how do you pause the gcc compiler? - BSD

This is a discussion on how do you pause the gcc compiler? - BSD ; how can you just put a compilation 'on hold' without stopping it by a ctrl-c? I need to do this cause sometimes if i am compiling a big thing it can take hours and the system seems to give priority ...

  1. how do you pause the gcc compiler?

    how can you just put a compilation 'on hold' without stopping it by a
    ctrl-c?
    I need to do this cause sometimes if i am compiling a big thing it can
    take hours and the system seems to give priority to compilation process
    slowing EVERYTHING down. If i could just lern how to 'pause' a
    compilation - that would be cool.

  2. Re: how do you pause the gcc compiler?

    In article <48a3200e$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,
    NVangogh wrote:

    >how can you just put a compilation 'on hold' without stopping it by a
    >ctrl-c?
    >I need to do this cause sometimes if i am compiling a big thing it can
    >take hours and the system seems to give priority to compilation process
    >slowing EVERYTHING down. If i could just lern how to 'pause' a
    >compilation - that would be cool.

    ctrl-z stops most anything running.

    Restart with "fg".

    Ted
    --
    ------
    columbiaclosings.com

  3. Re: how do you pause the gcc compiler?

    NVangogh wrote:
    >I need to do this cause sometimes if i am compiling a big thing it can
    >take hours and the system seems to give priority to compilation process
    >slowing EVERYTHING down. If i could just lern how to 'pause' a
    >compilation - that would be cool.

    man 1 nice/man 8 renice
    --
    Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com

  4. Re: how do you pause the gcc compiler?

    NVangogh wrote:
    > I need to do this cause sometimes if i am compiling a big thing it can
    > take hours and the system seems to give priority to compilation process
    > slowing EVERYTHING down. If i could just lern how to 'pause' a
    > compilation - that would be cool.

    Others have already mentioned (re)nice and CTRL-Z. Also pretty handy
    ist XON/XOFF - for instance to freeze quickly scrolling output.
    Usually CTRL-s to stop the terminal and CTRL-q to continue. Be aware
    that processes are only stopped when they try to write to the controlling
    terminal.

    cu
    Clemens.
    --
    /"\ http://czauner.onlineloop.com/
    \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

  5. Re: how do you pause the gcc compiler?

    NVangogh wrote:
    > how can you just put a compilation 'on hold' without stopping it by a
    > ctrl-c?
    > I need to do this cause sometimes if i am compiling a big thing it can
    > take hours and the system seems to give priority to compilation process
    > slowing EVERYTHING down. If i could just lern how to 'pause' a
    > compilation - that would be cool.

    There is one further suggestion: use the STOP/CONT signals, with the
    kill(1) command.

    Interrupt the program with:

    $ kill -s STOP $pid

    Then do whatever, then restart the program with:

    $ kill -s CONT $pid

    HTH.
    --
    Michaƫl