usb-serial adapter query - BSD

This is a discussion on usb-serial adapter query - BSD ; I bought a cheapo usb-serial adapter some while ago, originally to use on XP. Thought I'd try it on freebsd with a view to connecting a modem. However, beyond a message logged acknowledging its connection: Sep 8 11:24:57 data kernel: ...

  1. usb-serial adapter query

    I bought a cheapo usb-serial adapter some while ago, originally to use
    on XP.

    Thought I'd try it on freebsd with a view to connecting a modem.
    However, beyond a message logged acknowledging its connection:

    Sep 8 11:24:57 data kernel: uhid0: SemiTech Semiconductor USB to
    Serial, rev 1.00/0.00, addr 2, iclass 3/0

    nothing much seems to happen and I just get a /dev/uhid0, nothing else.
    There's no useful wisdom on the web :-(

    Is this particular one a no-no, or is there some magic needed to make
    some sort of virtual serial device appear?

    Since writing that, I've tried a belkin equivalent (f5u103). This
    identifies itself as ugen0 rather than uhid0, and provided ubsa is
    loaded, a new device /dev/cuaU0 also appears; I don't know yet if this
    actually works or not. In light of this though, is it safe to assume
    that the SemiTech device won't work?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: usb-serial adapter query

    Mike Scott wrote:
    > nothing much seems to happen and I just get a /dev/uhid0, nothing else.
    > There's no useful wisdom on the web :-(

    It is odd that you get a uhid device. Normally you should get a ugen device.

    > Since writing that, I've tried a belkin equivalent (f5u103). This
    > identifies itself as ugen0 rather than uhid0, and provided ubsa is
    > loaded, a new device /dev/cuaU0 also appears; I don't know yet if this
    > actually works or not. In light of this though, is it safe to assume
    > that the SemiTech device won't work?

    Assuming anything is never safe. :-)
    The available usb serial drivers (on FreeBSD 7.0-stable at least) are these:
    uark(4) - Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based USB
    serial adapter
    ubsa(4) - USB support for Belkin serial adapters
    ubser(4) - USB support for BWCT console serial adapters
    uftdi(4) - USB support for serial adapters based on the
    FT8U100AX and FT8U232AM chips
    uplcom(4) - USB support for Prolific PL-2303/2303X/2303HX
    serial adapters driver
    uslcom(4) - Silicon Laboratories CP2101/CP2102 based USB
    serial adapter
    uvscom(4) - USB support for SUNTAC Slipper U VS-10U
    serial adapters driver

    (from 'apropos serial' with selective cut-m-paste)

    HTH
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: usb-serial adapter query

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:53:20 +0100, Mike Scott
    wrote:

    >Since writing that, I've tried a belkin equivalent (f5u103). This
    >identifies itself as ugen0 rather than uhid0, and provided ubsa is
    >loaded, a new device /dev/cuaU0 also appears; I don't know yet if this
    >actually works or not. In light of this though, is it safe to assume
    >that the SemiTech device won't work?

    If it shows up as cuaU0, thats a good sign. The trick with usb
    devices is to make sure the driver is loaded prior to plugging in the
    hardware. If you are not sure what driver might support it, try
    you find the one that works. So
    kldload ucom
    kldload ubsa
    kldload umct
    etc... Then plug the device in and
    usbdev
    dmesg
    to see what might have attached. If its ugen, no luck.If it worked,
    you should see /dev/cuaU0 and see it associated with one of the
    drivers

    ---Mike

  4. Re: usb-serial adapter query

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Mike Scott wrote:
    >> nothing much seems to happen and I just get a /dev/uhid0, nothing
    >> else. There's no useful wisdom on the web :-(

    > It is odd that you get a uhid device. Normally you should get a ugen
    > device.
    >
    >> Since writing that, I've tried a belkin equivalent (f5u103). This
    >> identifies itself as ugen0 rather than uhid0, and provided ubsa is
    >> loaded, a new device /dev/cuaU0 also appears; I don't know yet if this
    >> actually works or not. In light of this though, is it safe to assume
    >> that the SemiTech device won't work?

    > Assuming anything is never safe. :-)
    > The available usb serial drivers (on FreeBSD 7.0-stable at least) are
    > these:
    > uark(4) - Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based USB
    > serial adapter
    > ubsa(4) - USB support for Belkin serial adapters
    > ubser(4) - USB support for BWCT console serial adapters
    > uftdi(4) - USB support for serial adapters based on the
    > FT8U100AX and FT8U232AM chips
    > uplcom(4) - USB support for Prolific PL-2303/2303X/2303HX
    > serial adapters driver
    > uslcom(4) - Silicon Laboratories CP2101/CP2102 based USB
    > serial adapter
    > uvscom(4) - USB support for SUNTAC Slipper U VS-10U
    > serial adapters driver
    >
    > (from 'apropos serial' with selective cut-m-paste)
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks for that. uark and uslcom don't seem to exist at all on my system
    (6.2) - no man entries even. loading all the others doesn't help. I
    guess it's a non-starter :-(

  5. Re: usb-serial adapter query

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 13:52:26 +0100,
    Mike Scott wrote:
    > Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    [snip!]
    >> (from 'apropos serial' with selective cut-m-paste)

    Note that this is simply a preliminary search, and while probably
    accurate enough, not to be taken as authoritative.

    > Thanks for that. uark and uslcom don't seem to exist at all on my system
    > (6.2) - no man entries even. loading all the others doesn't help. I
    > guess it's a non-starter :-(

    On my 6.3 system there does exist an uark manpage. I think that you could
    try and look around at release notes and supported hardware lists to see
    if they have anything to say about the chip reported for your device.

  6. Re: usb-serial adapter query

    Mike Scott wrote:

    > uark and uslcom don't seem to exist at all on my system
    > (6.2) - no man entries even. loading all the others doesn't help. I
    > guess it's a non-starter :-(

    They're on 7.x, maybe 6-STABLE. According to this, you should try
    ucycom:

    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current...8/19/0005.html

    ucycom is available 7.1-PRERELEASE.

  7. Re: usb-serial adapter query

    Warren Block wrote:
    > Mike Scott wrote:
    >
    >> uark and uslcom don't seem to exist at all on my system
    >> (6.2) - no man entries even. loading all the others doesn't help. I
    >> guess it's a non-starter :-(

    > They're on 7.x, maybe 6-STABLE. According to this, you should try
    > ucycom:
    >
    > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current...8/19/0005.html
    >
    > ucycom is available 7.1-PRERELEASE.

    Ah, thanks for that. Filed for reference.

    Looks like an excuse for that upgrade - I gather 7.1 is due soon (my
    rule #1 is never upgrade to a .0 release :-) )

+ Reply to Thread