cd writer not found - BSD

This is a discussion on cd writer not found - BSD ; Hello, I use FreeBSD 6.1 in my laptop(Toshiba Tecra 9100). I have a dvd-rom drive. I am able to do read operations with the drive. But writing is a problem. cdrecord says no cd writer or unsupported cd/dvd. The dvd- ...

  1. cd writer not found

    Hello,

    I use FreeBSD 6.1 in my laptop(Toshiba Tecra 9100). I have a dvd-rom
    drive. I am able to do read operations with the drive. But writing is
    a problem. cdrecord says no cd writer or unsupported cd/dvd. The dvd-
    rom is generic. xcdroast says no cd writer while k3b doesn't display
    the writer itself. Pls help me to able write using the dvd-rom(cd -
    rw). Also, this is the first time i am trying writing using the dvd-
    rom. Searching in google, i got DriverDirective.exe, but its for
    windows? Is there something equivalent for FreeBSD?

    Thanks,
    Balaji.

  2. Re: cd writer not found

    On Aug 17, 10:08*pm, kasthurirangan.bal...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I use FreeBSD 6.1 in my laptop(Toshiba Tecra 9100). I have a dvd-rom
    > drive. I am able to do read operations with the drive. But writing is
    > a problem. cdrecord says no cd writer or unsupported cd/dvd. The dvd-
    > rom is generic. xcdroast says no cd writer while k3b doesn't display
    > the writer itself. Pls help me to able write using the dvd-rom(cd -
    > rw). Also, this is the first time i am trying writing using the dvd-
    > rom. Searching in google, i got DriverDirective.exe, but its for
    > windows? Is there something equivalent for FreeBSD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Balaji.

    Hello,

    My apologies. It was not my intend to post twice, but then my laptop
    played the trick.

    Thanks,
    Balaji.

  3. Re: cd writer not found

    kasthurirangan balaji writes:
    > Hello,

    > I use FreeBSD 6.1 in my laptop(Toshiba Tecra 9100). I have a dvd-rom
    > drive. I am able to do read operations with the drive. But writing is
    > a problem. cdrecord says no cd writer or unsupported cd/dvd. The dvd-
    > rom is generic. xcdroast says no cd writer while k3b doesn't display
    > the writer itself. Pls help me to able write using the dvd-rom(cd -
    > rw). Also, this is the first time i am trying writing using the dvd-
    > rom. Searching in google, i got DriverDirective.exe, but its for
    > windows? Is there something equivalent for FreeBSD?

    I used burncd[1] on FreeBSD 6.1 to burn discs.

    How about trying a recent version of FreeBSD .

    > Thanks,
    > Balaji.

    [1] - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...ating-cds.html

    HTH
    Ashish Shukla

  4. Re: cd writer not found

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:35:11 +0530,
    Ashish Shukla ???? ????? wrote:
    > kasthurirangan balaji writes:
    >> I use FreeBSD 6.1 in my laptop(Toshiba Tecra 9100). I have a dvd-rom
    >> drive. I am able to do read operations with the drive. But writing is
    >> a problem. cdrecord says no cd writer or unsupported cd/dvd.

    [snip!]

    > I used burncd[1] on FreeBSD 6.1 to burn discs.

    That works fine for CDs, but for DVDs, not so much.

    cdrecord can write DVDs but IIRC needs atapicam(4) to work with ATAPI
    drives.

    > How about trying a recent version of FreeBSD .

    6.* should work fine. In fact, I've burned DVDs on 5.* (or was it 4.*?
    I don't recall) using ATAPI drives, atapicam and cdrecord.