[7zip] Can't allocate required memory - BSD

This is a discussion on [7zip] Can't allocate required memory - BSD ; Hi to all, I installed 7zip from ports in my freebsd server. I use Freebsd to compress and backup my file. Now I have this error ERROR: Can't allocate required memory! when I try to compress my websites folder. It's ...

  1. [7zip] Can't allocate required memory

    Hi to all, I installed 7zip from ports in my freebsd server. I use
    Freebsd to compress and backup my file. Now I have this error

    ERROR: Can't allocate required memory!

    when I try to compress my websites folder. It's about 9/10.000 files for
    a total of 3/4 GB.

    I posted in 7zip forum, and they says there is a limitation of 512 MB in
    RAM usage for my account.
    Could you help me to see if this is true?

    Thank you very much for your help!

    Leonardo

  2. Re: [7zip] Can't allocate required memory

    Leonardo Burchi wrote:
    > I posted in 7zip forum, and they says there is a limitation of 512 MB in
    > RAM usage for my account.
    > Could you help me to see if this is true?

    Try 'limits' to see whar toy limits are. 'man limits' for more info.
    Example:

    tingo@kg-work2$ limits
    Resource limits (current):
    cputime infinity secs
    filesize infinity kB
    datasize 524288 kB
    stacksize 65536 kB
    coredumpsize infinity kB
    memoryuse infinity kB
    memorylocked infinity kB
    maxprocesses 5547
    openfiles 11095
    sbsize infinity bytes
    vmemoryuse infinity kB

    HTH
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: [7zip] Can't allocate required memory

    Thank you for your reply!
    This is my limits output:

    Resource limits (current):
    cputime infinity secs
    filesize infinity kB
    datasize 524288 kB
    stacksize 65536 kB
    coredumpsize infinity kB
    memoryuse infinity kB
    memorylocked infinity kB
    maxprocesses 5547
    openfiles 11095
    sbsize infinity bytes
    vmemoryuse infinity kB

    I think there is no limit in RAM usage for my account. Right?

    Thank you again!!

    Torfinn Ingolfsen ha scritto:
    > Leonardo Burchi wrote:
    >> I posted in 7zip forum, and they says there is a limitation of 512 MB
    >> in RAM usage for my account.
    >> Could you help me to see if this is true?

    > Try 'limits' to see whar toy limits are. 'man limits' for more info.
    > Example:
    >
    > tingo@kg-work2$ limits
    > Resource limits (current):
    > cputime infinity secs
    > filesize infinity kB
    > datasize 524288 kB
    > stacksize 65536 kB
    > coredumpsize infinity kB
    > memoryuse infinity kB
    > memorylocked infinity kB
    > maxprocesses 5547
    > openfiles 11095
    > sbsize infinity bytes
    > vmemoryuse infinity kB
    >
    > HTH

  4. Re: [7zip] Can't allocate required memory

    Leonardo Burchi wrote:
    > Thank you for your reply!
    > This is my limits output:
    >
    > Resource limits (current):
    > cputime infinity secs
    > filesize infinity kB
    > datasize 524288 kB
    > stacksize 65536 kB
    > coredumpsize infinity kB
    > memoryuse infinity kB
    > memorylocked infinity kB
    > maxprocesses 5547
    > openfiles 11095
    > sbsize infinity bytes
    > vmemoryuse infinity kB
    >
    > I think there is no limit in RAM usage for my account. Right?

    Probably wrong, see "datasize" in your output above.
    This is probably covered in the handbook, but the first reference I
    found was this one:
    http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2006...n-freebsd.html

    Ah, see the tuning(7) man page, about the kern.maxdsiz tunable.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  5. Re: [7zip] Can't allocate required memory

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:55:19 +0200, Leonardo Burchi wrote:
    > Torfinn Ingolfsen ha scritto:
    >> Leonardo Burchi wrote:
    >>> I posted in 7zip forum, and they says there is a limitation of 512MB
    >>> in RAM usage for my account.
    >>>
    >>> Could you help me to see if this is true?

    >> Try 'limits' to see whar toy limits are. 'man limits' for more info.

    > This is my limits output:
    >
    > Resource limits (current):
    > cputime infinity secs
    > filesize infinity kB
    > datasize 524288 kB
    > stacksize 65536 kB
    > coredumpsize infinity kB
    > memoryuse infinity kB
    > memorylocked infinity kB
    > maxprocesses 5547
    > openfiles 11095
    > sbsize infinity bytes
    > vmemoryuse infinity kB
    >
    > I think there is no limit in RAM usage for my account. Right?

    There is an implied limit to the `data' segment of each process that is
    indeed set to 512MB for 32-bit programs:

    $ sysctl kern.maxdsiz
    kern.maxdsiz: 536870912
    $ sysctl -d kern.maxdsiz
    kern.maxdsiz: max data size

    This is a `loader tunable', so you can set it at boot time but it is not
    possible to increase once the kernel has started. See loader.conf(5)
    for details about setting loader tunables.

    Having written that, I would be _very_ worried if a compression utility
    started taking more than 512MB of virtual memory. This is an absurd
    amount of memory for a utility that wants to compress a few thousands of
    files. The compression ratio may be better in the long run, but there
    are other compression tools (like gzip(1) or bzip(2) that do not require
    such huge amounts of memory to work).

  6. Re: [7zip] Can't allocate required memory

    Thank you Giorgos and thank you Torfinn.
    I have update my kern.maxdsiz on /boot/loader.conf to 1 GB and now all
    works fine!
    I'm perfectly agree with you Giorgos, it needs a very lot of RAM. I
    think I will try gzip or bzip.

    Thank you again!!

    Giorgos Keramidas ha scritto:
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:55:19 +0200, Leonardo Burchi wrote:
    >> Torfinn Ingolfsen ha scritto:

    >>> Try 'limits' to see whar toy limits are. 'man limits' for more info.

    >> This is my limits output:
    >>
    >> Resource limits (current):
    >> cputime infinity secs
    >> filesize infinity kB
    >> datasize 524288 kB
    >> stacksize 65536 kB
    >> coredumpsize infinity kB
    >> memoryuse infinity kB
    >> memorylocked infinity kB
    >> maxprocesses 5547
    >> openfiles 11095
    >> sbsize infinity bytes
    >> vmemoryuse infinity kB
    >>
    >> I think there is no limit in RAM usage for my account. Right?

    > There is an implied limit to the `data' segment of each process that is
    > indeed set to 512MB for 32-bit programs:
    >
    > $ sysctl kern.maxdsiz
    > kern.maxdsiz: 536870912
    > $ sysctl -d kern.maxdsiz
    > kern.maxdsiz: max data size
    >
    > This is a `loader tunable', so you can set it at boot time but it is not
    > possible to increase once the kernel has started. See loader.conf(5)
    > for details about setting loader tunables.
    >
    > Having written that, I would be _very_ worried if a compression utility
    > started taking more than 512MB of virtual memory. This is an absurd
    > amount of memory for a utility that wants to compress a few thousands of
    > files. The compression ratio may be better in the long run, but there
    > are other compression tools (like gzip(1) or bzip(2) that do not require
    > such huge amounts of memory to work).

+ Reply to Thread