Xerox Phaser 6110 printer - BSD

This is a discussion on Xerox Phaser 6110 printer - BSD ; Does anybody have a Xerox Phaser 6110 printer working with FreeBSD? My current inkjet is on it's last legs and the 6110 looks like a good deal at only 90 GBP for a network capable colour laser. It's listed in ...

  1. Xerox Phaser 6110 printer

    Does anybody have a Xerox Phaser 6110 printer working with FreeBSD? My
    current inkjet is on it's last legs and the 6110 looks like a good deal
    at only 90 GBP for a network capable colour laser. It's listed in the
    OpenPrinting database as working "mostly" but I'm not sure if that applies
    to FreeBSD as well as Linux and how good "mostly" is.

    I'm using CUPS which seems to support the Phaser 6110 via the SpliX port
    along with 12 other Xerox printers but rather worryingly pkg-descr only
    lists the 3117 and 6100 as "Works" with the rest, including the 6110,
    as "Untested".

    I don't have the necessary skills to hack the driver if things don't
    work so I'm hoping someone might be able to give some indication if this
    printer is likely to work with FreeBSD or not.

    --
    Mike Clarke

  2. Re: Xerox Phaser 6110 printer

    Mike Clarke wrote:

    > Does anybody have a Xerox Phaser 6110 printer working with FreeBSD? My
    > current inkjet is on it's last legs and the 6110 looks like a good deal
    > at only 90 GBP for a network capable colour laser. It's listed in the
    > OpenPrinting database as working "mostly" but I'm not sure if that applies
    > to FreeBSD as well as Linux and how good "mostly" is.

    Openprinting.org has changed since we talked about this on -questions.
    It now shows "works Perfectly" and lists both qpdl and splix. splix
    home page still shows untested.

    > I don't have the necessary skills to hack the driver if things don't
    > work so I'm hoping someone might be able to give some indication if this
    > printer is likely to work with FreeBSD or not.

    There's an MFP version of the 6110 with a front USB port and the ability
    to print bitmaps from USB sticks. That would allow testing of
    FreeBSD-generated files.

    There's also the Samsung CLP315, which appears to be the same printer
    without Ethernet, or the CLP315W, which has USB and wireless. Firmware
    differences might mean they're not interchangeable with the Xerox.

    Officemax in the US has the CLP315 for $130 this week.

  3. Re: Xerox Phaser 6110 printer

    That had me puzzled for a while, I had another look at www.openprinting.org
    and found it still marked as "Mostly". But it turns out that there are 2
    different reports, the "official" one and a user contributed one. I'd used
    the first search option to search for specific printers which only shows
    the "official" one (twice) and marks it as working mostly. Then I tried the
    option to show all printers made by Xerox and found both versions, Assuming
    that the user contributed data is correct then the 6110 becomes much more
    tempting. Thanks for pointing it out.

    > There's an MFP version of the 6110 with a front USB port and the ability
    > to print bitmaps from USB sticks. *That would allow testing of
    > FreeBSD-generated files.

    That would be useful if I could get access to one to try out before buying
    but I don't think that's very likely anywhere near here.

    > There's also the Samsung CLP315, which appears to be the same printer
    > without Ethernet, or the CLP315W, which has USB and wireless. *Firmware
    > differences might mean they're not interchangeable with the Xerox.
    >
    > Officemax in the US has the CLP315 for $130 this week.

    It looks similar but might not be, some of toner cartridge supplier web
    pages show totally different cartridges. Academic point though, UK prices
    for the Samsung are about 120 GBP compared to 80 GBP for the 6110 (USB
    only) or 90 GBP for the 6110N (with network capability).

    --
    Mike Clarke

+ Reply to Thread