How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus) - BSD

This is a discussion on How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus) - BSD ; A few days ago i tried to install azureus (i know there are others - but i really want to get this one working). I updated my ports tree first and manually downloaded the files that had to be placed ...

  1. How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus)

    A few days ago i tried to install azureus (i know there are others - but
    i really want to get this one working). I updated my ports tree first and
    manually downloaded the files that had to be placed in /usr/ports/
    distfiles.

    I then did 'make install' - Everything seemed to be going well when i
    started the compilation at 6pm. By 1am, i was ready to go to sleep and
    needed to stop the compilation so i issued a 'ctrl-c' while the compiler
    was still busy making java - i think.

    I figured that the reason it was taking so long to compile was probably
    cause i only have 256mb ram and i was running x and a few other apps that
    were limiting the memory available to the compiler.

    Today, I tried again. First, I did a 'make clean' in the azureus ports
    directory, then make install. It seems like i have 'botched' the install
    of some essential part/s of a dependancy because i keep getting this
    output error:

    _____________________output error____________________

    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    *** Error code 2

    Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/swt-devel.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/azureus.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/azureus.

    Looking at the full compiler messages, gio-fam-backend.tar.gz
    is missing. So i found it and tried to install it manually, but i keep
    getting the same errors.

    My question is, how can i flush the system of all the mess i made -
    presumably when i interupted the compiler? I basically want to start
    again this time in console -early in the morning - and leave it to build.

    Please help me. Thanks.
    --
    /usr/home/neil/sig.abw

  2. Re: How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus)

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:58:37 +0100, NVangogh wrote:

    > A few days ago i tried to install azureus (i know there are others - but
    > i really want to get this one working). I updated my ports tree first
    > and manually downloaded the files that had to be placed in /usr/ports/
    > distfiles.
    >
    > I then did 'make install' - Everything seemed to be going well when i
    > started the compilation at 6pm. By 1am, i was ready to go to sleep and
    > needed to stop the compilation so i issued a 'ctrl-c' while the compiler
    > was still busy making java - i think.
    >
    > I figured that the reason it was taking so long to compile was probably
    > cause i only have 256mb ram and i was running x and a few other apps
    > that were limiting the memory available to the compiler.
    >
    > Today, I tried again. First, I did a 'make clean' in the azureus ports
    > directory, then make install. It seems like i have 'botched' the install
    > of some essential part/s of a dependancy because i keep getting this
    > output error:
    >
    > _____________________output error____________________
    >
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    > gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    > *** Error code 2
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend. *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/swt-devel. *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/azureus.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/azureus.
    >
    > __________________________________________________ ____
    >
    > Looking at the full compiler messages, gio-fam-backend.tar.gz is
    > missing. So i found it and tried to install it manually, but i keep
    > getting the same errors.
    >
    > My question is, how can i flush the system of all the mess i made -
    > presumably when i interupted the compiler? I basically want to start
    > again this time in console -early in the morning - and leave it to
    > build.
    >
    > Please help me. Thanks.

    I've just tried re-updating ports tree. i then did a pkg_tree for some
    programs that failed to work i.e limewire & frostwire. I did pkg_delete -
    fr for these and their dependancies cause i suspect the problem has
    something to do with java.
    I'm now compiling azureus again and it seems to be building properly. i
    will have to wait and see. but please let me know if there is a easier
    way to fix this - i have a similar problem but with my shell on another
    pc.

    --

  3. Re: How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus)

    i installed java but had to upgrade glib, for azureus to install.

    Problem is now that it just seg faults if i try to start it. any help
    please?

  4. Re: How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus)

    NVangogh writes:
    > i installed java but had to upgrade glib, for azureus to install.

    > Problem is now that it just seg faults if i try to start it. any help
    > please?

    Probably pasting stacktrace using 'gdb' might help help. Please follow
    the following steps to get the stacktrace:

    1. Start gdb

    $ gdb

    2. Load the java.core core file using core-file.

    (gdb) core-file java.core

    3. Print backtrace

    (gdb) bt

    If you've not built your java with debug symbols, it'll be difficult
    to figure out the exact location of the issue. BtW, I don't use java
    or azureus on FreeBSD, so I'm not away of any such issue.

    HTH
    Ashish Shukla

  5. Re: How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus)

    On Aug 15, 12:58*pm, NVangogh wrote:
    > A few days ago i tried to install azureus (i know there are others - but
    > i really want to get this one working). I updated my ports tree first and
    > manually downloaded the files that had to be placed in /usr/ports/
    > distfiles.
    >
    > I then did 'make install' - Everything seemed to be going well when i
    > started the compilation at 6pm. By 1am, i was ready to go to sleep and
    > needed to stop the compilation so i issued a 'ctrl-c' while the compiler
    > was still busy making java - i think.
    >
    > I figured that the reason it was taking so long to compile was probably
    > cause i only have 256mb ram and i was running x and a few other apps that
    > were limiting the memory available to the compiler.
    >
    > Today, I tried again. First, I did a 'make clean' in the azureus ports
    > directory, then make install. It seems like i have 'botched' the install
    > of some essential part/s of a dependancy because i keep getting this
    > output error:
    >
    > _____________________output error____________________
    >
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0
    > gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
    > *** Error code 2
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/swt-devel.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/azureus.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/azureus.
    >
    > __________________________________________________ ____
    >
    > Looking at the full compiler messages, gio-fam-backend.tar.gz
    > is missing. So i found it and tried to install it manually, but i keep
    > getting the same errors.
    >
    > My question is, how can i flush the system of all the mess i made -
    > presumably when i interupted the compiler? I basically want to start
    > again this time in console -early in the morning - and leave it to build.

    Clever use of pkg_delete with the -r and -R flags can get rid of a lot
    of
    mis-built or incorrectly linked stuff. (a more radical solution is to
    rm
    everything under /usr/local and /var/db/pkg and start again)

    I would delete all the packages depending on glib and gtk, and if that
    failed I would remove everything I didn't recognise as explicitly
    needed
    (like robotfindskitten or bash or sdd) followed by (if failed) the
    whole of
    /usr/local.

    HTH

  6. Re: How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus)

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:49:04 +0530, Ashish Shukla wrote:

    > Probably pasting stacktrace using 'gdb' might help help. Please follow
    > the following steps to get the stacktrace:
    >
    > 1. Start gdb
    >
    > $ gdb
    >
    > 2. Load the java.core core file using core-file.
    >
    > (gdb) core-file java.core
    >
    > 3. Print backtrace
    >
    > (gdb) bt
    >
    > If you've not built your java with debug symbols, it'll be difficult
    > to figure out the exact location of the issue. BtW, I don't use java
    > or azureus on FreeBSD, so I'm not away of any such issue.
    >
    > HTH
    > Ashish Shukla

    today i tried to install some games - and other stuff all complained that
    i had the wrong version of glib. so i did a pkg_delete -f. i did a
    sysinstall to try to put back the old version, but it did not work. i then
    tried a 'upgrade' which removed my kernel - the system would not load and
    i did not know how to fix it. the mount points were all rubbed out.
    i had no choice but to erase my disk and start again.
    Nearly 1 months work of configuring down the drain - all for a lousy p2p
    program that i never got to worked anyways.

  7. Re: How to fix a 'botched' install of a port?(Azureus)

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 02:08:59 +0100, NVangogh wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:49:04 +0530, Ashish Shukla wrote:
    >

    > today i tried to install some games - and other stuff all complained
    > that i had the wrong version of glib. so i did a pkg_delete -f. i did a
    > sysinstall to try to put back the old version, but it did not work. i
    > then tried a 'upgrade' which removed my kernel - the system would not
    > load and i did not know how to fix it. the mount points were all rubbed
    > out. i had no choice but to erase my disk and start again. Nearly 1
    > months work of configuring down the drain

    You might want to learn how to write/use sh, sed, and awk scripts to
    do your system configuration. Put everything into one large file and burn it
    onto a CD for disasters like this. Using this method, it takes about
    a minute to configure a system -- as fast as you can load a CD into the
    system CD/DVD drive, mount it, and run the configuration script file.

    > - all for a lousy p2p program
    > that i never got to worked anyways.

    Hey, we all did things like that, until we learned to work smarter, not
    harder.

+ Reply to Thread