    power off.
    thanks

  2. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    On 2008-09-05, NVangogh wrote:
    > I dont understand what has happened to my system. On another pc -
    > 'shutdown -p now'causes the system to actually power off. But when i use
    > it on this system, the command does what i would expect 'shutdown -h now'
    > to do. It is a problem because I have to actually unplug the pc to switch
    > it off, once the os has halted.
    >
    > I cant seem to find any clues in the handbook (i am not too clever). Can
    > anyone help me please to make 'shutdown -p now' cause my pc to shutdown &
    > power off.
    > thanks

    From man shutdown:

    -p The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware
    support required) at the specified time.

    So maybe the hardware just doesn't support this? Or maybe it's turned
    off in the BIOS?

    --
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
    ~ Groucho Marx

  3. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:54:18 +0000, TomB wrote:

    > From man shutdown:
    >
    > -p The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware
    > support required) at the specified time.
    >
    > So maybe the hardware just doesn't support this? Or maybe it's turned
    > off in the BIOS?

    the hardware definately does support it cause i had it working right in a

  4. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-09-05, NVangogh wrote:
    > > I dont understand what has happened to my system. On another pc -
    > > 'shutdown -p now'causes the system to actually power off. But when i use
    > > it on this system, the command does what i would expect 'shutdown -h now'
    > > to do. It is a problem because I have to actually unplug the pc to switch
    > > it off, once the os has halted.
    > >
    > > I cant seem to find any clues in the handbook (i am not too clever). Can
    > > anyone help me please to make 'shutdown -p now' cause my pc to shutdown &
    > > power off.
    > > thanks

    > From man shutdown:
    >
    > -p The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware
    > support required) at the specified time.
    >
    > So maybe the hardware just doesn't support this? Or maybe it's turned
    > off in the BIOS?

    Or the ACPI support in FreeBSD is insufficient for your PC. For example
    it was the case for my laptop, while Linux ACPI support was able to
    power down.

    --

    Michel TALON

  5. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 22:10:36 +0000, Michel Talon wrote:

    > Or the ACPI support in FreeBSD is insufficient for your PC. For example
    > it was the case for my laptop, while Linux ACPI support was able to
    > power down.

    This is interesting. in a previous install on this machine - i got a no
    stop stream of messages "acpi_tmp value absurd (-269.4) ignored". I had
    to log in on console #2 cause the messages kept coming and console #1 was
    unusable. However, i was still able to power off.

    Recently, i did a new install. This time i included the kernel option
    ACPI_DEBUG to the new build. Strangely, the errors never appeared again.
    I just thought that this kernel option would allow some form of extended
    data to assist debugging!

    Is it a coincidence that my system wont actually switch off now when i
    shutdown -p?. Btw, i have another unix type operating system -minix3-
    that runs on this machine - but on my second hard drive.. shutdown -p
    does exactly what it says on the tin..so i can probably safely rule out
    any strange bios / hardware malfunction.

    could it be a rogue value in a shutdown script? Can you help further
    please.

  6. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    i am not sure if this is important, but sysctl says the value is used :
    hw.pci.do_power_down_resume:1

    this is presumably bool=true. but is this got anything to do with my
    problem do you think? should it be 0 value?

  7. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    NVangogh wrote:
    > could it be a rogue value in a shutdown script? Can you help further
    > please.

    I don't think so. Shutdown -p tries to power down using apm or acpi
    (no longer apm nowadays). If it doesn't work, there is an acpi problem,
    presumably. I doubt minix has acpi support, perhaps it uses apm which
    was far more reliable, on old laptops, but is insufficient at present.

    --

    Michel TALON

  8. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    NVangogh wrote:

    > I dont understand what has happened to my system. On another pc -
    > 'shutdown -p now'causes the system to actually power off. But when i use
    > it on this system, the command does what i would expect 'shutdown -h now'
    > to do. It is a problem because I have to actually unplug the pc to switch
    > it off, once the os has halted.

    > I cant seem to find any clues in the handbook (i am not too clever). Can
    > anyone help me please to make 'shutdown -p now' cause my pc to shutdown &
    > power off.

    Is this happening on the system where you clobbered sh with bash?

    --
    Black Dragon

    Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself.

  9. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:17:36 +0000, Black Dragon wrote:

    > Is this happening on the system where you clobbered sh with bash?

    yes - whats the connextion?

  10. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    NVangogh wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:17:36 +0000, Black Dragon wrote:

    >> Is this happening on the system where you clobbered sh with bash?

    > yes - whats the connextion?

    Are you 100% sure, that is, without any doubt what-so-ever, bash doesn't
    break /etc/rc.shutdown and the scripts in /etc/rc.d?

    --
    Black Dragon

    Passion is that funny feeling that drives a man to
    bite a woman's neck because she has beautiful legs.

  11. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    On 6 Sep 2008 01:22:17 +0100, NVangogh wrote:

    > This is interesting. in a previous install on this machine - i got a no
    > stop stream of messages "acpi_tmp value absurd (-269.4) ignored". I had
    > to log in on console #2 cause the messages kept coming and console #1 was
    > unusable. However, i was still able to power off.

    I found that

    hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate=6000

    in sysctl.conf keeps the number of messages low.

    It's an Asus board:

    Motherboard Name: P5BW-LA Chipset P965

    > Recently, i did a new install. This time i included the kernel option
    > ACPI_DEBUG to the new build. Strangely, the errors never appeared again.

    But I wonder if this might be best.

  12. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    Black Dragon wrote:

    > NVangogh wrote:

    >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:17:36 +0000, Black Dragon wrote:

    >>> Is this happening on the system where you clobbered sh with bash?

    >> yes - whats the connextion?

    > Are you 100% sure, that is, without any doubt what-so-ever, bash doesn't
    > break /etc/rc.shutdown and the scripts in /etc/rc.d?

    I didn't think so.

    --
    Black Dragon

    "My husband commits an inconceivable act of perversion with a
    barnyard animal, and it's not central to my case?!"
    "Not in California."

  13. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    i am still waiting for some help with this, can anyone please offer some
    SENSIBLE input?
    I have recently re-compiled the kernel to make sure device apm was
    included. But this dont make no difference, i still have to power off by
    pulling the plug after the system halts.

  14. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:51:48 UTC, NVangogh
    wrote:

    > i am still waiting for some help with this, can anyone please offer some
    > SENSIBLE input?
    > I have recently re-compiled the kernel to make sure device apm was
    > included. But this dont make no difference, i still have to power off by
    > pulling the plug after the system halts.

    1) Boot a GENERIC kernel and see if it still does it.

    2) Revert to the default shell and see if it still does it.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  15. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    NVangogh wrote:
    > i am still waiting for some help with this, can anyone please offer some
    > SENSIBLE input?
    > I have recently re-compiled the kernel to make sure device apm was
    > included. But this dont make no difference, i still have to power off by
    > pulling the plug after the system halts.

    You need:
    - to include apm
    - to exclude acpi

    hint.acpi.0.disabled=1, see man loader

    - and to enable apm

    By default apm is disables in /boot/device.hints.

    Plus you may need to run apm -e to enable apm on the running system. I
    don't remember since i used that long ago.

    --

    Michel TALON

  16. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    NVangogh writes:

    > i am still waiting for some help with this, can anyone please offer some
    > SENSIBLE input?
    > I have recently re-compiled the kernel to make sure device apm was
    > included. But this dont make no difference, i still have to power off by
    > pulling the plug after the system halts.

    When you last saw it work, were you using ACPI or APM?
    That will tell you which one to focus on.

    --
    Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
    http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

  17. Re: 'shutdown -p' only causes system to halt

    NVangogh wrote:

    > i am still waiting for some help with this, can anyone please offer some
    > SENSIBLE input?

    You were given sensible advice and choose to ignore it when you wiped out
    the default sh shell and replaced it with bash.

    --
    Black Dragon

    Said a decadent wench of Bombay:
    "This has been a most wonderful day.