CompactFlash: PIO mode 4 when should be 6, Ultra-DMA mode 2 whenshould be 4 - BSD

This is a discussion on CompactFlash: PIO mode 4 when should be 6, Ultra-DMA mode 2 whenshould be 4 - BSD ; Hi all, I am having some issues with my server. I am using a flash CF card via an ATA to CF bridge. Problem is that this is going too slow. The CF card I use is said to support ...

  1. CompactFlash: PIO mode 4 when should be 6, Ultra-DMA mode 2 whenshould be 4

    Hi all,

    I am having some issues with my server.
    I am using a flash CF card via an ATA to CF bridge.
    Problem is that this is going too slow.

    The CF card I use is said to support IDE PIO mode 6 and Ultra DMA mode
    0-4
    However according to dmesg this is not how OpenBSD is pushing it

    # dmesg | grep wd0
    wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0:
    wd0: 1-sector PIO, LBA, 15296MB, 31326208 sectors
    wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
    root on wd0a swap on wd0b dump on wd0b

    Would it be possible for me to override this and force it to run at
    PIO mode 6 and Ultra DMA mode 4?

    Thankful for any hints
    BR/
    Jens

  2. Re: CompactFlash: PIO mode 4 when should be 6, Ultra-DMA mode 2 whenshould be 4

    On Aug 29, 4:17*am, j...@zekra.se wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am having some issues with my server.
    > I am using a flash CF card via an ATA to CF bridge.
    > Problem is that this is going too slow.
    >
    > The CF card I use is said to support IDE PIO mode 6 and Ultra DMA mode
    > 0-4
    > However according to dmesg this is not how OpenBSD is pushing it
    >
    > # dmesg | grep wd0
    > wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0:
    > wd0: 1-sector PIO, LBA, 15296MB, 31326208 sectors
    > wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
    > root on wd0a swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
    >
    > Would it be possible for me to override this and force it to run at
    > PIO mode 6 and Ultra DMA mode 4?
    >
    > Thankful for any hints
    > BR/
    > Jens

    I have now switched the IDE cable to a completely new one.
    Result is unfortunately still the same though :/

+ Reply to Thread