Dell OptiPlex SX270 - thermal monitoring? - BSD

This is a discussion on Dell OptiPlex SX270 - thermal monitoring? - BSD ; I got this old machine, a SX270[1] that I thought I would put to use as my workstation (yes, my current workstation have lower specs than this machine. Don't laugh!). I have installed FreeBSD[2] 7.0-stable on it (i386). Normal[3] and ...

  1. Dell OptiPlex SX270 - thermal monitoring?

    I got this old machine, a SX270[1] that I thought I would put to use as
    my workstation (yes, my current workstation have lower specs than this
    machine. Don't laugh!).
    I have installed FreeBSD[2] 7.0-stable on it (i386). Normal[3] and
    verbose[4] dmesgs are available. Everything seems to work, but there is
    one thing tha doesn't: it doesn't report thermal parameters via acpi:
    root@kg-work2# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal
    sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.acpi.thermal'

    In fact the whole acpi section from sysctl seems a bit incomplete:
    root@kg-work2# sysctl hw.acpi
    hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
    hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
    hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
    hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
    hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
    hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
    hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
    hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
    hw.acpi.verbose: 0
    hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot: 0
    hw.acpi.handle_reboot: 0
    hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
    hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1

    There is an acpidump[5] available too (from 'acpidump -dt').

    The bios on this machine is from 2004, and that might be the cause. I
    couldn't find a newer bios than version A06, release date 09/29/2004.
    Does anybody know about a newer bios for thios machine anywhere?

    Or does anybody know how to fix the DSDT in the bios to enable thernal
    reporting?
    Or perhaps there is a way to read the temperature off the cpu, like the
    coretemp(4) driver?

    For those who wonders: yes, I have tried mbmon, lmmon from ports, but
    they didn't report anything useful as far as temperature goes.
    root@kg-work2# mbmon -d -A
    ioctl(smb0pen): No such file or directory
    SMBus[Intel8XX(ICH/ICH2/ICH3/ICH4/ICH5/ICH6)] found, but No HWM
    available on it!!
    Summary of Detection:
    * No monitors found.
    InitMBInfo: Bad file descriptor
    This program needs "setuid root"!!

    Output from 'lmmon -si':
    Motherboard Temp Voltages

    255C / 491F / 528K Vcore1: +3.984V
    Vcore2: +3.984V
    Fan Speeds + 3.3V: +3.984V
    + 5.0V: +6.654V
    1: 0 rpm +12.0V: +15.938V
    2: 0 rpm -12.0V: -15.938V
    3: 0 rpm - 5.0V: -6.654V

    I think 255 degrees Celsius is a bit unrealistic, the machine can't fry
    eggs yet. :-)

    anyway, any good hints will be gratefully accepted.