Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso? - BSD

This is a discussion on Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso? - BSD ; I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release page. I'm wondering why there's no DVD iso release. For CDs I need to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Many Linux releases support ...

  1. Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release
    page. I'm wondering why there's no DVD iso release. For CDs I need
    to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Many Linux releases
    support DVD iso release.

    Why not? Or did I miss anything?

    --
    Sunry Chen

  2. Re: Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    Sunry Chen writes:

    >I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release
    >page. I'm wondering why there's no DVD iso release. For CDs I need
    >to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Many Linux releases
    >support DVD iso release.

    You actually only need one CD to do a basic install. At the moment
    there's no DVD produced automatically mainly because no one has got
    around to automating the process - there is a plan to provide this
    for releases in the near future (but I'm not sure if that will be
    this round of releases or the next).

    David.

  3. Re: Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    Begin
    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:55:23 +0800, Sunry Chen wrote:
    > For CDs I need to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD?

    Already noted but worth pointing out specifically:

    You do not need all available images to get started.

    The minimum you need is actually the bootonly image and a network
    connection to where the rest is accessible[1]. Having more options does
    mean you have to figure out just what image(s) you want.

    [1] Which might be an official site, or something you setup.

  4. Re: Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    Sunry Chen wrote:

    > I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release
    > page. I'm wondering why there's no DVD iso release. For CDs I need
    > to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Many Linux releases
    > support DVD iso release.
    >
    > Why not? Or did I miss anything?

    You only need one CD for a basic install, the other CDs just provide more
    ports. You can download all three and use them to create a single DVD by
    following the instructions at ,
    these were written for version 6.1 when you only needed 2 CDs but extending
    the procedure for 3 is trivial. If you really want to have lots of ports
    available locally for the install then making the DVD will avoid having to
    do frequent tedious CD swapping but be aware that most of the ports on the
    DVD are likely to be outdated by the time you install your system.

    --
    Mike Clarke

  5. Re: Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    Mike Clarke wrote:
    > Sunry Chen wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release
    >> page. I'm wondering why there's no DVD iso release. For CDs I need
    >> to burn 3 to get it start, why not just one DVD? Many Linux releases
    >> support DVD iso release.
    >>
    >> Why not? Or did I miss anything?

    > You only need one CD for a basic install, the other CDs just provide more
    > ports. You can download all three and use them to create a single DVD by
    > following the instructions at ,
    > these were written for version 6.1 when you only needed 2 CDs but extending
    > the procedure for 3 is trivial. If you really want to have lots of ports
    > available locally for the install then making the DVD will avoid having to
    > do frequent tedious CD swapping but be aware that most of the ports on the
    > DVD are likely to be outdated by the time you install your system.

    s/ports/packages/g

  6. Re: Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 09:39:30 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:
    > Sunry Chen wrote:
    >> I didn't see any DVD iso release information on FreeBSD release
    >> page. [...]

    > If you really want to have lots of ports available locally for the
    > install then making the DVD will avoid having to do frequent tedious
    > CD swapping but be aware that most of the ports on the DVD are likely
    > to be outdated by the time you install your system.

    That's a very good point.

    I usually install the base system, a few minimal ports (`screen', `bash'
    and `vim-lite'), then I install `portupgrade' and use the online
    packages for most of the stuff I want to install or I build my own.

    After every successful portupgrade run, I use `pkg_create -b' to save
    pre-built packages in `/usr/pkg/{i386,amd64}' and I burn package DVDs
    with all the packages from my `/usr/pkg' tree :-)

  7. Re: Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
    > After every successful portupgrade run, I use `pkg_create -b' to save
    > pre-built packages in `/usr/pkg/{i386,amd64}' and I burn package DVDs
    > with all the packages from my `/usr/pkg' tree :-)

    Ohh, thats nice.
    I didn't know about 'pkg_create' - thanks!
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  8. Re: Why FreeBSD doesn't release DVD iso?

    Warren Block wrote:

    > s/ports/packages/g

    Oops, yes. Thanks for spotting that Warren.

    --
    Mike Clarke

+ Reply to Thread