USB oddities 7.0 (kbd, mouse) - BSD

This is a discussion on USB oddities 7.0 (kbd, mouse) - BSD ; Installing FreeBSD 7.0 RELEASE on a system and I'm having some really odd USB behavior for the keyboard and mouse. Description of system: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P motherboard USB mouse (generic 2 button w/wheel) USB keyboard (logitech 104 key) In the BIOS, ...

  1. USB oddities 7.0 (kbd, mouse)

    Installing FreeBSD 7.0 RELEASE on a system and I'm having some really
    odd USB behavior for the keyboard and mouse. Description of system:
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P motherboard
    USB mouse (generic 2 button w/wheel)
    USB keyboard (logitech 104 key)

    In the BIOS, if I enable support for USB keyboard and mouse (disabled
    by default), the keyboard and mouse stop responding after the kernel
    boots to sysinstall. No response from any keys to select the install
    method. Nothing.

    If I disable support for USB keyboard and mouse, the keyboard does not
    respond while the loader is coming up. But the keyboard works after the
    kernel boots and sysinstall comes up.

    Anyone seen this sort of behavior before? Suggesions? Yes, I did search
    the FAQs and the handbook, but didn't find anything relevant.

    Thanks ...
    John

    --
    John Mastrolia
    "BSD: the daemons are no longer just in my head"

  2. Re: USB oddities 7.0 (kbd, mouse)

    (null) wrote:

    > Installing FreeBSD 7.0 RELEASE on a system and I'm having some really
    > odd USB behavior for the keyboard and mouse. Description of system:
    > Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P motherboard
    > USB mouse (generic 2 button w/wheel)
    > USB keyboard (logitech 104 key)
    >
    > In the BIOS, if I enable support for USB keyboard and mouse (disabled
    > by default), the keyboard and mouse stop responding after the kernel
    > boots to sysinstall. No response from any keys to select the install
    > method. Nothing.
    >
    > If I disable support for USB keyboard and mouse, the keyboard does not
    > respond while the loader is coming up. But the keyboard works after the
    > kernel boots and sysinstall comes up.

    Perhaps not exactly the same, but maybe close. With BIOS support for
    USB keyboard turned on, FreeBSD support for USB keyboard does not work.
    With BIOS USB turned off, FreeBSD sees and uses the USB and PSW keyboards
    in parallel.

    Unfortunately, at that point the similarities end.

    I wanted to log into the 7.0 box from the host I'm writing this email on,
    so as to copy the first few lines of dmesg output. The 7.0 console display
    turned into a mass of swarming mush on attempted ssh access.

    On restart, the 7.0 box refused to power up completely. The +12 volt supply
    is sitting at ~60 mV, the +5 volt supply is stuck at .629 volt. After waiting
    fifteen minutes the machine powers up normally....Ooops, it returned to the
    mass of swarming mush on the console. Power supply voltages are decent:
    +5 is 5.02, +12 is 11.87, not too bad.

    It's very tempting to think this is a hardware issue: the power supply
    is warm, as is the mainboard (VIA EPIA Eden, 600 MHz fanless). Can't
    tell if it's the PS or the MB, but the warm mainboard makes me think
    it's the culprit. The baffler is that it ran stable as a church for
    close to two years.

    HTH, I think you're on to something with the USB issue.

    bob prohaska

+ Reply to Thread