gvinum -> kernel panic - BSD

This is a discussion on gvinum -> kernel panic - BSD ; Hi One of the drive of my RAID1 array failed today. Drive just stopped responding Following various tutorials like this one: http://devel.reinikainen.net/docs/ho...um/#Chapter6.1 I tried to re-create a disk. However, no matter what I do, FreeBSD will just kernel panic with ...

  1. gvinum -> kernel panic

    Hi

    One of the drive of my RAID1 array failed today. Drive just stopped responding

    Following various tutorials like this one:
    http://devel.reinikainen.net/docs/ho...um/#Chapter6.1

    I tried to re-create a disk.

    However, no matter what I do, FreeBSD will just kernel panic with a
    fatal trap 12 error.

    I tried booting my existing disk in single user mode (/ partition isn't
    on RAID and works just fine)
    I tried with the FreeBSD 7 live disk.

    It doesn't matter what I do .

    It will always end-up with a kernel panic.

    My existing /etc/vinum.conf file is this:
    drive drive1 device /dev/ad1s1e
    drive drive2 device /dev/ad2s1e
    volume data setupstate
    plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive drive1
    plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive drive2

    As soon as I type :
    drive drive1 device /dev/ad1s1e -> kernel panic

    /dev/ad1s1e exists

    I read some reports aboug gvinum crashing if you try to create a drive
    on a device that doesn't exist.
    But that's not the case here. Plus those posts were quite old..

    I'm at loss really, has anyone experience such problem ?

    Thanks
    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  2. Re: gvinum -> kernel panic

    Hi

    I'm starting to have very cold sweats...

    On 2008-07-17 22:28:27 +1000, JYA said:
    > I read some reports aboug gvinum crashing if you try to create a drive
    > on a device that doesn't exist.
    > But that's not the case here. Plus those posts were quite old..
    >
    > I'm at loss really, has anyone experience such problem ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jean-Yves

    After a reboot, starting gvinum showed no configuration whatsoever.

    So I reloaded my original vinum.conf file:
    drive drive1 device /dev/ad1s1e
    drive drive2 device /dev/ad2s1e
    volume data setupstate
    plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive drive1
    plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive drive2

    Now it shows in vinum:
    2 drives:
    D drive2 State: up /dev/ad2s1 A: 0/76316 MB (0%)
    D drive1 State: up /dev/ad1s1 A: 0/76316 MB (0%)

    1 volume:
    V setupstate State: down Plexes: 2 Size: 74 GB

    2 plexes:
    P setupstate.p0 C State: down Subdisks: 1 Size: 74 GB
    P setupstate.p1 C State: down Subdisks: 1 Size: 74 GB

    2 subdisks:
    S setupstate.p0.s0 State: stale D: drive1 Size: 74 GB
    S setupstate.p1.s0 State: stale D: drive2 Size: 74 GB

    Am I to assume that all my files are now gone ??
    What is this setupstate ?
    what happened to my "data" volume ?

    Any help will be more than greatly appreciated ...

    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  3. Re: gvinum -> kernel panic

    On 2008-07-17 23:21:15 +1000, JYA said:

    > Am I to assume that all my files are now gone ??
    > What is this setupstate ?
    > what happened to my "data" volume ?
    >
    > Any help will be more than greatly appreciated ...

    I think I understand what happened there.
    That configuration file was created a while ago, using vinum.

    I've switched to gvinum a while back (FreeBSD 5), and it looks like the
    configuration file aren't exactly the same anymore...
    that's why it's creating stuff as it is now

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  4. Re: gvinum -> kernel panic

    On 2008-07-18 00:00:15 +1000, JYA said:
    > I've switched to gvinum a while back (FreeBSD 5), and it looks like the
    > configuration file aren't exactly the same anymore...
    > that's why it's creating stuff as it is now

    Ok, I managed to sort it out.

    I believe the crash comes from having defining the RAID array a while
    ago, using vinum. While gvinum can use those drives, it obviously
    really dislikes working on the array itself.

    So what I did was this: (I assume the disk have been properly
    partitioned and label edited to change the partition type to vinum)

    -Download FreeBSD 7 liveiso and start it
    -load the vinum kernel module:
    %kldload /dist/boot/kernel/geom_vinum.ko
    -delete the RAID configuration:
    %gvinum resetconfig
    -reboot FreeBSD in single user mode
    -reload vinum kernel module
    %gvinum
    gvinum -> create vinum.conf
    gvinum -> setstat -f stale
    gvinum -> start

    Wait until the array is rebuilt

    reboot.

    Alternatively, if you do no want to use FreeBSD 7 (the resetconfig
    configuration has been removed from some reason in FreeBSD 6) then you
    can also do the following:
    dd bs=512 count=265 < /dev/null > /dev/disk_partition

    make sure you boot in single user mode before doing so and that
    geom_vinum isn't loaded yet.

    This is equivalent to doing a resetconfig.

    Hope this help.

    I had really cold sweat yesterday .... some data I couldn't afford to
    loose (and yes, I've already done a backup now)

    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

+ Reply to Thread