? I would suspect something unfortunate
    > happened, possibly corrupting your config w.r.t. devfs and /dev.

    Hmmm, good tip for the next time.. ;-) But, no, I do not have any output.

    > You might also consider a fresh install on this problem box, it
    > might save time in the long run (when compared with the detective
    > work needed to isolate the problem).

    It is not an important production machine, so I already considered a
    fresh install.

    > HTH, HAND.
    >
    > --Karl

    Thanks for the help and the tips!