System freeze when logging out of X session: Help - BSD

This is a discussion on System freeze when logging out of X session: Help - BSD ; My laptop has xorg 7.3 on Freebsd 7. My xorg.conf file has: Section "Device" Identifier "card0" Driver "vesa" VendorName "S3 Inc" BoardName "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]" BusID "PCI:1:0:0" EndSection Problem is when I log out of gnome my system freezes completely ...

  1. System freeze when logging out of X session: Help

    My laptop has xorg 7.3 on Freebsd 7.
    My xorg.conf file has:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "card0"
    Driver "vesa"
    VendorName "S3 Inc"
    BoardName "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

    Problem is when I log out of gnome my system freezes completely and
    control+alt+backspace does not work. The keyboard becomes totally
    unresponsive and i must unplug the system to turn it off. I have
    searched this problem and seen that posts appear in the list archives
    back in 2006 about this issue. However, I cannot find any solution. Can
    someone please point me in the right direction for a solution to this
    please?

  2. Re: System freeze when logging out of X session: Help

    SamG wrote:
    > My laptop has xorg 7.3 on Freebsd 7.
    > My xorg.conf file has:
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "card0"
    > Driver "vesa"
    > VendorName "S3 Inc"
    > BoardName "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
    > BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Problem is when I log out of gnome my system freezes completely and
    > control+alt+backspace does not work. The keyboard becomes totally
    > unresponsive and i must unplug the system to turn it off. I have
    > searched this problem and seen that posts appear in the list archives
    > back in 2006 about this issue. However, I cannot find any solution. Can
    > someone please point me in the right direction for a solution to this
    > please?

    Cced in case you didn't see my earlier response. Try using the
    xf86-video-savage driver instead of vesa, and disable DRI in xorg.conf.

  3. Re: System freeze when logging out of X session: Help

    Warren Block wrote:
    > SamG wrote:
    >> My laptop has xorg 7.3 on Freebsd 7.
    >> My xorg.conf file has:
    >> Section "Device"
    >> Identifier "card0"
    >> Driver "vesa"
    >> VendorName "S3 Inc"
    >> BoardName "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
    >> BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Problem is when I log out of gnome my system freezes completely and
    >> control+alt+backspace does not work. The keyboard becomes totally
    >> unresponsive and i must unplug the system to turn it off. I have
    >> searched this problem and seen that posts appear in the list archives
    >> back in 2006 about this issue. However, I cannot find any solution. Can
    >> someone please point me in the right direction for a solution to this
    >> please?

    > Cced in case you didn't see my earlier response.

    ....to an undeliverable address. Please don't use a real hostname if
    you're obscuring your email. Numerous tutorials are available on the
    web for the right way to do that.

    > Try using the xf86-video-savage driver instead of vesa, and disable
    > DRI in xorg.conf.

  4. Re: System freeze when logging out of X session: Help

    Warren Block wrote:

    > Cced in case you didn't see my earlier response. Try using the
    > xf86-video-savage driver instead of vesa, and disable DRI in xorg.conf.

    I had this problem this morning on my home machine that i have just
    reinstalled with FreeBSD-7.0. The X display could only survive a few
    minutes before freezing ( note i had the same problem with Linux).
    This was with a Radeon 9200 card, and the radeon driver, and a VIA chipset.
    Disabling DRI seems to have cured the problem. The syntax is
    Option "DRI" "false"
    in the Device section.

    --

    Michel TALON