FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry - BSD ; Hello, I have a telephone line and I want to have a software on my FreeBSD box, enabling me make phone calls with a real telephone. Would you please help me provide some suggestions? Not sure how can I configure ...

  1. FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry

    Hello,

    I have a telephone line and I want to have a software on my FreeBSD
    box, enabling me make phone calls with a real telephone. Would you
    please help me provide some suggestions?

    Not sure how can I configure asterisk to do this as I do not want to
    make a VOIP system.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Roger

  2. Re: FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 03:40:58 -0700, RLC wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a telephone line and I want to have a software on my FreeBSD box,
    > enabling me make phone calls with a real telephone. Would you please
    > help me provide some suggestions?

    You want to do those annoying telemarketing calls?

    How about you plug in your telephone into your telephone line and let
    your fingers do the dialing?

    > Not sure how can I configure asterisk to do this as I do not want to
    > make a VOIP system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards
    > Roger

  3. Re: FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry

    Hello,

    Actually I had two phone numbers in my flat, one is from France
    Telecom, the other is from Orange as I subscribed to Orange ADSL. So I
    plug the telephone line with a physical telephone and leave the line
    coming from Orange Live box unplugged. And I need to use the orange
    line to make phone calls. That's all.
    Very simple reason.

    Could you please help provide some suggestions? Asterisk?

    Anyway, thanks again.

    Regards
    Roger

    On Aug 24, 4:19 pm, Speechless wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 03:40:58 -0700, RLC wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I have a telephone line and I want to have a software on my FreeBSD box,
    > > enabling me make phone calls with a real telephone. Would you please
    > > help me provide some suggestions?

    > You want to do those annoying telemarketing calls?
    >
    > How about you plug in your telephone into your telephone line and let
    > your fingers do the dialing?
    >

    > > Not sure how can I configure asterisk to do this as I do not want to
    > > make a VOIP system.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > Regards
    > > Roger

  4. Re: FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry

    In article <7a2dee03-71af-4f23-8408-14cdab7c2cda@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    RLC wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Actually I had two phone numbers in my flat, one is from France
    >Telecom, the other is from Orange as I subscribed to Orange ADSL. So I
    >plug the telephone line with a physical telephone and leave the line
    >coming from Orange Live box unplugged. And I need to use the orange
    >line to make phone calls. That's all.
    >Very simple reason.
    >
    >Could you please help provide some suggestions? Asterisk?
    >
    >Anyway, thanks again.
    >
    >Regards
    >Roger

    I'm not sure about European standards, but here in the US the last
    time I worked on something like this (10+ years..), you had to have
    a special card for your PC to interface a POTS
    (Plain-Old-Telephone-Service) analog phone-line into your PC (for
    anything other than using it for a modem, of course). We used cards
    from Dialogic, and the only drivers were for Windows or Unixware.

    It would be much cheaper and easier just to buy a second phone (about $8.00
    over here..).

    Ted
    --
    ------
    columbiaclosings.com

  5. Re: FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry

    >Actually I had two phone numbers in my flat, one is from France
    >Telecom, the other is from Orange as I subscribed to Orange ADSL. So I
    >plug the telephone line with a physical telephone and leave the line
    >coming from Orange Live box unplugged. And I need to use the orange
    >line to make phone calls. That's all.
    >Very simple reason.
    >
    >Could you please help provide some suggestions? Asterisk?

    How about spending 10 euros and get another phone?

    That's a lot easier and cheaper than all the equipment you'll need to
    interface two POTS lines and a phone to your computer.

    R's,
    John

  6. Re: FreeBSD Telephony Software Inquiry

    RLC wrote:
    > Actually I had two phone numbers in my flat, one is from France
    > Telecom, the other is from Orange as I subscribed to Orange ADSL. So I
    > plug the telephone line with a physical telephone and leave the line
    > coming from Orange Live box unplugged. And I need to use the orange
    > line to make phone calls. That's all.
    > Very simple reason.
    >
    > Could you please help provide some suggestions? Asterisk?

    One thing you can do, is set up Asterisk as ytour own little PABX, with
    your telephone lines as "city lines" or connections to the PSTN.

    You don't say if you phone lines are POTS (analog) or ISDN. either way,
    you'll need a card to interface with your phone line. And the card has
    to be supported in Asterisk, if that is the route you want to go.
    If you want to use ordinary phones, you will need interace cards for
    them too.

    FreeBSD has the zaptel[1] driver which supports a number of cards from
    Digium. I have never used one, so I can't tell you anything more about it.
    If your lines are ISDN, I guess any supported ISDN card will do.