FreeBSD problem: Not allowed to access configuration - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD problem: Not allowed to access configuration - BSD ; As root, if i try to change any system settings in x - i get a message that i am not allowed to access the system configuration. Any ideas what is wrong here?...

  1. FreeBSD problem: Not allowed to access configuration

    As root, if i try to change any system settings in x - i get a message
    that i am not allowed to access the system configuration.

    Any ideas what is wrong here?

  2. Re: FreeBSD problem: Not allowed to access configuration

    vangogh wrote:
    > As root, if i try to change any system settings in x - i get a message
    > that i am not allowed to access the system configuration.
    >
    > Any ideas what is wrong here?

    You're probably running X11 as an ordinary user and trying to start X11
    clients as root. You need to give root access to your display for this to
    work. Take a look at xhost(1) and xauth(1).

    On machines where I'm the only conceivably X11 user, I have in my .xsession:

    xhost +local:

    You will want to make sure you understand exactly what the above does before
    blindly putting it in a script you share among many X11 machines on dubious
    networks...

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.

  3. Re: FreeBSD problem: Not allowed to access configuration

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:11:42 +0000, Philip Paeps wrote:

    > You're probably running X11 as an ordinary user and trying to start X11
    > clients as root. You need to give root access to your display for this
    > to work. Take a look at xhost(1) and xauth(1).
    >
    > On machines where I'm the only conceivably X11 user, I have in my
    > .xsession:
    >
    > xhost +local:
    >
    > You will want to make sure you understand exactly what the above does
    > before blindly putting it in a script you share among many X11 machines
    > on dubious networks...
    >
    > - Philip

    If I do 'gnome_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf - i am able to edit the
    configuration settings.. but the system ALWAYS starts in x windows -
    which i dont want. does this tell you more about what is wrong?

  4. Re: FreeBSD problem: Not allowed to access configuration

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:11:42 +0000, Philip Paeps wrote:

    > vangogh wrote:
    >> As root, if i try to change any system settings in x - i get a message
    >> that i am not allowed to access the system configuration.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what is wrong here?

    > You're probably running X11 as an ordinary user and trying to start X11
    > clients as root. You need to give root access to your display for this
    > to work. Take a look at xhost(1) and xauth(1).
    >
    > On machines where I'm the only conceivably X11 user, I have in my
    > .xsession:
    >
    > xhost +local:
    >
    > You will want to make sure you understand exactly what the above does
    > before blindly putting it in a script you share among many X11 machines
    > on dubious networks...
    >
    > - Philip

    Another simple work-around is to add the following to root's shell rc
    file (e.g., .bashrc, .cshrc, .shrc, etc.):

    cp ~USER/.Xauthority /root

    Where USER is the ordinary username you use.

    --
    Theology, n.:
    The effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth

+ Reply to Thread