help on dump/restore - BSD

This is a discussion on help on dump/restore - BSD ; Need help BIG time! From the begining. got 1 freebsd box and #of xp boxes looking at it do the samba the bsd box has 2 hards, 1 os on it second mounted as "/data" the samba one I recently ...

  1. help on dump/restore

    Need help BIG time!

    From the begining.
    got 1 freebsd box and #of xp boxes looking at it do the samba
    the bsd box has 2 hards, 1 os on it second mounted as "/data" the
    samba one
    I recently bought a usb drive and mounted as "/backup"
    did "dump -0u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    later on as data changed did
    "dump -1u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    "dump -2u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    "dump -3u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    well #2 drive the one"/data" died about 2 days ago
    with seatools drive came back to life less the data
    as i type
    "restore -rvyf /backup/backup_data"
    i get this
    "Verify tape ...
    Tape block ...
    Header with wrong dumpdate.
    Dump date: -date-
    Dumped from: -date-
    Level 3 dump of /data on ....
    Label: none
    Begin incremental restore
    Initialize symbol table.
    open: No such file or directory
    cannot open symbol table file ./restoresymtable
    stat: Bad file descriptor
    cannot stat symbol table file ./restoresymtable
    read: Invalid argument
    cannot read symbol table file ./restoresymtable
    Incremental tape too low"

    I tryed "restore -if /backup/backup_data" and only recoverd
    what was changed on level 3 just 2 files.

    this file "backup_data" is about 190gig big so dump lev 0 - 2 is in
    there,
    I just cannot find how to bring it back.

    Thank you!

  2. Re: help on dump/restore

    garomarz66@gmail.com wrote:
    > Need help BIG time!
    >
    > From the begining.
    > got 1 freebsd box and #of xp boxes looking at it do the samba
    > the bsd box has 2 hards, 1 os on it second mounted as "/data" the
    > samba one
    > I recently bought a usb drive and mounted as "/backup"
    > did "dump -0u -f /backup/backup_data /data"

    That's a full dump of /data to the file /backup/backup_data.

    > later on as data changed did
    > "dump -1u -f /backup/backup_data /data"

    Not good. That overwrote the full backup file with a level 1 dump, just
    the files that changed since the level 0 dump.

    > "dump -2u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    > "dump -3u -f /backup/backup_data /data"

    And those overwrote the same backup file again.

    > well #2 drive the one"/data" died about 2 days ago
    > with seatools drive came back to life less the data
    > as i type
    > "restore -rvyf /backup/backup_data"
    > i get this
    > "Verify tape ...
    > Tape block ...
    > Header with wrong dumpdate.
    > Dump date: -date-
    > Dumped from: -date-
    > Level 3 dump of /data on ....
    > Label: none
    > Begin incremental restore
    > Initialize symbol table.
    > open: No such file or directory
    > cannot open symbol table file ./restoresymtable
    > stat: Bad file descriptor
    > cannot stat symbol table file ./restoresymtable
    > read: Invalid argument
    > cannot read symbol table file ./restoresymtable
    > Incremental tape too low"
    >
    > I tryed "restore -if /backup/backup_data" and only recoverd
    > what was changed on level 3 just 2 files.
    >
    > this file "backup_data" is about 190gig big so dump lev 0 - 2 is in
    > there,
    > I just cannot find how to bring it back.

    Unfortunately, it may be that's all you'll get. dump isn't built to
    update an existing file, just write one. So if you want incremental
    backups, you do a level 0 dump to a file, then other levels to *other*
    files. To restore, you restore from the level 0 file, then the others.

  3. Re: help on dump/restore

    On Aug 4, 1:46*pm, Warren Block wrote:
    > Unfortunately, it may be that's all you'll get. *dump isn't built to
    > update an existing file, just write one. *So if you want incremental
    > backups, you do a level 0 dump to a file, then other levels to *other*
    > files. *To restore, you restore from the level 0 file, then the others.

    Thank you Warren.
    So this means no way for recovery?

  4. Re: help on dump/restore

    garomarz66@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 4, 1:46*pm, Warren Block wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, it may be that's all you'll get. *dump isn't built to
    >> update an existing file, just write one. *So if you want incremental
    >> backups, you do a level 0 dump to a file, then other levels to *other*
    >> files. *To restore, you restore from the level 0 file, then the others.

    > Thank you Warren.
    > So this means no way for recovery?

    I hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like.

    There are some things that might help in /usr/ports/sysutils/:
    ffs2recov, magicrescue, maybe others.

    Don't write to /data, or even mount it other than read-only. dd the
    slice to another drive and then experiment with recovery on that drive.
    Good luck!

  5. Re: help on dump/restore

    On Aug 4, 2:13*pm, Warren Block wrote:
    > garomar...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Aug 4, 1:46*pm, Warren Block wrote:
    > >> Unfortunately, it may be that's all you'll get. *dump isn't built to
    > >> update an existing file, just write one. *So if you want incremental
    > >> backups, you do a level 0 dump to a file, then other levels to *other*
    > >> files. *To restore, you restore from the level 0 file, then the others.

    > > Thank you Warren.
    > > So this means no way for recovery?

    > I hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like.
    >
    > There are some things that might help in /usr/ports/sysutils/:
    > ffs2recov, magicrescue, maybe others.
    >
    > Don't write to /data, or even mount it other than read-only. *dd the
    > slice to another drive and then experiment with recovery on that drive.
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    Thanks Warren, I will wait for others but I'm guessin its goin to be
    usless.
    there is only one possible is to hack the file to expose lev 2 lev 1
    lev 0.
    and again thats beyond my know how.

    Thanks anyways.

  6. Re: help on dump/restore

    garomarz66@gmail.com wrote:
    : Need help BIG time!
    :
    : From the begining.
    : got 1 freebsd box and #of xp boxes looking at it do the samba
    : the bsd box has 2 hards, 1 os on it second mounted as "/data" the
    : samba one
    : I recently bought a usb drive and mounted as "/backup"
    : did "dump -0u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    : later on as data changed did
    : "dump -1u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    : "dump -2u -f /backup/backup_data /data"
    : "dump -3u -f /backup/backup_data /data"

    If those are really the commands you typed without moving the file
    /backup/backup_data out of the way between each dump command, you now
    only have the files that changed between the level2 and level3 dumps,
    if that. I'm pretty sure dump doesn't concatenate, and then since
    the directory of the dump is at the beginning, if it did concatenate
    it probably wouldn't know that there was more directory information
    further down.

    The restore r option will usually insist on seeing a level 0 dump to
    start things off.

    Your options at this point might include keeping the /data filesystem
    read-only and trying to salvage things from the "c" partition/slice
    of that drive. Likely most of the data from the earlier dumps is there,
    but just as blocks on the raw slice/partition. Text files might be
    recoverable and in pieces that can be reassembled, but any database/binary
    data is probably too hard to retrieve.

    It's also too late now, but as cheap as IDE drives are, you should have
    bought a new drive and set the old one aside until you knew your data was
    restored from the backups, particularly if you have never tried to
    use restore before. Even the malfunctioning drive might have
    had some/most contents salvaged by a data restoration house, but once you
    put a new filesystem on it, you made old content retrieval very
    difficult.

    Each invocation of dump should be stored under a different filename, at
    least until you reach the point when you are certain that you won't
    need that existing file ever again.

    For example, I use SYSTEMNAME.FILESYSTEM.ddmmmyyyy.levelX.dump for the
    filename, eg foobox.data.4aug2008.level0.dump. From that dump I then
    do a "restore tf" of the dump file and save it to the file
    SYSTEMNAME.FILESYSTEM.ddmmmyyyy.levelX.ls. This naming format has the
    advantages that it is hard to clobber an existing file unless you take
    the same level dump more than once a day (why?), and I can ship them
    to another system for safety and they won't get confused with backups
    that came from other systems. Doing the restore tf is also a minimal
    sanity check of the dump, plus now you have an easy-to-use list of what
    is actually on that dump. I keep both files together.

    The issue you ran into is not unique to dump. There are similar
    restrictions on the output file with tar and cpio, although with the
    right options ammending an existing tar/cpio archive is possible.
    However, now that we don't use 9-track tapes anymore, I would never
    ever advise that tar or cpio be used that way.

    Frank Durda IV - send mail to this address and remove the "LOSE":
    http://nemesis.lonestar.org
    "I picked up a Magic 8-Ball the other day and it said 'Outlook not so good'.
    I said 'Sure, but Microsoft still ships it.'"
    Copyright 2008, ask before reprinting.

+ Reply to Thread