Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Third level shift characters do not work (Belgian azerty)

    On 2008-08-24, Philip Paeps wrote:
    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    > Something with the "control" key where it belongs - next to the "a". The Sun
    > Type 5 remains my canonical reference for a "good" keyboard. I'm aware it's
    > got an "alt gr" key. I file that key under "mysterious" together with all the
    > other keys on the type5 that have no clear use - like most of the left side of
    > the keyboard. Though, "stop" of course has it's uses on Sun machines.
    >
    > I like happy hacking keyboards because they've got the 'important bits' of the
    > type5 and places them where they belong. I do map the right "alt", which is
    > where the "compose" key would go on a type5 to "compose" though.
    >
    > Pretty much the only real problem with type5 keyboards is that they don't make
    > desks large enough for them. The happy hacking keyboard solves that problem.

    I find that the only keyboard layout that makes sense is my DEC LK411
    with the big 'DO' key on the top row. It also takes up most of my desk
    space, however.

    Tom

    --
    Public Keys:
    PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1

  2. Re: Third level shift characters do not work (Belgian azerty)

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:01:26 UTC, Thomas Laus wrote:

    > On 2008-08-24, Philip Paeps wrote:
    > > Bob Eager wrote:
    > >
    > > Something with the "control" key where it belongs - next to the "a". The Sun
    > > Type 5 remains my canonical reference for a "good" keyboard. I'm aware it's
    > > got an "alt gr" key. I file that key under "mysterious" together with all the
    > > other keys on the type5 that have no clear use - like most of the left side of
    > > the keyboard. Though, "stop" of course has it's uses on Sun machines.
    > >
    > > I like happy hacking keyboards because they've got the 'important bits' of the
    > > type5 and places them where they belong. I do map the right "alt", which is
    > > where the "compose" key would go on a type5 to "compose" though.
    > >
    > > Pretty much the only real problem with type5 keyboards is that they don't make
    > > desks large enough for them. The happy hacking keyboard solves that problem.
    > >

    > I find that the only keyboard layout that makes sense is my DEC LK411
    > with the big 'DO' key on the top row. It also takes up most of my desk
    > space, however.

    I only have one DEC keyboard...but it's attached to a VAX!

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  3. Re: Third level shift characters do not work (Belgian azerty)

    On 2008-08-25, Bob Eager wrote:

    > I only have one DEC keyboard...but it's attached to a VAX!

    Mine is connected to a DS-10 running FreeBSD.

    Tom

    --
    Public Keys:
    PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1

  4. Re: Third level shift characters do not work (Belgian azerty)

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:30:28 UTC, Thomas Laus wrote:

    > On 2008-08-25, Bob Eager wrote:
    > >
    > > I only have one DEC keyboard...but it's attached to a VAX!
    > >

    > Mine is connected to a DS-10 running FreeBSD.

    Is that a DECStation or (gasp) a DECSystem-10?

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  5. Re: Third level shift characters do not work (Belgian azerty)

    On 2008-08-26, Bob Eager wrote:

    > Is that a DECStation or (gasp) a DECSystem-10?

    It is an AlphaStation DS-10, a lot newer!

    Tom

    --
    Public Keys:
    PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1

  6. Re: Third level shift characters do not work (Belgian azerty)

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:58:56 UTC, Thomas Laus wrote:

    > On 2008-08-26, Bob Eager wrote:
    > >
    > > Is that a DECStation or (gasp) a DECSystem-10?
    > >

    > It is an AlphaStation DS-10, a lot newer!

    But not nearly as interesting...

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  7. Re: Third level shift characters do not work (Belgian azerty)

    Bob Eager wrote:

    > The scan code is the two byte sequence E0 38 (with E0 B8 when released).
    > Hope this helps the OP.

    Yes, but X doesn't use directly scan codes, there is a first conversion
    from scan codes to keycodes (sometimes no keycode is associated to a
    scan code, then some hacking is necessary - this may be the case with
    "exotic" keyboards), then there is a second conversion from keycodes
    to keysyms, this one is easy to control with xmodmap or similar.
    This is different from Windows where scan codes are directly used and
    controllable through registry settings.

    --

    Michel TALON

+ Reply to Thread