Multimedia DB - BSD

This is a discussion on Multimedia DB - BSD ; Is there any software available that I could use to manage a large database of multimedia files? Ideally I'd like to run it with FreeNAS. -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK http://www.theconsensus.org/ - A UK political party http://www.onetribe.me.uk/wordpress/?cat=5 - Our ...

  1. Multimedia DB

    --
    Dirk

  2. Re: Multimedia DB

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:06:05 +0100,
    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Is there any software available that I could use to manage a large
    > database of multimedia files? Ideally I'd like to run it with FreeNAS.

    Not sure what you mean by that. Should it store multimedia files (ie,
    very large opaque objects) inside a database? If so, I don't really have
    an answer. There appear to be a number projects to manage people's mp3
    collections using some sql backend; this may be enough for you.

    For something powerfully fancy mmbase[1] comes to mind. AIUI it's a
    system geared toward tooling custom multimedia CMSes, and it is in use
    by various Dutch broadcasters' websites. Setting it up appears to be
    non-trivial, but it can be made to support non-technical users -- I
    assume, as that was a design goal. I myself have no direct experience
    with it, I just used to chat with the people who built it.

    [1] mmbase.org

  3. Re: Multimedia DB

    jpd wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:06:05 +0100,
    > Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >> Is there any software available that I could use to manage a large
    >> database of multimedia files? Ideally I'd like to run it with FreeNAS.

    > Not sure what you mean by that. Should it store multimedia files (ie,
    > very large opaque objects) inside a database? If so, I don't really have
    > an answer. There appear to be a number projects to manage people's mp3
    > collections using some sql backend; this may be enough for you.
    >
    > For something powerfully fancy mmbase[1] comes to mind. AIUI it's a
    > system geared toward tooling custom multimedia CMSes, and it is in use
    > by various Dutch broadcasters' websites. Setting it up appears to be
    > non-trivial, but it can be made to support non-technical users -- I
    > assume, as that was a design goal. I myself have no direct experience
    > with it, I just used to chat with the people who built it.
    >

    > [1] mmbase.org

    Basically I'm putting together a NAS, probably based around FreeNAS, to
    store around 16TB of AV data. Currently the only categorisation is
    whether it's audio or video. Which means I have potentially tens of
    thousands of files dumped into two folder (or whatever they are called
    in the Unix world). I need some kind of front end so a user can search
    them without scrolling through the lot.

    --
    Dirk

  4. Re: Multimedia DB

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:07:01 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

    > jpd wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:06:05 +0100,
    >> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >>> Is there any software available that I could use to manage a large
    >>> database of multimedia files? Ideally I'd like to run it with FreeNAS.

    >> Not sure what you mean by that. Should it store multimedia files (ie,
    >> very large opaque objects) inside a database? If so, I don't really have
    >> an answer. There appear to be a number projects to manage people's mp3
    >> collections using some sql backend; this may be enough for you.
    >>
    >> For something powerfully fancy mmbase[1] comes to mind. AIUI it's a
    >> system geared toward tooling custom multimedia CMSes, and it is in use
    >> by various Dutch broadcasters' websites. Setting it up appears to be
    >> non-trivial, but it can be made to support non-technical users -- I
    >> assume, as that was a design goal. I myself have no direct experience
    >> with it, I just used to chat with the people who built it.
    >>

    >> [1] mmbase.org
    >>

    > Basically I'm putting together a NAS, probably based around FreeNAS, to
    > store around 16TB of AV data. Currently the only categorisation is
    > whether it's audio or video. Which means I have potentially tens of
    > thousands of files dumped into two folder (or whatever they are called
    > in the Unix world). I need some kind of front end so a user can search
    > them without scrolling through the lot.

    You could look in ports (does freeNAS have ports?) for something
    multimedia or db related. If it's not in ports you will have a job on.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  5. Re: Multimedia DB

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:07:01 +0100,
    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    [snip!]
    > Basically I'm putting together a NAS, probably based around FreeNAS, to
    > store around 16TB of AV data. Currently the only categorisation is
    > whether it's audio or video. Which means I have potentially tens of
    > thousands of files dumped into two folder (or whatever they are called
    > in the Unix world).

    Though FreeBSD should be able to deal with that throught directory
    hashing, it's probably a better idea to categorise that many files
    in a few more categories anyway.

    > I need some kind of front end so a user can search
    > them without scrolling through the lot.

    A quick look through ports shows things like www/mod_mp3 and
    www/mod_musicindex. FreeNAS apparently comes with lighthttpd, which
    makes sense, but that doesn't help with trying to run apache modules.

    Then again, it's supposed to be a NAS, not an application server. The
    provided webserver is for managing the NAS, not so much to play music.
    Operating as NAS means it provides a big disk on the network and you'd
    then depend on your client to do the accessing, searching, and so on and
    so forth -- independent of the technology managing the storage.

    So if you want front-end-y things while sticking to the NAS model, then
    you get to look at applications for whatever system your users are
    using. Those applications would then talk to the NAS box over samba or
    something, and the NAS only does the storage thing.

    If you want an application server, look throught the ports collection
    for various options. freshports.org provides a nice search interface.