Newbie 7.0 install advice - BSD

This is a discussion on Newbie 7.0 install advice - BSD ; i am made the choice to install the 7.0 release. I had used older version 6.2 before, but abandoned it cause i had problems upgrading when the X stuff was changed recently. i want to make a fresh start and ...

  1. Newbie 7.0 install advice

    i am made the choice to install the 7.0 release. I had used older version
    6.2 before, but abandoned it cause i had problems upgrading when the X
    stuff was changed recently. i want to make a fresh start and want to do it
    right! I am no expert thats why i ask for help here.

    I have downloaded:
    1. 7.0 release i386, disc 1, 2 & 3. Can i just burn these normally or do i
    need to make them specially bootable? 2. Do i need the docs iso and
    livefs iso as well? Also, how do i use checksum MD5 - Sha25? do i need
    these?

    thanks

  2. Re: Newbie 7.0 install advice

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:36:27 +0100, gk wrote:

    > i am made the choice to install the 7.0 release. I had used older
    > version 6.2 before, but abandoned it cause i had problems upgrading when
    > the X stuff was changed recently. i want to make a fresh start and want
    > to do it right! I am no expert thats why i ask for help here.
    >
    > I have downloaded:
    > 1. 7.0 release i386, disc 1, 2 & 3. Can i just burn these normally or do
    > i need to make them specially bootable? 2. Do i need the docs iso and
    > livefs iso as well? Also, how do i use checksum MD5 - Sha25? do i need
    > these?
    >
    > thanks

    See section 2.13.1 in the handbook:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...iff-media.html

  3. Re: Newbie 7.0 install advice

    "Ben Jones" wrote in message
    newsuIkk.106651$9I1.29954@newsfe16.ams2...
    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:36:27 +0100, gk wrote:
    >
    >> i am made the choice to install the 7.0 release. I had used older
    >> version 6.2 before, but abandoned it cause i had problems upgrading when
    >> the X stuff was changed recently. i want to make a fresh start and want
    >> to do it right! I am no expert thats why i ask for help here.
    >>
    >> I have downloaded:
    >> 1. 7.0 release i386, disc 1, 2 & 3. Can i just burn these normally or do
    >> i need to make them specially bootable? 2. Do i need the docs iso and
    >> livefs iso as well? Also, how do i use checksum MD5 - Sha25? do i need
    >> these?
    >>
    >> thanks

    > See section 2.13.1 in the handbook:
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...iff-media.html

    I hate when snobs answer sincere questions like this. So I have a few
    minutes to explain more details.

    You actually only need the disc1 iso CD to install FreeBSD. I have preferred
    this method because even though CD's are cheap and easily burned, why go
    through it when all the stuff you need is on line anyway. You can even get
    by with the boot-only iso if you're a cheap-o like me.

    The docs are also readily available on line. You don't need them but if you
    just have to burn a CD which will be obselete in less than a year or so, go
    ahead and burn away.

    My preferred method for install is to download the disc1 iso and then mount
    it using mdconfig. I then take one of my old FreeBSD install CD's and boot
    the computer I'm going to install on. Then making a few changes in the
    options screen I can install via FTP over my LAN which is really fast and I
    don't waste time or CD's burning copies of stuff which is all on line
    anyway. And with today's high-speed access you can install via FTP directly
    from FreeBSD.org as well.

  4. Re: Newbie 7.0 install advice

    Begin
    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 06:07:11 -0400, Vladimir Tserijemwtz wrote:
    > I hate when snobs answer sincere questions like this. So I have a few
    > minutes to explain more details.

    What, telling people to read the quite comprehensive answer in the
    document that was written to provide just that without having it to
    re-write it again for every asker is snobbery now? I suppose we'll just
    be grateful you see spelling and punctuation as some upper class tool to
    repress the masses, eh?

  5. Re: Newbie 7.0 install advice

    gk wrote:
    > i am made the choice to install the 7.0 release. I had used older version
    > 6.2 before, but abandoned it cause i had problems upgrading when the X
    > stuff was changed recently. i want to make a fresh start and want to do it
    > right! I am no expert thats why i ask for help here.
    >
    > I have downloaded:
    > 1. 7.0 release i386, disc 1, 2 & 3. Can i just burn these normally or do i
    > need to make them specially bootable?

    You need to burn them as images. How to do that depends on your CD
    burning software. On Windows CD applications, it might be hidden in a
    menu. Seems like specifics on Nero and others have been posted
    somewhere, but I can't find them in the Handbook or FAQ.

    > 2. Do i need the docs iso and livefs iso as well?

    Not for an install, no. Usually not afterwards.

    > Also, how do i use checksum MD5 - Sha25? do i need these?

    The MD5 and SHA256 numbers are checksums of the ISO files. If the MD5
    and/or SHA256 number of the file you downloaded matches the one listed,
    you can be fairly sure that the file is identical with the true FreeBSD
    file, not corrupted or modified.

    How to run md5 depends on what is available. If nothing else is
    available, you should be able to use the live FS CD. There's kind of a
    chicken-and-egg thing with that. As far as running the commands, on
    FreeBSD, it's just

    md5 filename.iso
    sha256 filename.iso

  6. Re: Newbie 7.0 install advice

    Vladimir Tserijemwtz wrote:
    > "Ben Jones" wrote in message
    > newsuIkk.106651$9I1.29954@newsfe16.ams2...
    >>
    >> See section 2.13.1 in the handbook:
    >> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...iff-media.html

    > I hate when snobs answer sincere questions like this.

    Being concise is not a bad thing. When I post links like that, or just
    a pointer to a man page, it means:

    "Here's some information that may be helpful. It's definitive, or
    maybe just a hint. Maybe I don't have more information, or just
    not time to post it all; maybe what I do know would just confuse
    things. In the meantime, I hope this will help."

    Don't go looking for attitude and insults in empty space. We've had
    plenty of both here, and they are generally explicit and unsubtle.