X server not being terminated by- <Ctrl><alt><bkspce>. - BSD

This is a discussion on X server not being terminated by- <Ctrl><alt><bkspce>. - BSD ; FreeBsd 7 installed on my system. A fitjitsu / siemens 1020 laptop with celeron 1.5 ghz processor , 20GB HD, 128 RAM. I followed the instruction and created a new xorg.conf file - with correct valuses for Horiz / Sync ...

  1. X server not being terminated by- <Ctrl><alt><bkspce>.

    FreeBsd 7 installed on my system. A fitjitsu / siemens 1020 laptop with
    celeron 1.5 ghz processor , 20GB HD, 128 RAM. I followed the instruction
    and created a new xorg.conf file - with correct valuses for Horiz / Sync
    etc.

    I can startx and gnome works fine - no trouble at all. The problem comes
    when I come to shut down or log out.

    1. Even when i tested the new xorg.conf file (without changes at first)
    the X server seemed to start ok in the test state (with black and white
    dots and the mouse cursor appearing). The handbook say to press the
    sequence to kill the x server and to return to console. When i did this,
    the screen just went blank. No inputs seemed to have an effect - not
    even Ctrl, alt, del would force a shutdown.

    2. I now can startx but if i just log out the same problem occurs and
    the system seems to lock up. The only way i can shut down is by pulling
    the plug (which will soon damage my laptop) or by an xterm window.

    I want to correct this problem - Has anyone had a similar problem or got
    any ideas what is causing this?

  2. Re: X server not being terminated by- <Ctrl><alt><bkspce>.

    SamG wrote:
    > FreeBsd 7 installed on my system. A fitjitsu / siemens 1020 laptop with
    > celeron 1.5 ghz processor , 20GB HD, 128 RAM. I followed the instruction
    > and created a new xorg.conf file - with correct valuses for Horiz / Sync
    > etc.
    >
    > I can startx and gnome works fine - no trouble at all. The problem comes
    > when I come to shut down or log out.
    >
    > 1. Even when i tested the new xorg.conf file (without changes at first)
    > the X server seemed to start ok in the test state (with black and white
    > dots and the mouse cursor appearing). The handbook say to press the
    > sequence to kill the x server and to return to console. When i did this,
    > the screen just went blank. No inputs seemed to have an effect - not
    > even Ctrl, alt, del would force a shutdown.
    >
    > 2. I now can startx but if i just log out the same problem occurs and
    > the system seems to lock up. The only way i can shut down is by pulling
    > the plug (which will soon damage my laptop) or by an xterm window.
    >
    > I want to correct this problem - Has anyone had a similar problem or got
    > any ideas what is causing this?

    Seen the same problem on a motherboard with integrated Savage video.
    I think just disabling DRI worked, as described here:

    http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/arch...p/t-46981.html