Change DNS records on the fly - BSD

This is a discussion on Change DNS records on the fly - BSD ; I am about to lose 2 clas C blocks from 1 provider and and 2 from another. How can I make changes without have to go through max 512 DNS .db records? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca ...

  1. Change DNS records on the fly

    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca

  2. Re: Change DNS records on the fly

    The Doctor wrote:
    > I am about to lose 2 clas C blocks from 1 provider and and 2 from another.

    Welcome to the 21st century! We call them /24s these days.

    > How can I make changes without have to go through max 512 DNS .db records?

    sed is your friend.

    s/old_prefix/new_prefix/

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    All trails have more uphill sections that they have
    level or downhill sections.

  3. Re: Change DNS records on the fly

    The Doctor wrote:
    > I am about to lose 2 clas C blocks from 1 provider and and 2 from another.

    Welcome to the 21st century! We call them /24s these days.

    > How can I make changes without have to go through max 512 DNS .db records?

    sed is your friend.

    s/old_prefix/new_prefix/

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    All trails have more uphill sections that they have
    level or downhill sections.

  4. Re: Change DNS records on the fly

    In article ,
    Philip Paeps wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >> I am about to lose 2 clas C blocks from 1 provider and and 2 from another.

    >Welcome to the 21st century! We call them /24s these days.
    >
    >> How can I make changes without have to go through max 512 DNS .db records?

    >sed is your friend.
    >
    > s/old_prefix/new_prefix/
    >
    > - Philip
    >
    >--
    >Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    >philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.
    >
    > All trails have more uphill sections that they have
    > level or downhill sections.

    All at once and not one at a time.
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    USA petition for dissolution of your nation!

  5. Re: Change DNS records on the fly

    In article ,
    Philip Paeps wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >> I am about to lose 2 clas C blocks from 1 provider and and 2 from another.

    >Welcome to the 21st century! We call them /24s these days.
    >
    >> How can I make changes without have to go through max 512 DNS .db records?

    >sed is your friend.
    >
    > s/old_prefix/new_prefix/
    >
    > - Philip
    >
    >--
    >Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    >philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.
    >
    > All trails have more uphill sections that they have
    > level or downhill sections.

    All at once and not one at a time.
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    USA petition for dissolution of your nation!

  6. Re: Change DNS records on the fly

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:26:04 +0000 (UTC), doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Philip Paeps wrote:
    >>The Doctor wrote:
    >>> I am about to lose 2 clas C blocks from 1 provider and and 2 from
    >>> another.

    >> Welcome to the 21st century! We call them /24s these days.
    >>
    >>> How can I make changes without have to go through max 512 DNS .db
    >>> records?

    >> sed is your friend.
    >>
    >> s/old_prefix/new_prefix/

    > All at once and not one at a time.

    If you really need help, you should start writing more descriptive
    questions. Philip was terse, but right. "All at once" means precisely
    _nothing_, so if you want more detailed instructions than "use sed", now
    is the time to:

    * Tell us more about the current setup:

    - the names of the domains

    - are you are talking about 'forward' DNS from name -> address
    resolution?

    - where are the zone files located?

    * Tell us how you want the "final" setup to look like. Careful: NOT
    how you currently EXPECT to get there. Just _what_ the setup should
    look after you have made the switch.

    Then, it may be possible for someone else to "spoon-feed" you with a sed
    script or the necessary steps. If that's not something you really very
    interested in (i.e. the "spoon-feeding" part), you should at least read
    the manpage of sed(1). It certainly works with multiple files.

    Hint: Look at the final command-line arguments in the SYNOPSIS section
    of FreeBSD sed's manpage, and then search for the `-i' option.

  7. Re: Change DNS records on the fly

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:26:04 +0000 (UTC), doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Philip Paeps wrote:
    >>The Doctor wrote:
    >>> I am about to lose 2 clas C blocks from 1 provider and and 2 from
    >>> another.

    >> Welcome to the 21st century! We call them /24s these days.
    >>
    >>> How can I make changes without have to go through max 512 DNS .db
    >>> records?

    >> sed is your friend.
    >>
    >> s/old_prefix/new_prefix/

    > All at once and not one at a time.

    If you really need help, you should start writing more descriptive
    questions. Philip was terse, but right. "All at once" means precisely
    _nothing_, so if you want more detailed instructions than "use sed", now
    is the time to:

    * Tell us more about the current setup:

    - the names of the domains

    - are you are talking about 'forward' DNS from name -> address
    resolution?

    - where are the zone files located?

    * Tell us how you want the "final" setup to look like. Careful: NOT
    how you currently EXPECT to get there. Just _what_ the setup should
    look after you have made the switch.

    Then, it may be possible for someone else to "spoon-feed" you with a sed
    script or the necessary steps. If that's not something you really very
    interested in (i.e. the "spoon-feeding" part), you should at least read
    the manpage of sed(1). It certainly works with multiple files.

    Hint: Look at the final command-line arguments in the SYNOPSIS section
    of FreeBSD sed's manpage, and then search for the `-i' option.

  8. Re: Change DNS records on the fly

    The Doctor wrote:
    > All at once and not one at a time.

    s/old_prefix/new_prefix/g