List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD? - BSD

This is a discussion on List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD? - BSD ; Obviously I hit Google first, but the laptops listed are fairly old - some as far back as 1999. I'm looking to buy a used laptop from maybe a year ago to install FreeBSD; but I'm not having any luck ...

  1. List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD?

    Obviously I hit Google first, but the laptops listed are fairly old -
    some as far back as 1999. I'm looking to buy a used laptop from maybe a
    year ago to install FreeBSD; but I'm not having any luck finding one
    that I know will work correctly with the built in Ethernet and wifi.
    Can somebody point me in the right direction to find some sort of magic
    list?

  2. Re: List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD?

    Justin wrote:
    > Obviously I hit Google first, but the laptops listed are fairly old -
    > some as far back as 1999. I'm looking to buy a used laptop from maybe a
    > year ago to install FreeBSD; but I'm not having any luck finding one
    > that I know will work correctly with the built in Ethernet and wifi.
    > Can somebody point me in the right direction to find some sort of magic
    > list?

    A good starting point:

    http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/

  3. Re: List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD?

    Warren Block wrote:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Obviously I hit Google first, but the laptops listed are fairly old -
    >> some as far back as 1999. I'm looking to buy a used laptop from maybe a
    >> year ago to install FreeBSD; but I'm not having any luck finding one
    >> that I know will work correctly with the built in Ethernet and wifi.
    >> Can somebody point me in the right direction to find some sort of magic
    >> list?

    > A good starting point:
    >
    > http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/

    Strange, that wasn't loading for me earlier. Now it is. There must
    have been something clogging up the tubes.

  4. Re: List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD?

    On Aug 10, 9:16*pm, Justin wrote:
    > Obviously I hit Google first, but the laptops listed are fairly old -
    > some as far back as 1999. *I'm looking to buy a used laptop from maybe a
    > year ago to install FreeBSD; but I'm not having any luck finding one
    > that I know will work correctly with the built in Ethernet and wifi.
    > Can somebody point me in the right direction to find some sort of magic
    > list?

    I just added mine to the list. The compaq F767NR routinely goes on
    sale for $499 or less. I paid $499 for 2G/250G.

    The wifi works when you update the ath code, and the nvidia-driver and
    nvidia-xconfig produce full resolution X.

    I haven't played with power yet.

    hawk

  5. Re: List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD?

    dochawk wrote:
    > On Aug 10, 9:16 pm, Justin wrote:
    >> Obviously I hit Google first, but the laptops listed are fairly old -
    >> some as far back as 1999. I'm looking to buy a used laptop from maybe a
    >> year ago to install FreeBSD; but I'm not having any luck finding one
    >> that I know will work correctly with the built in Ethernet and wifi.
    >> Can somebody point me in the right direction to find some sort of magic
    >> list?

    > I just added mine to the list. The compaq F767NR routinely goes on
    > sale for $499 or less. I paid $499 for 2G/250G.
    >
    > The wifi works when you update the ath code, and the nvidia-driver and
    > nvidia-xconfig produce full resolution X.
    >
    > I haven't played with power yet.
    >
    > hawk

    Meh... Power schmower. I won't be using it on a plane or something
    like that. Color me crazy but I can't concentrate with two apartment
    sized turbofans are at 60% throttle. Hehe..

  6. Re: List of Laptops that work with FreeBSD?

    On Sep 15, 7:31*pm, Justin wrote:
    > Meh... *Power schmower. *I won't be using it on a plane or something
    > like that. *Color me crazy but I can't concentrate with two apartment
    > sized turbofans are at 60% throttle. *Hehe..

    It would be nice, though, to be able to close the lid and put it to
    sleep, and resume where I left off. I don't have anything between
    "on" and "shutdown" at the moment.

    hawk

+ Reply to Thread