Corrupt partition - BSD

This is a discussion on Corrupt partition - BSD ; Hi, I have a Pioneer DVR-433 personal video recorder with a hard drive. The harddisk crashed yesterday. Took out the harddisk and connected it to my Windows PC. The filesystem is FreeBSD. The partition is visible, but it says that ...

  1. Corrupt partition

    Hi,

    I have a Pioneer DVR-433 personal video recorder with a hard drive.

    The harddisk crashed yesterday. Took out the harddisk and connected it to my
    Windows PC.

    The filesystem is FreeBSD. The partition is visible, but it says that it's
    unformatted.

    Have recovered most of the data, but is there any way of telling the drive
    that it's formatted (without formatting it of course :-)

    Pleaes help,
    David

  2. Re: Corrupt partition

    David DB wrote:

    > I have a Pioneer DVR-433 personal video recorder with a hard drive.
    >
    > The harddisk crashed yesterday. Took out the harddisk and connected it to my
    > Windows PC.
    >
    > The filesystem is FreeBSD. The partition is visible, but it says that it's
    > unformatted.
    >
    > Have recovered most of the data, but is there any way of telling the drive
    > that it's formatted (without formatting it of course :-)

    How sure are you that it's FreeBSD? If it's just a partition type of
    165, or some automated tool saying it's FreeBSD... be careful. There
    are variations on UFS used by several operating systems. Using FreeBSD
    tools on those may not be the best idea.

    If it really is FreeBSD, fsck(8) of the same OS version might be all it
    needs.

  3. Re: Corrupt partition

    "Warren Block" wrote in message
    > David DB wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a Pioneer DVR-433 personal video recorder with a hard drive.
    >>
    >> The harddisk crashed yesterday. Took out the harddisk and connected it to
    >> my
    >> Windows PC.
    >>
    >> The filesystem is FreeBSD. The partition is visible, but it says that
    >> it's
    >> unformatted.
    >>
    >> Have recovered most of the data, but is there any way of telling the
    >> drive
    >> that it's formatted (without formatting it of course :-)

    > How sure are you that it's FreeBSD? If it's just a partition type of
    > 165, or some automated tool saying it's FreeBSD... be careful. There
    > are variations on UFS used by several operating systems. Using FreeBSD
    > tools on those may not be the best idea.
    >
    > If it really is FreeBSD, fsck(8) of the same OS version might be all it
    > needs.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    Hi Warren!

    Have been able to salvage most of the data so there is no crisis if the
    format thing does not work.

    Several program states that it's FreeBSD partition, but it's unformated.

    Have no clue what you mean by fsck(8).

    What I need is to fool the system that the disk is formatted without
    actually formatting and deleting all data.

    David

  4. Re: Corrupt partition

    David DB wrote:

    > "Warren Block" wrote in message
    >> David DB wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have a Pioneer DVR-433 personal video recorder with a hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> The harddisk crashed yesterday. Took out the harddisk and connected
    >>> it to my Windows PC.
    >>>
    >>> The filesystem is FreeBSD. The partition is visible, but it says
    >>> that it's unformatted.
    >>>
    >>> Have recovered most of the data, but is there any way of telling the
    >>> drive that it's formatted (without formatting it of course :-)

    >> How sure are you that it's FreeBSD? If it's just a partition type of
    >> 165, or some automated tool saying it's FreeBSD... be careful. There
    >> are variations on UFS used by several operating systems. Using FreeBSD
    >> tools on those may not be the best idea.
    >>
    >> If it really is FreeBSD, fsck(8) of the same OS version might be all it
    >> needs.
    >>

    > Have been able to salvage most of the data so there is no crisis if the
    > format thing does not work.
    >
    > Several program states that it's FreeBSD partition, but it's unformated.

    More likely it's an FFS filesystem used by an embedded operating system
    like VxWorks. Can any of the unnamed programs deal with FFS or UFS?
    Windows can't, at least not without add-on software.

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?q...SE&format=html

    > What I need is to fool the system that the disk is formatted without
    > actually formatting and deleting all data.

    The end object being to read it on Windows, right? Then you should be
    looking for packages that will let Windows see an FFS or UFS filesystem:

    http://ffsdrv.sourceforge.net/index.php
    http://www.crossmeta.com/crossmeta.html

  5. Re: Corrupt partition

    David DB wrote:
    > "Warren Block" wrote in message
    >> David DB wrote:
    >>> I have a Pioneer DVR-433 personal video recorder with a hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> The harddisk crashed yesterday. Took out the harddisk and connected it to
    >>> my
    >>> Windows PC.
    >>>
    >>> The filesystem is FreeBSD. The partition is visible, but it says that
    >>> it's
    >>> unformatted.
    >>>
    >>> Have recovered most of the data, but is there any way of telling the
    >>> drive
    >>> that it's formatted (without formatting it of course :-)

    >> How sure are you that it's FreeBSD? If it's just a partition type of
    >> 165, or some automated tool saying it's FreeBSD... be careful. There
    >> are variations on UFS used by several operating systems. Using FreeBSD
    >> tools on those may not be the best idea.
    >>
    >> If it really is FreeBSD, fsck(8) of the same OS version might be all it
    >> needs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    > Hi Warren!
    >
    > Have been able to salvage most of the data so there is no crisis if the
    > format thing does not work.
    >
    > Several program states that it's FreeBSD partition, but it's unformated.
    >
    > Have no clue what you mean by fsck(8).
    >
    > What I need is to fool the system that the disk is formatted without
    > actually formatting and deleting all data.
    >
    > David

    A couple of links to check out:

    http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/d...ion=recover_hd

    "The Pioneer DVR HDD is formated with OpenBsd Linux system."
    (Love Linux bit!)

    and:

    http://www.stellarinfo.com/bsd-file-recovery.htm

    Maybe it's useful?