wordprocessor help - BSD

This is a discussion on wordprocessor help - BSD ; I need a wordprocessor that can display microsoft compliant formats. I have looked at star office, openoffice org - but these require a lot of memory to build: i only have 256mb. There dont seem to be any packages for ...

  1. wordprocessor help

    I need a wordprocessor that can display microsoft compliant formats.
    I have looked at star office, openoffice org - but these require a lot of
    memory to build: i only have 256mb.
    There dont seem to be any packages for these either.

    I have got linux mandrake rpms / srpms for these wordprocessors, but i
    guess it would open a hornets nest if i simply tried to 'install' these.

    Can anyone give me some urgent advice please?

  2. Re: wordprocessor help

    NVangogh wrote:

    > I need a wordprocessor that can display microsoft compliant formats.
    > I have looked at star office, openoffice org - but these require a lot of
    > memory to build: i only have 256mb.
    > There dont seem to be any packages for these either.
    >
    > I have got linux mandrake rpms / srpms for these wordprocessors, but i
    > guess it would open a hornets nest if i simply tried to 'install' these.
    >
    > Can anyone give me some urgent advice please?

    There are some binary packages for OpenOffice.org at

    With only 256MB memory I'd expect OpenOffice to suffer from a lot of paging
    activity.

    --
    Mike Clarke

  3. Re: wordprocessor help

    > There are some binary packages for OpenOffice.org at
    >

    > With only 256MB memory I'd expect OpenOffice to suffer from a lot of
    > paging activity.

    thanks, but these binary packages appear only for Freebsd 6 & amd64:
    ive got Freebsd 7 & i386 - so it probably wont work.

    i wonder if there is any emacs extension that enables read/write of
    microsoft type files?

  4. Re: wordprocessor help

    In <48a59757$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, on 15 Aug 2008
    15:48:55 +0100, NVangogh, artist@gallery.net wrote:

    > i wonder if there is any emacs extension that enables read/write of
    > microsoft type files?

    Have you tried Abiword? Its MSWord abilities aren't
    as up to date as those of OOo, but it might be worth a
    shot.

    --
    ☯☯

  5. Re: wordprocessor help

    NVangogh wrote:

    > > There are some binary packages for OpenOffice.org at
    > >

    > > With only 256MB memory I'd expect OpenOffice to suffer from a lot of
    > > paging activity.

    > thanks, but these binary packages appear only for Freebsd 6 & amd64:
    > ive got Freebsd 7 & i386 - so it probably wont work.

    There are prebuilt packages for FreeBSD-7, i am using them. Look at:
    ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/O....0-STABLE/i386

    --

    Michel TALON

  6. Re: wordprocessor help

    > There are prebuilt packages for FreeBSD-7, i am using them. Look at:
    > ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/O...BSD/2.4.0/7.0-

    STABLE/i386

    thanks - i will try figuring how to do this later.

  7. Re: wordprocessor help

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:20:17 -0400, Steve Ackman wrote:

    > Have you tried Abiword? Its MSWord abilities aren't
    > as up to date as those of OOo, but it might be worth a shot.

    Thanks man, this installed easily for me and can edit the urgent
    microsoft doc i had.
    thank you.

  8. Re: wordprocessor help

    Michel Talon wrote:
    > NVangogh wrote:
    >>> There are some binary packages for OpenOffice.org at
    >>>

    >>> With only 256MB memory I'd expect OpenOffice to suffer from a lot of
    >>> paging activity.

    >> thanks, but these binary packages appear only for Freebsd 6 & amd64:
    >> ive got Freebsd 7 & i386 - so it probably wont work.

    > There are prebuilt packages for FreeBSD-7, i am using them. Look at:
    > ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/O....0-STABLE/i386

    OO-3.0 is much, MUCH better than 2.x, especially memory utilization. I
    don't remember whether there are any binaries anywhere for V3, but if
    you can compile it (LOTS of HD needed), then you will be much better off
    with V3.0 than using any of the 2.x versions. However, I am not thrilled
    with its new "startup window", but that is a minor inconvenience.

+ Reply to Thread