Help identifying disk format - BSD

This is a discussion on Help identifying disk format - BSD ; I've got a hard drive with two partitions on it in from a customer. One partition is msdosfs. The other is something else. In the fdisk display it has a PType of 4 and a Subtype of 99, Desc "Unknown". ...

  1. Help identifying disk format

    I've got a hard drive with two partitions on it in from a customer. One
    partition is msdosfs. The other is something else. In the fdisk display it
    has a PType of 4 and a Subtype of 99, Desc "Unknown".

    Any ideas what this might be?

    On that note, is there a list of PType/Subtypes anywhere? Googling didn't
    seem to help much.

    Many thanks.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  2. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:

    Sorry, should have added: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  3. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:
    > I've got a hard drive with two partitions on it in from a customer. One
    > partition is msdosfs. The other is something else. In the fdisk display it
    > has a PType of 4 and a Subtype of 99, Desc "Unknown".
    >
    > Any ideas what this might be?

    Turns out it's SCO Openserver 5.0.4

    So my question now is: can I mount this partition?

    Thanks.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  4. Re: Help identifying disk format

    Jim wrote:
    > I've got a hard drive with two partitions on it in from a customer. One
    > partition is msdosfs. The other is something else. In the fdisk display it
    > has a PType of 4 and a Subtype of 99, Desc "Unknown".
    >
    > Any ideas what this might be?
    >
    > On that note, is there a list of PType/Subtypes anywhere? Googling didn't
    > seem to help much.

    disktype[1] is my tool of choice for identifying unknown disks,
    partitions etc.

    HTH

    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  5. Re: Help identifying disk format

    Jim wrote:
    > On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:
    >> I've got a hard drive with two partitions on it in from a customer. One
    >> partition is msdosfs. The other is something else. In the fdisk display it
    >> has a PType of 4 and a Subtype of 99, Desc "Unknown".
    >>
    >> Any ideas what this might be?

    > Turns out it's SCO Openserver 5.0.4
    >
    > So my question now is: can I mount this partition?

    It could be any of a number of filesystems:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems

    file(1) may be able to identify it with the -s flag:

    file -s /dev/ad2s1

    Hopefully, it'll be something FreeBSD can mount.

  6. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-15, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> I've got a hard drive with two partitions on it in from a customer. One
    >> partition is msdosfs. The other is something else. In the fdisk display it
    >> has a PType of 4 and a Subtype of 99, Desc "Unknown".
    >>
    >> Any ideas what this might be?
    >>
    >> On that note, is there a list of PType/Subtypes anywhere? Googling didn't
    >> seem to help much.

    > disktype[1] is my tool of choice for identifying unknown disks,
    > partitions etc.
    >
    > HTH

    $ disktype /dev/da0s4
    --- /dev/da0s4
    Character device, unknown size

    Bugger. But thank you for the suggestion, I didn't know of that bit of
    software. Might be useful in the future.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  7. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-15, Warren Block wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:
    >>> I've got a hard drive with two partitions on it in from a customer. One
    >>> partition is msdosfs. The other is something else. In the fdisk display it
    >>> has a PType of 4 and a Subtype of 99, Desc "Unknown".
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas what this might be?

    >> Turns out it's SCO Openserver 5.0.4
    >>
    >> So my question now is: can I mount this partition?

    > It could be any of a number of filesystems:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems
    >
    > file(1) may be able to identify it with the -s flag:
    >
    > file -s /dev/ad2s1
    >
    > Hopefully, it'll be something FreeBSD can mount.

    I'll give that a try, thanks.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  8. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:

    >> file(1) may be able to identify it with the -s flag:
    >>
    >> file -s /dev/ad2s1
    >>
    >> Hopefully, it'll be something FreeBSD can mount.
    >>

    > I'll give that a try, thanks.

    Sadly no joy:

    $ file /dev/da0s4
    /dev/da0s4: character special (0/82)

    Thanks anyway.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  9. Re: Help identifying disk format

    Begin
    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:56:50 +0100, Jim wrote:
    >>> file(1) may be able to identify it with the -s flag:
    >>>
    >>> file -s /dev/ad2s1

    ^^

    > Sadly no joy:
    >
    > $ file /dev/da0s4
    > /dev/da0s4: character special (0/82)

    -s, --special-files
    Normally, file only attempts to read and determine the type of
    argument files which stat(2) reports are ordinary files. This
    prevents problems, because reading special files may have pecu-
    liar consequences. Specifying the -s option causes file to also
    read argument files which are block or character special files.
    This is useful for determining the file system types of the data
    in raw disk partitions, which are block special files. This
    option also causes file to disregard the file size as reported by
    stat(2) since on some systems it reports a zero size for raw disk
    partitions.

  10. Re: Help identifying disk format

    jpd wrote:

    > Begin

    > ^^
    >
    > > Sadly no joy:
    > >
    > > $ file /dev/da0s4
    > > /dev/da0s4: character special (0/82)

    > -s, --special-files
    > Normally, file only attempts to read and determine the type of
    > argument files which stat(2) reports are ordinary files. This
    > prevents problems, because reading special files may have pecu-
    > liar consequences. Specifying the -s option causes file to also
    > read argument files which are block or character special files.
    > This is useful for determining the file system types of the data
    > in raw disk partitions, which are block special files. This
    > option also causes file to disregard the file size as reported by
    > stat(2) since on some systems it reports a zero size for raw disk
    > partitions.

    Oh, bother. Yes, I missed that. I'll try again on Monday and see what
    happens.

    Many thanks all.

    Jim
    --
    'Cloverfield' in nine words: "What is it?!" "We're gonna die!" BOOM!
    Roll credits.

    http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/greyareauk

  11. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:

    > Oh, bother. Yes, I missed that. I'll try again on Monday and see what
    > happens.

    $ file -s /dev/da0s4
    /dev/da0s4: x86 boot sector

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  12. Re: Help identifying disk format

    Jim wrote:
    > On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh, bother. Yes, I missed that. I'll try again on Monday and see what
    >> happens.
    >>

    > $ file -s /dev/da0s4
    > /dev/da0s4: x86 boot sector

    Try da0s5 also.

  13. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-18, Warren Block wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-15, Jim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Oh, bother. Yes, I missed that. I'll try again on Monday and see what
    >>> happens.
    >>>

    >> $ file -s /dev/da0s4
    >> /dev/da0s4: x86 boot sector

    > Try da0s5 also.

    The only devices showing are /dev/da0, /dev/da0s1 and /dev/da0s4

    da0s1 is a DOS partition.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    use 'xcopy' to copy a folder with a space in the name.

  14. Re: Help identifying disk format

    Jim wrote:
    > On 2008-08-18, Warren Block wrote:
    >> Jim wrote:

    >>> $ file -s /dev/da0s4
    >>> /dev/da0s4: x86 boot sector

    >> Try da0s5 also.

    > The only devices showing are /dev/da0, /dev/da0s1 and /dev/da0s4
    >
    > da0s1 is a DOS partition.

    Okay, that's a little odd. There is a comp.unix.sco.misc newsgroup
    which may be more help.

  15. Re: Help identifying disk format

    On 2008-08-19, Warren Block wrote:

    >>> Try da0s5 also.

    >> The only devices showing are /dev/da0, /dev/da0s1 and /dev/da0s4
    >>
    >> da0s1 is a DOS partition.

    > Okay, that's a little odd. There is a comp.unix.sco.misc newsgroup
    > which may be more help.

    It was some sort of dual-boot drive, but to be honest it's not really a
    problem. The site has decided they don't need the data on it (grrrr) so it's
    now purely idle interest to me.

    Thanks.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK

    Things our resident MCSE didn't know how to do today:
    open a port on the XP firewall.

+ Reply to Thread