Jails and filesystems organisation - BSD

This is a discussion on Jails and filesystems organisation - BSD ; Hello, I'd like to install a FreeBSD 7.0 server running several jails providing the same services to different users groups (approx 6 jails). This server has one Amd64 processor, 2GB of ram, and two 1TB disks that I will put ...

  1. Jails and filesystems organisation

    Hello,

    I'd like to install a FreeBSD 7.0 server running several jails
    providing the same services to different users groups (approx 6
    jails). This server has one Amd64 processor, 2GB of ram, and two 1TB
    disks that I will put in RAID 1.

    Newbie in FreeBSD, I'd like to hear some suggests on the filesystem
    organisation I'd better use in this case. I was thinking something
    like this :

    /, /usr, /var and swap of host on different slice of the disklabel
    /usr/ports and /usr/src on different slice of the disklabel and
    mounted by mount_nullfs on the jail when needed.

    Each jail must have /, /usr and /var separated to avoid that one user
    in one jail filling is disk has an impact on others jails. On other
    Unix, I would use LVM for this kind of requirement. At this time, I
    saw only two solutions :
    - Use ZFS but its support in FreeBSD seems to be considered
    experimental and the google search I've found show that it can break
    in certain usage (may be that's a legend).
    - Make one file by Jail using GEOM in it.

    Idea or URL to docs for this kind of installation are more than
    welcome.

    --
    Regards,
    Marc Carmier

  2. Re: Jails and filesystems organisation

    marc wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'd like to install a FreeBSD 7.0 server running several jails
    > providing the same services to different users groups (approx 6
    > jails). This server has one Amd64 processor, 2GB of ram, and two 1TB
    > disks that I will put in RAID 1.
    >
    > Newbie in FreeBSD, I'd like to hear some suggests on the filesystem
    > organisation I'd better use in this case. I was thinking something
    > like this :
    >
    > /, /usr, /var and swap of host on different slice of the disklabel
    > /usr/ports and /usr/src on different slice of the disklabel and
    > mounted by mount_nullfs on the jail when needed.

    Better keep the base system separate on the base machine and its jails,
    because with nullfs what you change in one place changes in the other
    places. I use nullfs to copy ports directory from jail to jail.

    > Each jail must have /, /usr and /var separated to avoid that one user
    > in one jail filling is disk has an impact on others jails. On other
    > Unix, I would use LVM for this kind of requirement. At this time, I
    > saw only two solutions :
    > - Use ZFS but its support in FreeBSD seems to be considered
    > experimental and the google search I've found show that it can break
    > in certain usage (may be that's a legend).

    Many people now use zfs on FreeBSD. problems seems fixed. For jails it
    is the ideal setup, i think. I am using here zfs on i386 with a 1 gig
    machine, moreover using /tmp on tmpfs, and i did not get crashes.
    I have however limited the memory voracity of zfs by setting
    vm.kmem_size="512M"
    vm.kmem_size_max="512M"
    vfs.zfs.arc_max="256M"
    vfs.zfs.arc_min="32M"