Message keeps printing out: acpi_tz:_TMP value is.. - BSD

This is a discussion on Message keeps printing out: acpi_tz:_TMP value is.. - BSD ; I installed bsd version 7 on my desktop pc (emachine, 2.30ghz, 80gb hd, 256mb ram.) it duel boots with windows xp & minix. i previously had version 6.2 & no real problems. When I boot up and the login prompt ...

  1. Message keeps printing out: acpi_tz:_TMP value is..

    I installed bsd version 7 on my desktop pc (emachine, 2.30ghz, 80gb hd,
    256mb ram.) it duel boots with windows xp & minix. i previously had
    version 6.2 & no real problems.

    When I boot up and the login prompt appears this is what happens every
    few seconds:

    myhost login: acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)

    ......and so on adinfinitum.

    If I try to log on, my password etc is interuppted with this message. I
    managed to type in my user & password and even when logged in I got the
    same message repeating itself.
    Now, I found that if i (alt-F2 etc), i can get a new console which does
    not display the message and i can use these. But the message carries on
    on console 0.

    But i would like to fix this problem. I read a few posts from google
    which reveal that this has something to do with the bios & temparatures.
    No post i have read seems to offer a solution to this. Does anyone be
    able to help with this?

  2. Re: Message keeps printing out: acpi_tz:_TMP value is..

    SamG wrote:
    > I installed bsd version 7 on my desktop pc (emachine, 2.30ghz, 80gb hd,
    > 256mb ram.) it duel boots with windows xp & minix. i previously had
    > version 6.2 & no real problems.
    >
    > When I boot up and the login prompt appears this is what happens every
    > few seconds:
    >
    > myhost login: acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    > acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    > acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    > acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    >
    > .....and so on adinfinitum.
    >
    > If I try to log on, my password etc is interuppted with this message. I
    > managed to type in my user & password and even when logged in I got the
    > same message repeating itself.
    > Now, I found that if i (alt-F2 etc), i can get a new console which does
    > not display the message and i can use these. But the message carries on
    > on console 0.

    Right, system messages go to the first console by default.

    > But i would like to fix this problem. I read a few posts from google
    > which reveal that this has something to do with the bios & temparatures.
    > No post i have read seems to offer a solution to this. Does anyone be
    > able to help with this?

    ACPI bugs are apparently pretty common. Check for a motherboard BIOS
    update in the hopes that the manufacturer has fixed them. The other
    extreme is to boot with ACPI disabled. You can do that from the boot
    menu, or with hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf.

    According to the acpi(4) man page, you can selectively disable parts of
    ACPI. I've never messed with that.

    If you can only get it to run with ACPI disabled, you can still get some
    power control with apm. But try the other stuff first.

  3. Re: Message keeps printing out: acpi_tz:_TMP value is..

    Begin <48975cd2$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>
    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:47:34 +0100, SamG wrote:
    > When I boot up and the login prompt appears this is what happens every
    > few seconds:
    >
    > myhost login: acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)
    > acpi_tz: _TMP value is absurd, ignored(-269.40)

    [snip!]
    > .....and so on adinfinitum.

    Looks like an ACPI problem alright, specifically the ``thermal zone''
    part of it. If the exact same hardware didn't make that happen in 6.3,
    then it seems to be a regression and should be reported as such.

    acpi(4) has a little more info.

    > If I try to log on, my password etc is interuppted with this message. I
    > managed to type in my user & password and even when logged in I got the
    > same message repeating itself.
    >
    > Now, I found that if i (alt-F2 etc), i can get a new console which does
    > not display the message and i can use these. But the message carries on
    > on console 0.

    That would be because syslog is configured to do that. You can turn it
    off in the syslog config (there should be a handbook section on that, as
    well as the usual syslog manpages).

    > But i would like to fix this problem.

    I'm afraid you'll have to dig in deep for this one. Best ask the folks
    on the relevant mailinglist (freebsd-acpi@) about it. You can also
    look up how to write a Problem Report (PR), gather up the relevant
    information, write the PR, then follow up on that on the relevant
    mailinglist. It's a bit of work but the usual way to reach the people
    that wrote the thing with the information they need to fix it.