where is the FM for CPUTYPE? - BSD

This is a discussion on where is the FM for CPUTYPE? - BSD ; I haven't had a freebsd box live for a couple of years, but I can't take much more linux. I've forgotten a couple of things in the meantime, though. Where is the FM to figure out CPUTYPE for make.conf? I've ...

  1. where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    I haven't had a freebsd box live for a couple of years, but I can't
    take much more linux. I've forgotten a couple of things in the
    meantime, though.

    Where is the FM to figure out CPUTYPE for make.conf? I've googled
    high and low, but can't find anything other than fragments for
    specific processors. Grepping in /usr/src hasn't gotten me much
    farther.

    The particular processor (today) is a dual core turion 64, though I'm
    putting on the 32 bit i386 version. But surely the list of cputypes
    is documented *somewhere*?

    thanks

    hawk

    (email cc appreciated, as they seem to have dropped the newsserver
    from my isp and I'm not up to speed on google groups yet)

  2. Re: where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:45:39 -0700, dochawk@gmail.com wrote:

    > The particular processor (today) is a dual core turion 64, though I'm
    > putting on the 32 bit i386 version. But surely the list of cputypes is
    > documented *somewhere*?

    The list is in the man pages for the compiler. Look in the section for
    the -march options.

    --

    Dave Downing, Somerset U.K.
    No bytes were harmed in the making of this message.

  3. Re: where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    * dochawk@gmail.com :
    > Where is the FM to figure out CPUTYPE for make.conf? I've googled
    > high and low, but can't find anything other than fragments for
    > specific processors. Grepping in /usr/src hasn't gotten me much
    > farther.
    >
    > The particular processor (today) is a dual core turion 64, though I'm
    > putting on the 32 bit i386 version. But surely the list of cputypes
    > is documented *somewhere*?

    make.conf(5)
    /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf

    --
    Kelly D. Grills
    kdgrills@the-grills.com

  4. Re: where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    On Sep 13, 12:07*pm, Dave Downing wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:45:39 -0700, doch...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > The particular processor (today) is a dual core turion 64, though I'm
    > > putting on the 32 bit i386 version. *But surely the list of cputypes is
    > > documented *somewhere*?

    > The list is in the man pages for the compiler. Look in the section for
    > the -march options.

    Ahh. Thanks. That's what I couldn't remember.

    But Intel & AMD are still popping out names faster than this file
    updates.

    If I want a dual core Turion 64 to run 32 bit code, is the correct
    answer for make.conf "k8"? Or perhaps "athlon-mp"

    in the gcc man page, are the processor names appearing in a single
    line synonyms as far as the compiler is concerned, or different
    renditions?

    thanks again

    hawk

  5. Re: where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    Begin <22b8191f-ac99-4316-a909-7dafd11ddac1@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com>
    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:05:17 -0700 (PDT), dochawk wrote:
    > But Intel & AMD are still popping out names faster than this file
    > updates.

    That doesn't matter, as the system compiler needs to understand that
    tag. What would be a problem --gcc being gnu software, ``moreso than
    usual''-- is if the manpage is not current for the system compiler,
    as was the case on my system before I updated from 6.2 to 6.3. This
    might've been my own fault, I haven't investigated, and it appears
    fixed now.

    Besides, there are good reasons why you might want to not set that
    parameter to the maximum available for your machine. I recall trying to
    transfer & run a pII binary on a pI, which caused obscure problems in
    odd places like printf, exactly because of this.

    I think that for the system the gains are on the same scale of unimportance
    as insisting to compile the kernel with excessive optimisation flags, if
    perhaps not likely to be as painful. For numerical applications that might
    be different, of course, but you can set flags to taste in their respective
    Makefiles too. And, of course, for such applications it's probably equally
    justifyable to install the bestest optimising compiler available.

    And, uh, hawk, why tf are you using google groups now? Plenty people
    killfile anything from there outright, and I'm tempted to do the same.

  6. Re: where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    On Sep 13, 1:29*pm, jpd wrote:
    > Begin *<22b8191f-ac99-4316-a909-7dafd11dd...@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com>
    >
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:05:17 -0700 (PDT), dochawk wrote:
    > > But Intel & AMD are still popping out names faster than this file
    > > updates.

    > That doesn't matter, as the system compiler needs to understand that
    > tag. What would be a problem --gcc being gnu software, ``moreso than
    > usual''-- is if the manpage is not current for the system compiler,
    > as was the case on my system before I updated from 6.2 to 6.3. This
    > might've been my own fault, I haven't investigated, and it appears
    > fixed now.

    "that tag" being "k8"? or are you saying that it will recognize a
    turion?

    > Besides, there are good reasons why you might want to not set that
    > parameter to the maximum available for your machine. I recall trying to
    > transfer & run a pII binary on a pI, which caused obscure problems in
    > odd places like printf, exactly because of this.

    I've given up on even trying, and just build everything on every
    machine. I'll
    keep patches (such as for nethack). Currently there's a dual core
    turion laptop,
    an older turion laptop (which Acer won't honor the warranty on, which
    is why the
    newer one is a Compaq), and the big box with a woefully obsolete
    athlon (which will
    probably update to a quad core amd real soon now). Whenever I've
    tried to share
    binaries, though, I've ended up with some other incompatibility.

    Once adobe releases flash for BSD (yeah, I know you hate it, but the
    kdis sites
    all use it), I'll probably switch the kids machines back to freebsd
    from kubuntu, but
    they need flash, automounting of removable media, and the menus. (They
    recently
    demoed a 64 bit freebsd version!)

    > I think that for the system the gains are on the same scale of unimportance
    > as insisting to compile the kernel with excessive optimisation flags, if
    > perhaps not likely to be as painful. For numerical applications that might
    > be different, of course, but you can set flags to taste in their respective
    > Makefiles too. And, of course, for such applications it's probably equally
    > justifyable to install the bestest optimising compiler available.

    I'm a couple of years from my heavy numerical work I got tired of
    being poor
    and am actually practicing law again.

    > And, uh, hawk, why tf are you using google groups now? Plenty people
    > killfile anything from there outright, and I'm tempted to do the same.

    Embarq has the only DSL in town, and we only have one cable company.
    Embarq has, as near as I can tell, dumped the news servers entirely.
    When
    they were still part of sprint, they used earthlink servers. I guess
    I should hunt
    down a free public newsserver if they still exist--but they last time
    I looked,
    all the third party newsservers seemed dedicated to the alt.bimbo
    hierarchies.

    thanks

    hawk

  7. Re: where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    Begin <36c228b9-ad9d-4b80-afc1-e7b0615fada4@s20g2000prd.googlegroups.com>
    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:14:18 -0700 (PDT), dochawk wrote:
    > "that tag" being "k8"? or are you saying that it will recognize a
    > turion?

    Think gcc -march=$CPUTYPE and you'll see what I'm getting at. I haven't
    really paid attention as to what the current system compiler will accept
    as I'm currently still stuck with a downclocked athlon 712MHz.

    [snip!]
    >> And, uh, hawk, why tf are you using google groups now? Plenty people
    >> killfile anything from there outright, and I'm tempted to do the same.

    > Embarq has the only DSL in town, and we only have one cable company.
    > Embarq has, as near as I can tell, dumped the news servers entirely.
    > When
    > they were still part of sprint, they used earthlink servers. I guess
    > I should hunt
    > down a free public newsserver if they still exist--but they last time
    > I looked,
    > all the third party newsservers seemed dedicated to the alt.bimbo
    > hierarchies.

    [broken formatting courtesy google left in]

    Yes, they do, there are several and even a few quite recent ones.

    Though I'm spending 10 EUR / year on a non-free but pretty high quality
    service. (_Don't_ use the ``click&buy'' 3rd party payment service as it
    is abusable and being abused; I use bank transfer but I don't know if
    that's available outside .eu.)

  8. Re: where is the FM for CPUTYPE?

    on Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:14:18 -0700 (PDT), dochawk, dochawk@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 1:29*pm, jpd wrote:

    [...]

    >> And, uh, hawk, why tf are you using google groups now? Plenty people
    >> killfile anything from there outright, and I'm tempted to do the same.

    > Embarq has the only DSL in town, and we only have one cable company.
    > Embarq has, as near as I can tell, dumped the news servers entirely.

    As has Time-Warner/RoadRunner. Usenet discontinued
    as of 23 June.

    > When
    > they were still part of sprint, they used earthlink servers. I guess
    > I should hunt
    > down a free public newsserver if they still exist--but they last time
    > I looked,
    > all the third party newsservers seemed dedicated to the alt.bimbo
    > hierarchies.

    Yes, free ones exist.
    I use nntp.aioe.org and freetext.usenetserver.com
    to feed leafnode. Neither requires registration.
    free.sonic-news.com doesn't either (which also has
    limited binaries... enough for the odd need to see
    alt.binaries.coffee, for instance)

    There are several others requiring registration,
    though motzarella.org and x-privat.org are the only
    ones I can think of offhand.

    --
    ☯☯

+ Reply to Thread