FreeBSD SAS Servers - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD SAS Servers - BSD ; Who makes FreeBSD 6.X rackmountable servers in North America? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! USA petition for dissolution of your nation!...

  1. FreeBSD SAS Servers

    Who makes FreeBSD 6.X rackmountable servers in North America?
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    USA petition for dissolution of your nation!

  2. Re: FreeBSD SAS Servers

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 15:25:24 +0000, The Doctor wrote:

    > Who makes FreeBSD 6.X rackmountable servers in North America?

    I have no idea. I'm not in the mood to look here:
    http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/hardware.html

  3. Re: FreeBSD SAS Servers

    The Doctor wrote:
    > Who makes FreeBSD 6.X rackmountable servers in North America?

    Depends.

    If you are looking for full driver support for all components,
    I doubt there are any competitive suppliers left. They are either
    lacking features now standard in rackmounts (like full remote
    hardware control) or do not supply full drivers for all hardware
    with a feature set comparable to their Linux support.

    I can personally attest to HP's Proliant DL 3xx servers working
    fine, but you don't get driver support for iLo, hardware
    health monitoring and RAID (while BSD's ciss driver works fine,
    it has no raid maintenance functionality or tools whatsoever.
    You have to setup raid externally and can not change any
    raid setting while the OS is running).

    HP used to have unofficial drivers for FreeBSD 4.x, but those
    stopped installing on later versions. And they were never
    officially supported, and basically abandoned after initial release.

    But what is worst is HP is shafting you supportwise. When you
    report a faulty server, then they often refuse helping you because
    you don't run "supported" OS, regardless if you have a hardware
    support/maitenance/replacement contract.

    Linux, in this regard, has become the new Windows. They all
    support it and think that's enough for everyone.

    Regards

    Christoph Weber-Fahr

  4. Re: FreeBSD SAS Servers

    In article ,
    Christoph wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >> Who makes FreeBSD 6.X rackmountable servers in North America?

    >Depends.
    >
    >If you are looking for full driver support for all components,
    >I doubt there are any competitive suppliers left. They are either
    >lacking features now standard in rackmounts (like full remote
    >hardware control) or do not supply full drivers for all hardware
    >with a feature set comparable to their Linux support.
    >
    >I can personally attest to HP's Proliant DL 3xx servers working
    >fine, but you don't get driver support for iLo, hardware
    >health monitoring and RAID (while BSD's ciss driver works fine,
    >it has no raid maintenance functionality or tools whatsoever.
    >You have to setup raid externally and can not change any
    >raid setting while the OS is running).
    >
    >HP used to have unofficial drivers for FreeBSD 4.x, but those
    >stopped installing on later versions. And they were never
    >officially supported, and basically abandoned after initial release.
    >
    >But what is worst is HP is shafting you supportwise. When you
    >report a faulty server, then they often refuse helping you because
    >you don't run "supported" OS, regardless if you have a hardware
    >support/maitenance/replacement contract.
    >
    >Linux, in this regard, has become the new Windows. They all
    >support it and think that's enough for everyone.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Christoph Weber-Fahr

    Linsucks is the Windows of Unixes. No way am I touching
    that till way later.
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    USA petition for dissolution of your nation!

  5. Re: FreeBSD SAS Servers

    Christoph wrote:
    > The Doctor wrote:
    >> Who makes FreeBSD 6.X rackmountable servers in North America?

    > Depends.
    >
    > If you are looking for full driver support for all components,
    > I doubt there are any competitive suppliers left. They are either
    > lacking features now standard in rackmounts (like full remote
    > hardware control) or do not supply full drivers for all hardware
    > with a feature set comparable to their Linux support.
    >
    > I can personally attest to HP's Proliant DL 3xx servers working
    > fine, but you don't get driver support for iLo, hardware

    Agreed.

    > health monitoring and RAID (while BSD's ciss driver works fine,
    > it has no raid maintenance functionality or tools whatsoever.
    > You have to setup raid externally and can not change any
    > raid setting while the OS is running).

    this part is kind of lame. Luckily, most sensible people don't mess with
    their raid settings all the time. The hot swap disk replacement stuff
    works flawlessly though. ciss will log that a disk came and went etc but
    the machine will work fine the entire time.

    > HP used to have unofficial drivers for FreeBSD 4.x, but those
    > stopped installing on later versions. And they were never
    > officially supported, and basically abandoned after initial release.
    >
    > But what is worst is HP is shafting you supportwise. When you
    > report a faulty server, then they often refuse helping you because
    > you don't run "supported" OS, regardless if you have a hardware
    > support/maitenance/replacement contract.

    I call bull****. I've made plenty of calls to support to get stuff fixed
    and always say I'm running freebsd or solaris. They get confused when you
    say FreeBSD, so they end up checking off sco or netware or whatever
    nonsense unix there is that HP supports.

    For a hardware calls there is nothing to negotiate. Say you're runnig dos
    3.3 and tell them to replace the parts, now.

  6. Re: FreeBSD SAS Servers

    Christoph schrieb:
    > The Doctor wrote:
    >> Who makes FreeBSD 6.X rackmountable servers in North America?

    > Depends.
    >
    > If you are looking for full driver support for all components,
    > I doubt there are any competitive suppliers left. They are either
    > lacking features now standard in rackmounts (like full remote
    > hardware control) or do not supply full drivers for all hardware
    > with a feature set comparable to their Linux support.
    >
    > I can personally attest to HP's Proliant DL 3xx servers working
    > fine, but you don't get driver support for iLo, hardware
    > health monitoring and RAID (while BSD's ciss driver works fine,
    > it has no raid maintenance functionality or tools whatsoever.
    > You have to setup raid externally and can not change any
    > raid setting while the OS is running).

    Which, given the way the HPACU-clis work on supported platforms, is no
    big loss, IMO.
    The health-management-stuff is nice, though.

    > HP used to have unofficial drivers for FreeBSD 4.x, but those
    > stopped installing on later versions. And they were never
    > officially supported, and basically abandoned after initial release.

    They got "updated" recently.
    http://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/

    It seems to be a kind of hobby-project for some people inside HP with
    access to the source-code.

    > But what is worst is HP is shafting you supportwise. When you
    > report a faulty server, then they often refuse helping you because
    > you don't run "supported" OS, regardless if you have a hardware
    > support/maitenance/replacement contract.

    It's no problem at all. A dead fan is reported by the BIOS already.
    RAIDs - once the controller is detected by the OS - work independently
    from the OS.

    Rainer

  7. Re: FreeBSD SAS Servers

    Hello,

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Christoph wrote:
    >> health monitoring and RAID (while BSD's ciss driver works fine,
    >> it has no raid maintenance functionality or tools whatsoever.
    >> You have to setup raid externally and can not change any
    >> raid setting while the OS is running).

    > this part is kind of lame. Luckily, most sensible people don't mess with
    > their raid settings all the time. The hot swap disk replacement stuff
    > works flawlessly though. ciss will log that a disk came and went etc but
    > the machine will work fine the entire time.

    Żes and no. Yes it does work fine - provided the controller is in
    the rioght operating mode. It is by default, but you only have to
    press one wrong key during an emergency *once* and it is in the
    wrong mode forever. Until you change that back, actually, which
    you can't under BSD.

    Trust me, I've been there. One wrong darned key during boot, and the
    controller won't go into rebuild automatically any more but patiently
    wait for your to explicitly tell it to. Which you can't, either.

    >> But what is worst is HP is shafting you supportwise. When you
    >> report a faulty server, then they often refuse helping you because
    >> you don't run "supported" OS, regardless if you have a hardware
    >> support/maitenance/replacement contract.

    > I call bull****. I've made plenty of calls to support to get stuff fixed
    > and always say I'm running freebsd or solaris. They get confused when you
    > say FreeBSD, so they end up checking off sco or netware or whatever
    > nonsense unix there is that HP supports.

    You call wrong. "You are not usind a supported OS" is the number one
    copout clause when callinmg up tech support. I've been forced to argue,
    from Germany, with engineers in hungary and egypt *for* *days* to get
    a faulty hardware replaced, even though the server had next business
    day mainenance.

    When you report an error they routinely demand you to run HPs diagnostics.
    Since you can't (wromg OS), and the server in question runs 24/7, they
    often refuse to proceed with the case. They just repeat their demand to
    get diagnostic tools run. We also often get threatened with costs ("if
    we find out this is the wrong part, we will bill you the costs").

    We can not deal with that kind of crap. We run servers in distant
    locations, with no on site tech staff of ours. When a server is
    has a problem, we expect HP to send a tech on site at a scheduled
    time, when we take the machine down and have the tech repair it.

    In theory, and with Linux or Windows, this works fine. With BSD, HP
    keeps sabotaging its own support promise.

    In other cases I was faltly refused support onmce the suipport guy
    discovered I was running FreeBSD, even though the problem was fairly
    unrelated to BSD. I still have two cases !"open" (for years, nbow)
    about blatant iLo bugs, and HP keesp hiding behind the BSD thing.

    And I am even pretty privileged. We are a large corporate HP customer,
    large enough, in fact, that we have a designated key account manager
    inside HP for us to contact. I can't even imagine how bad it is for
    people in small + medium sized businesses.

    > For a hardware calls there is nothing to negotiate. Say you're runnig dos
    > 3.3 and tell them to replace the parts, now.

    You could not be more mistaken.

    Regards

    Christoph Weber-Fahr

+ Reply to Thread