startx - allows only fvwm session - BSD

This is a discussion on startx - allows only fvwm session - BSD ; I have the latest xorg server pkg installed and configured x11. I have the correct driver installed for my system chipset.: xf86-video-intel. I am guessing the problem is not with my xorg.conf [cause fvwm works & the problem is also ...

  1. startx - allows only fvwm session

    I have the latest xorg server pkg installed and configured x11. I have
    the correct driver installed for my system chipset.: xf86-video-intel. I
    am guessing the problem is not with my xorg.conf [cause fvwm works & the
    problem is also repeated on another pc of mine]

    The problem is that I cannot seem to startx with any wm other than fvwm
    (this is fine, but i prefer gnome).

    this is what i have tried

    1. I have followed the standard procedure: echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-
    session" > /home/mydir/.xinitrc. On re-booting i try startx and get the
    error i830 Vblank pipe setup failed 0.

    2. alternatively - in /etc/rc.conf gnome_enable="YES".
    The very first time i booted with this, it worked. The next day (today) I
    tried to boot and got the gdm login screen. After entering my details,
    the gnome splash screen appears..but it seems to hang. I left it and it
    was like this for nearly 15 minutes. Eventually my desktop appeared - but
    everything was sluggish & some progs would not start eg i could not even
    open a terminal. After a while the session just terminates and causes a
    re-boot. I have tried this twice and the same thing happens.

    3. Instead of gdm, i have also used the kdm and got the same problem.

    Anyone please assist with this problem?

  2. Re: startx - allows only fvwm session

    NVangogh wrote:

    > I have the latest xorg server pkg installed and configured x11. I have
    > the correct driver installed for my system chipset.: xf86-video-intel. I
    > am guessing the problem is not with my xorg.conf [cause fvwm works & the
    > problem is also repeated on another pc of mine]
    >
    > The problem is that I cannot seem to startx with any wm other than fvwm
    > (this is fine, but i prefer gnome).
    >
    > this is what i have tried
    >
    > 1. I have followed the standard procedure: echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-
    > session" > /home/mydir/.xinitrc. On re-booting i try startx and get the
    > error i830 Vblank pipe setup failed 0.
    >
    > 2. alternatively - in /etc/rc.conf gnome_enable="YES".
    > The very first time i booted with this, it worked. The next day (today) I
    > tried to boot and got the gdm login screen. After entering my details,
    > the gnome splash screen appears..but it seems to hang. I left it and it
    > was like this for nearly 15 minutes. Eventually my desktop appeared - but
    > everything was sluggish & some progs would not start eg i could not even
    > open a terminal. After a while the session just terminates and causes a
    > re-boot. I have tried this twice and the same thing happens.
    >
    > 3. Instead of gdm, i have also used the kdm and got the same problem.
    >
    > Anyone please assist with this problem?

    Here X still defaults to twm if no other wm is specified.

    To start gnome etc about all you need in .xinitrc is:

    # exec startkde
    exec gnome-session

    While you can start xdm, kdm, gdm from .xinitrc
    You'd be better to make it the default startup somewhere in /etc/ttys

    All is covered in the FreeBSD Handbook:
    /usr/share/doc/handbook/index.html

    --

    Bill
    FreeBSD 7 on AMD-64

  3. Re: startx - allows only fvwm session

    NVangogh wrote:

    > I have the latest xorg server pkg installed and configured x11. I have
    > the correct driver installed for my system chipset.: xf86-video-intel. I
    > am guessing the problem is not with my xorg.conf [cause fvwm works & the
    > problem is also repeated on another pc of mine]
    >
    > The problem is that I cannot seem to startx with any wm other than fvwm
    > (this is fine, but i prefer gnome).
    >
    > this is what i have tried
    >
    > 1. I have followed the standard procedure: echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-
    > session" > /home/mydir/.xinitrc. On re-booting i try startx and get the
    > error i830 Vblank pipe setup failed 0.

    Seems like an error arrising from intel 830 driver.
    Maybe rename xorg.conf and startx
    or use Xorg -configure to generate a new xorg.conf

    Note from earlier post: You wanted Bash as default login then later want to
    run gdm etc.
    Why not just do a standard install of FreeBSD and get that working before
    you start re-designing the system?

    --

    Bill
    FreeBSD 7 on AMD-64

  4. Re: startx - allows only fvwm session

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:35:55 +0000, Bill Laird wrote:

    > Seems like an error arrising from intel 830 driver. Maybe rename
    > xorg.conf and startx
    > or use Xorg -configure to generate a new xorg.conf ...

    The fix was to apply a recent patch to the driver as advised by the patch
    writer.

    > Note from earlier post: You wanted Bash as default login then later want
    > to run gdm etc.
    > Why not just do a standard install of FreeBSD and get that working
    > before you start re-designing the system?

    I dont understand your point here. Making bash my default shell has
    nothing to do with the driver problem. And furthermore - i was not 're-
    designing the system'. I am not as clever as you may think

    Thanks for trying to help anyway.

  5. Re: startx - allows only fvwm session

    NVangogh wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:35:55 +0000, Bill Laird wrote:
    >

    >> Seems like an error arrising from intel 830 driver. Maybe rename
    >> xorg.conf and startx
    >> or use Xorg -configure to generate a new xorg.conf ...

    > The fix was to apply a recent patch to the driver as advised by the patch
    > writer.
    >
    >> Note from earlier post: You wanted Bash as default login then later want
    >> to run gdm etc.
    >> Why not just do a standard install of FreeBSD and get that working
    >> before you start re-designing the system?

    > I dont understand your point here. Making bash my default shell has
    > nothing to do with the driver problem. And furthermore - i was not 're-
    > designing the system'. I am not as clever as you may think
    >
    > Thanks for trying to help anyway.

    What I've done is to make the last line in my .profile file 'startx'
    the only line in my .xinitrc file is 'exec startkde'

    Boots up in kde fine

    Had nothing to do with permissions for me.

+ Reply to Thread