Urgent help needed - cannot boot Freebsd - BSD

This is a discussion on Urgent help needed - cannot boot Freebsd - BSD ; I installed version 7 on a dual boot machine with windows xp. Previously i had a linux partition and booted with lilo. for some reason during the install, i did not get the option to install the freebsd boot manager. ...

  1. Urgent help needed - cannot boot Freebsd

    I installed version 7 on a dual boot machine with windows xp. Previously
    i had a linux partition and booted with lilo.

    for some reason during the install, i did not get the option to install
    the freebsd boot manager. Now when i start my computer, l get lilo. If i
    select linux, the system stips with a error.

    I cannot install everything again - so is there a quick way to fix this?
    (i am downloading the live fs disk - my boot disk is the first drive and
    freebsd is on my second hard disk drive)

    please help me.

  2. Re: Urgent help needed - cannot boot Freebsd

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:55:31 +0100, SamG wrote:

    >I installed version 7 on a dual boot machine with windows xp. Previously
    >i had a linux partition and booted with lilo.
    >
    >for some reason during the install, i did not get the option to install
    >the freebsd boot manager. Now when i start my computer, l get lilo. If i
    >select linux, the system stips with a error.
    >
    >I cannot install everything again - so is there a quick way to fix this?
    >(i am downloading the live fs disk - my boot disk is the first drive and
    >freebsd is on my second hard disk drive)
    >
    >please help me.

    You should be able to go into the partition - options on the
    installation cd, and then choose "q" for quit and get the option to
    install freebsd's boot manager. That way you won't be forced to
    reinstall everything and only get the boot manager.

    In the good old days you had to remove lilo by booting a win95/98
    startdisk and use the command fdisk /mbr. I'm not sure if you can
    access that from inside xp or even from the xp recovery console (on
    the xp installation cd). Not sure if lilo has to be removed for
    freebsd to offer you the option to install it's bootmanager.

  3. Re: Urgent help needed - cannot boot Freebsd

    SamG wrote:
    : for some reason during the install, i did not get the option to install
    : the freebsd boot manager. Now when i start my computer, l get lilo. If i
    : select linux, the system stips with a error.
    : please help me.

    Boot using the normal disc 1 FreeBSD CD-ROM, same version as the
    OS already installed on the hard disk.

    Select Custom
    Select Partition

    In Partition, click/select the appropriate hard disk.

    When the existing partition table is displayed, make sure your
    existing FreeBSD partition shows up. If it doesn't appear, STOP.
    If you selected the wrong drive, hit RESET and start over.

    If the partition table looks OK, press the "w" key by itself. You may
    be asked to confirm that you are really wanting to write this right
    now. Say Yes.

    Now, you should be shown the choices of installing the boot manager
    or leaving the old one as is. Select Boot manager and OK.

    The boot manager/MBR should be written right then, without disturbing
    any filesystems on the disk.

    Now, without doing anything else, exit all the way out of the
    installation menus to Exit Install, reboot and remove the CD-ROM.

    After POST/BIOS completes, you should then get the no-default boot
    manager prompts for DOS/FreeBSD. Choose and go.

    Frank Durda IV - send mail to this address and remove the "LOSE":
    http://nemesis.lonestar.org
    "I used to take unwanted Microsoft Compact Discs and use them as drink
    coasters, but their CDs, like their software, have holes in them."
    Copyright 2008, ask before reprinting.

+ Reply to Thread