FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor - BSD ; Hi, I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any tool or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new ...

  1. FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    Hi,

    I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any tool or
    website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of distfiles from
    upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new version is available.

    Thanks
    Ashish Shukla

  2. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:33:24 +0530, आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any tool
    > or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of
    > distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new
    > version is available.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ashish Shukla

    I'm not sure what your question is. If you are doing language translation
    or localization of stuff that has already been ported, one of the
    following might be what you are looking for:

    http://www.freshports.org/

    Mailing lists are the primary means of communication for the FreeBSD
    project. You can subscribe to the relevant mailing list or search the
    archives at the URL I've given above for whatever it is you are looking
    for.

  3. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any tool
    > or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of
    > distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new
    > version is available.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ashish Shukla

    You can go to freshmeat.net and subscribe to the projects. Usually, when
    a new release of e.g. phpmyadmin comes out, I get a mail about it.

    Would that be OK?

    cheers,
    Rainer

  4. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    Speechless writes:
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:33:24 +0530, आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any tool
    >> or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of
    >> distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new
    >> version is available.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ashish Shukla

    > I'm not sure what your question is. If you are doing language translation
    > or localization of stuff that has already been ported, one of the
    > following might be what you are looking for:

    > http://www.freshports.org/

    Let me give you an example. e.g. I maintain x11/libxcb port, and if
    upstream releases a new tarball say libxcb-1.1.92.tar.gz. Then I won't
    be able to update my port, unless I check upstream's site manually
    periodically. This is okay, if you've one or two ports to maintain,
    but if you've 15 ports to maintain, this consumes lots of time. So,
    I'm looking for some utility or website, which keeps track of these
    availability of new upstream sources for me. So I can visit that
    one website periodically. Debian Packaging System has something
    similar like watch file, where one has to specify the location to
    monitor for new versions.

    > Mailing lists are the primary means of communication for the FreeBSD
    > project. You can subscribe to the relevant mailing list or search the
    > archives at the URL I've given above for whatever it is you are looking
    > for.

    I'm already subscribed to couple of those lists.

    Ashish

  5. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    Rainer Duffner writes:
    > आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla schrieb:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any
    >> tool or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of
    >> distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new
    >> version is available.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ashish Shukla

    > You can go to freshmeat.net and subscribe to the projects. Usually,
    > when a new release of e.g. phpmyadmin comes out, I get a mail about
    > it.

    Yes, I know about freshmeat.net, but does all of ports upstream
    sources are registered at freshmeat.net. I remember of seeing similar
    thing on 'ports' list, but not able to to find at this moment.

    Thanks
    Ashish Shukla

  6. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:41:45 +0530, Ashish Shukla
    wrote:

    >Let me give you an example. e.g. I maintain x11/libxcb port, and if
    >upstream releases a new tarball say libxcb-1.1.92.tar.gz. Then I won't
    >be able to update my port, unless I check upstream's site manually
    >periodically. This is okay, if you've one or two ports to maintain,
    >but if you've 15 ports to maintain, this consumes lots of time. So,
    >I'm looking for some utility or website, which keeps track of these
    >availability of new upstream sources for me. So I can visit that
    >one website periodically. Debian Packaging System has something
    >similar like watch file, where one has to specify the location to
    >monitor for new versions.

    Presumably you have the ports installed that you are interested in.
    What about portsnap run by cron daily to check for new versions. Then
    update your INDEX file and run pkg_version against it

    pkg_version | grep '<'

    will show you which packages have a later version, or am I missing
    something :-)

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  7. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:26:31 +0100 (BST),
    Rodney Pont wrote:
    >>Let me give you an example. e.g. I maintain x11/libxcb port, and if

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    [snip!]
    > Presumably you have the ports installed that you are interested in.

    You're missing the point. The OP says he needs to track actual release
    tarballs so that he can update the ports he is maintaining.

    AFAIUHQ, he is asking for a unified way to track new releases from the
    source sites (ie NOT from FreeBSD's ports, as he's the maintainer who
    makes that happen).

    I don't think such a thing exists yet; the closest I can think of right
    away is to see if they all have rss aggregators and go from there. Those
    that don't have RSS feeds might have news pages that update, so one
    could write something that trolls those to see if they've changed since
    the last check, then flag those for manual inspection. Not perfect, but
    probably better than having to do it all by hand.

    It may be worth checking freshmeat for something like that, too. The
    scripts people use to track webcomics of their interest might come close.

  8. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    On 16 Aug 2008 15:43:19 GMT, jpd wrote:

    >> Presumably you have the ports installed that you are interested in.

    >You're missing the point. The OP says he needs to track actual release
    >tarballs so that he can update the ports he is maintaining.
    >
    >AFAIUHQ, he is asking for a unified way to track new releases from the
    >source sites (ie NOT from FreeBSD's ports, as he's the maintainer who
    >makes that happen).

    Right, the penny has dropped with a big clunk, thanks for explaining. I
    was thinking of other libraries the ports depended on, not the actual
    port itself.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  9. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल schrieb:
    > Rainer Duffner writes:
    >> आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla schrieb:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any
    >>> tool or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of
    >>> distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new
    >>> version is available.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Ashish Shukla

    >> You can go to freshmeat.net and subscribe to the projects. Usually,
    >> when a new release of e.g. phpmyadmin comes out, I get a mail about
    >> it.

    > Yes, I know about freshmeat.net, but does all of ports upstream
    > sources are registered at freshmeat.net. I remember of seeing similar
    > thing on 'ports' list, but not able to to find at this moment.

    You are right. Not everything is listed indivually on freshmeat.net.

    What are your ports, BTW (if you want to share that information)?

    Regards,
    Rainer

  10. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    Rainer Duffner writes:
    > Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल schrieb:
    >> Rainer Duffner writes:

    >>> You can go to freshmeat.net and subscribe to the projects. Usually,
    >>> when a new release of e.g. phpmyadmin comes out, I get a mail about
    >>> it.

    >> Yes, I know about freshmeat.net, but does all of ports upstream
    >> sources are registered at freshmeat.net. I remember of seeing similar
    >> thing on 'ports' list, but not able to to find at this moment.

    I found somewhat similar stuff at following link (the original link is
    not working anymore):

    http://web.archive.org/web/200605012...eebsd.org.html

    > You are right. Not everything is listed indivually on freshmeat.net.

    > What are your ports, BTW (if you want to share that information)?

    FreeBSD ports maintained by me:
    http://www.freshports.org/search.php...java@gmail.com

    Thanks
    Ashish Shukla

  11. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:33:24 +0530 Ashish Shukla wrote:

    > I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any
    > tool or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of
    > distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new
    > version is available.

    Title: ChangeDetection - Know when any web page changes

    -c

  12. Re: FreeBSD ports distfiles monitor

    In <5ll3o5x03q2.ln2@nntp.spotteswoode.dnsalias.org>, clemens fischer wrote:
    >On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:33:24 +0530 Ashish Shukla wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a ports maintainer for few of the FreeBSD ports. Is there any
    >> tool or website, which can monitor freebsd ports for new versions of
    >> distfiles from upstream. So, I can update my ports as soon as a new
    >> version is available.

    >Title: ChangeDetection - Know when any web page changes

    Thanks for the link.

    Ashish

+ Reply to Thread