FBSD-7.0 ATA cdrom hang (07/28/2008) - BSD

This is a discussion on FBSD-7.0 ATA cdrom hang (07/28/2008) - BSD ; After OS cvsup update and install today (07/28/2008), my ATA cdrom is no longer able to mount an iso9660 CD on the "first pass". After issuing the mount command, there is a long CD read, and then nothing. Sometime afterwards ...

  1. FBSD-7.0 ATA cdrom hang (07/28/2008)

    After OS cvsup update and install today (07/28/2008), my ATA cdrom is no
    longer able to mount an iso9660 CD on the "first pass". After issuing
    the mount command, there is a long CD read, and then nothing. Sometime
    afterwards the following error messages occur. The last one occurs after
    removing and reinserting the CD (sometimes more than once). The entire
    process takes up to a couple of minutes. Prior to the 07/28 OS cvsup
    update, there was no such problem with the ATA cdrom drive.

    kernel: acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (1 retry left)
    kernel: acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (0 retries left)
    kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out
    kernel: acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (1 retry left)
    kernel: GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0t01 is iso9660/CDROM.

  2. Re: FBSD-7.0 ATA cdrom hang (07/28/2008)

    Begin <4PWdnXO639GxPxPVnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@ll.net>
    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:52:58 -0500,
    chimes@no.more.spam wrote:
    > After OS cvsup update and install today (07/28/2008),

    That unfortunately does not indicate what version you updated to.

    > my ATA cdrom is no longer able to mount an iso9660 CD on the "first
    > pass".

    That sounds like it might be a regression. Things to start with are
    verifying it is: Try with a CD known to be working under the previous
    version (specify) to rule out a faulty CD, maybe swap drives to rule out
    a dirty drive. You may believe this to be the case, but double-checking
    it anyway might save red faces later on.

    Having done that, discussing the problem in a more appropriate place,
    like freebsd-current@ for the -CURRENT track, and perhaps filing a PR,
    would be a better idea, as you'd want to get hold of the people who
    wrote the changes so they can fix the regression/problem/whatever it is.