Firefox 3 and Flash 9 - BSD

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 and Flash 9 - BSD ; Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3 on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0? Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead? Thanks....

  1. Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3
    on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0?

    Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    : Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3
    : on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0?
    :
    : Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead?

    Having same/similar issue. Need Firefox + Java + Flash plugins working
    as well as Acrobat (doesn't have to be plug-in but nice).

    I was somewhat annoyed by the port that when you try to do the build
    it instantly says it can't be used on this OS. Well, why did it offer
    this item as an available port in the first place then? I'm on a plain
    i386 platform, not something obscure. (It looked like amd64 wouldn't
    have worked either.)

    I elected to then try 6.3 because of this (and went back to the last
    Firefox 2 port) and got Flash supposedly working but in practice when
    I hit the wrong web page with the wrong flash-based ad, Firefox wedges.
    Not consuming any CPU, but dead, waiting on something that locks
    things good. Firefox won't even redraw itself in any of its other windows
    if you cover or move the window. Have to kill -15 firefox and restart and
    hope you don't hit the same flash ad again, but in practice about every
    20th page ad shown on Yahoo that day killed it again.

    Oh, and there is a difference between the package/port building
    and installing, and actually working. Firefox/X kicked out numerous
    messages about calls in libraries being missing or not compatible
    but only when you actually reach a page that wants to use something.
    This was despite following the handbook instructions for these pieces.
    Sounds like port/package dependencies are not right.

    Finally reinstalled from scratch and put FF 2 on without Flash
    and it doesn't have the death now, but now there are pages that are
    just non-functional because 100% of their controls or content is done
    in Flash.

    As most people will tell you, a web browser that must have these three
    trinkets (Java, Flash and Acrobat) working reliably is now needed for
    perhaps a third of the working day, this non-functionality is a growing
    problem and I suggest some effort be put into getting all these bits
    to work together cleanly. That includes updating the handbook
    instructions to actually get that result, or perhaps ship a combined
    package that has Firefox plus all the right pieces from executables to
    plugins to libraries all in one ball so it isn't a multi-hour ordeal
    with spotty success.

    Frank Durda IV - send mail to this address and remove the "LOSE":
    http://nemesis.lonestar.org
    "Your company has become synonymous with incompetence and crime. Stop
    trying to be all things to all people. Focus on either the incompetence
    or the crime."-Dogbert
    Copyright 2008, ask before reprinting.

  3. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    Frank Durda IV wrote:
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    >: Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3
    >: on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0?
    >:
    >: Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead?
    >
    > Having same/similar issue. Need Firefox + Java + Flash plugins working
    > as well as Acrobat (doesn't have to be plug-in but nice).
    >
    > I was somewhat annoyed by the port that when you try to do the build
    > it instantly says it can't be used on this OS. Well, why did it offer
    > this item as an available port in the first place then? I'm on a plain
    > i386 platform, not something obscure. (It looked like amd64 wouldn't
    > have worked either.)

    Please define "it" more precisely. Flash 7? 9? Flash 7 has a security
    problem which stops the port being built unless you override it. Flash
    9 is not yet functional on any FreeBSD system, last I knew.

    For i386, Flash 7 somewhat works on both FF2 and 3. So does jdk14/15
    and acroread. nspluginwrapper helps.

    > I elected to then try 6.3 because of this (and went back to the last
    > Firefox 2 port) and got Flash supposedly working but in practice when
    > I hit the wrong web page with the wrong flash-based ad, Firefox wedges.
    > Not consuming any CPU, but dead, waiting on something that locks
    > things good. Firefox won't even redraw itself in any of its other windows
    > if you cover or move the window. Have to kill -15 firefox and restart and
    > hope you don't hit the same flash ad again, but in practice about every
    > 20th page ad shown on Yahoo that day killed it again.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of closed binaries. Install
    flashblock.mozdev.org to be in control of where Flash is allowed to
    execute.

    As far as replacing closed binaries, xpdf can be used in place of
    Acrobat Reader. gnash 0.8.3 can be used in place of the genuine Flash
    binary, but fails far more often than the real thing. Adobe released
    some Flash specifications recently that might help future gnash
    improvements.

    Sun has been making noises about a real open source Java for some time.
    A few years ago it would have been a bigger deal. Flash seems to be
    used a lot more than Java on the web now.

  4. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    Frank Durda IV wrote:
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > : Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3
    > : on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0?
    > :
    > : Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead?
    >
    > Having same/similar issue. Need Firefox + Java + Flash plugins working
    > as well as Acrobat (doesn't have to be plug-in but nice).
    >
    > I was somewhat annoyed by the port that when you try to do the build
    > it instantly says it can't be used on this OS. Well, why did it offer
    > this item as an available port in the first place then? I'm on a plain
    > i386 platform, not something obscure. (It looked like amd64 wouldn't
    > have worked either.)
    >
    > I elected to then try 6.3 because of this (and went back to the last
    > Firefox 2 port) and got Flash supposedly working but in practice when
    > I hit the wrong web page with the wrong flash-based ad, Firefox wedges.

    There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine.
    Java i have not tried.

    --

    Michel TALON

  5. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:37 +0000 (UTC),
    Michel Talon wrote:

    > There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    > install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    > and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine.

    You can be such a joker. :-)

  6. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    Frank Durda IV wrote:
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > : Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3
    > : on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0?
    > :
    > : Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead?
    >
    > Having same/similar issue. Need Firefox + Java + Flash plugins working
    > as well as Acrobat (doesn't have to be plug-in but nice).
    >
    > I was somewhat annoyed by the port that when you try to do the build
    > it instantly says it can't be used on this OS. Well, why did it offer
    > this item as an available port in the first place then? I'm on a plain
    > i386 platform, not something obscure. (It looked like amd64 wouldn't
    > have worked either.)
    >
    > I elected to then try 6.3 because of this (and went back to the last
    > Firefox 2 port) and got Flash supposedly working but in practice when
    > I hit the wrong web page with the wrong flash-based ad, Firefox wedges.
    > Not consuming any CPU, but dead, waiting on something that locks
    > things good. Firefox won't even redraw itself in any of its other windows
    > if you cover or move the window. Have to kill -15 firefox and restart and
    > hope you don't hit the same flash ad again, but in practice about every
    > 20th page ad shown on Yahoo that day killed it again.
    >
    > Oh, and there is a difference between the package/port building
    > and installing, and actually working. Firefox/X kicked out numerous
    > messages about calls in libraries being missing or not compatible
    > but only when you actually reach a page that wants to use something.
    > This was despite following the handbook instructions for these pieces.
    > Sounds like port/package dependencies are not right.
    >

    > Finally reinstalled from scratch and put FF 2 on without Flash
    > and it doesn't have the death now, but now there are pages that are
    > just non-functional because 100% of their controls or content is done
    > in Flash.
    >
    > As most people will tell you, a web browser that must have these three
    > trinkets (Java, Flash and Acrobat) working reliably is now needed for
    > perhaps a third of the working day, this non-functionality is a growing
    > problem and I suggest some effort be put into getting all these bits
    > to work together cleanly. That includes updating the handbook
    > instructions to actually get that result, or perhaps ship a combined
    > package that has Firefox plus all the right pieces from executables to
    > plugins to libraries all in one ball so it isn't a multi-hour ordeal
    > with spotty success.

    As a new user of Firefox 2/3, who switched from Konqueror because of a
    install/runtime issues with KDE 3 on OpenBSD 4.3, I prefer Konqueror by
    a long shot. I will shortly be switching to FreeBSD 7.0 as my main
    web interface, partly because I can run Konqueror there with no problems.
    I never use Java or Flash, mostly because there seems to be no way
    to easily install those two programs on *BSD. Not havig Flash is
    becoming a problem because of the increase in the number of websites
    that use Flash and provide no alternative. I really look foreward to
    running Konqueror as my browser again.

    > Frank Durda IV - send mail to this address and remove the "LOSE":
    > http://nemesis.lonestar.org
    > "Your company has become synonymous with incompetence and crime. Stop
    > trying to be all things to all people. Focus on either the incompetence
    > or the crime."-Dogbert
    > Copyright 2008, ask before reprinting.

  7. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3
    > on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0?
    >
    > Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead?

    Not reliably. "Flash" is proprietary Adobe technology and for reasons known
    only to them, they do not provide support for FreeBSD. It may be possible to
    run some versions under the Linux emulator, but results are indeterminate.

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    It's tough to get reallocated when you're the one who's redundant.

  8. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    jpd wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:37 +0000 (UTC),
    > Michel Talon wrote:
    >> There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    >> install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    >> and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine.

    > You can be such a joker. :-)

    Pot. Kettle. Black.

    Anyway, he misspelled "whine"...

    - M

  9. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:37 +0000, Michel Talon wrote:

    > There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    > install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    > and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine. Java
    > i have not tried.

    Except that wine, unfortunately, is completely unusable under amd64. :-(

    --
    PROOF OF GOD #136. ARGUMENT FROM SERIOUS ASSERTION
    (1) God exists.

  10. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:37 +0000, Michel Talon wrote:
    > >
    > > There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    > > install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    > > and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine. Java
    > > i have not tried.

    > Except that wine, unfortunately, is completely unusable under amd64. :-(

    Sorry, i did not know. You mean, the 32 bits version of wine doesn't
    work under amd64? At least it works for me on Linux (and runs quite a
    large number of Windows applications here).

    --

    Michel TALON

  11. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    On Jul 20, 9:57 am, jpd wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:37 +0000 (UTC),
    >
    > Michel Talon wrote:
    >
    > > There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    > > install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    > > and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine.

    > You can be such a joker. :-)

    Or else you could install Solaris. Solaris has full Adobe support.

    :-)

    On a serious note, I'm interested in seeing if it's possible to get
    FreeBSD working on a Sun Blade 2000. Mine has an XVR-1000, XVR-600
    already installed, and I have an XVR-500 I haven't tried yet.

    Maybe this is a good way to break into FreeBSD kernel development. I
    know Solaris isn't exactly speedy on older HW.

    DMM

  12. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    >> Except that wine, unfortunately, is completely unusable under amd64. :-(
    >>

    > Sorry, i did not know. You mean, the 32 bits version of wine doesn't
    > work under amd64? At least it works for me on Linux (and runs quite a
    > large number of Windows applications here).

    I've not gotten the chance to try it yet, but from what I someone on one of
    the mailing lists (not the newsgroup) told me a while ago, if you set '-m32'
    (I think? the compile a 32 bit binary) in your C flags and C++ flags, wine
    will compile and run fine. At that point, you just need to remove the entry
    from the Makefile that tells it to abort the make attempt.

    Unfortunately, I've other things requiring I stay with i386, so I haven't
    been able to test if this works or not. I figure since I've heard it, and
    I've not had anyone counter the point, I ought toss the idea out here for
    you. Can anyone confirm this is or isn't functional?

    -Jim Stapleton

  13. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    jpd wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:37 +0000 (UTC),
    > Michel Talon wrote:
    >> There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    >> install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    >> and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine.

    > You can be such a joker. :-)

    Call me sick, but I had some time on my hands and did just that...

    Works like a charm

  14. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:40:17 -0400, S James S Stapleton wrote:

    >>> Except that wine, unfortunately, is completely unusable under amd64.
    >>> :-(
    >>>

    >> Sorry, i did not know. You mean, the 32 bits version of wine doesn't
    >> work under amd64? At least it works for me on Linux (and runs quite a
    >> large number of Windows applications here).
    >>

    > I've not gotten the chance to try it yet, but from what I someone on one
    > of the mailing lists (not the newsgroup) told me a while ago, if you set
    > '-m32' (I think? the compile a 32 bit binary) in your C flags and C++
    > flags, wine will compile and run fine. At that point, you just need to
    > remove the entry from the Makefile that tells it to abort the make
    > attempt.

    Hmm...I'll give that a shot, and report back. I don't recall offhand if
    I ever tried that before.

    --
    PROOF OF GOD #11. ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL
    INCREDULITY (I)

  15. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:33:20 UTC, Us wrote:

    > jpd wrote:
    > > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:38:37 +0000 (UTC),
    > > Michel Talon wrote:
    > >> There is a *much* simpler solution for Flash under FreeBSD. Simply
    > >> install wine, and then install under wine the Windows version of Firefox
    > >> and Flash. This works perfectly fine with recent versions of wine.

    > > You can be such a joker. :-)

    > Call me sick, but I had some time on my hands and did just that...
    >
    > Works like a charm

    Bloody does, too!

    Thanks!

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  16. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:33:20 UTC, Us wrote:
    >
    >> jpd wrote:
    >>> You can be such a joker. :-)

    >> Call me sick, but I had some time on my hands and did just that...
    >>
    >> Works like a charm

    > Bloody does, too!
    >
    > Thanks!

    OK, but it crashes a bit too often

  17. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:48:53 UTC, Us wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:

    > >> Call me sick, but I had some time on my hands and did just that...
    > >>
    > >> Works like a charm

    > > Bloody does, too!
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > OK, but it crashes a bit too often

    Been using it a fair amount; no crashes yet. Ports are all right up to
    date as of Sunday.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  18. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    S James S Stapleton wrote:
    > >> Except that wine, unfortunately, is completely unusable under amd64. :-(
    > >>

    > > Sorry, i did not know. You mean, the 32 bits version of wine doesn't
    > > work under amd64? At least it works for me on Linux (and runs quite a
    > > large number of Windows applications here).
    > >

    > I've not gotten the chance to try it yet, but from what I someone on one of
    > the mailing lists (not the newsgroup) told me a while ago, if you set '-m32'

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...ne-1.1.1,1.tbz

    --

    Michel TALON

  19. Re: Firefox 3 and Flash 9

    Philip Paeps wrote:
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > > Is there any way to get Flash 9 running in Firefox 3
    > > on 64-bit AMD FreeBSD 7.0?
    > >
    > > Failing that, how about getting Flash 7 to work instead?

    > Not reliably. "Flash" is proprietary Adobe technology and for reasons known
    > only to them, they do not provide support for FreeBSD. It may be possible to
    > run some versions under the Linux emulator, but results are indeterminate.
    >
    > - Philip

    Anyways, i have Flash 7 running apparently correctly under FreeBSD-7, at
    least it is good enough to watch YouTube clips, including sound. The
    setup is very simple:
    - get somewhere the Flash7 binary. I have linux-flashplugin-7.0r69
    installed. Apparently the present port linux-flashplugin-7 builds
    without any problem. The configuration screen asks to build
    nspluginwrapper, which is fine.
    - install nspluginwrapper.

    Then run
    nspluginwrapper -i -v /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

    This installs a plugin in ~/.mozilla/plugins, called
    npwrapper.libflashplayer.so. If desired one can copy it to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
    so that any one can use it, but then one needs to chmod a+rx it.

    Problem solved, at least on firefox2, firefox3 and mozilla. I have
    checked it works here, but doesn't work on opera and konqueror. For the
    sites needing Flash9 the only solution is to run Windows Firefox under
    wine.

    --

    Michel TALON

+ Reply to Thread