Changing the console COM port in freeBSD 7 - BSD

This is a discussion on Changing the console COM port in freeBSD 7 - BSD ; I am trying to get virtual serial boot console working with ilo standard on a proliant DL380G4. Since the ILO reserves COM1, I need to redirect the console to COM2 and reconfigure the boot parameters. The BSD handbook says to ...

  1. Changing the console COM port in freeBSD 7

    I am trying to get virtual serial boot console working with ilo
    standard on a
    proliant DL380G4.

    Since the ILO reserves COM1, I need to redirect the console to COM2
    and
    reconfigure the boot parameters. The BSD handbook says to use this
    line
    in the kernel configuration file:

    device sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 flags 0x10 irq 3

    but config reports a syntax error on this line. Is the handbook in
    error? Do I need to set the flags for sio1 in the HINTS file? What is
    the correct way to change the com port?

    Thanks,
    --
    Barry Friedman

  2. Re: Changing the console COM port in freeBSD 7

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:38:38 -0700 (PDT), "pub_mbox@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    >I am trying to get virtual serial boot console working with ilo
    >standard on a
    >proliant DL380G4.
    >
    >Since the ILO reserves COM1, I need to redirect the console to COM2

    Hi,
    You dont need to modify the kernel anymore. You just need to
    adjust the /boot/device.hints

    Change
    hint.sio.0.flags="0x10"
    hint.sio.1.flags="0x10"